Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your race calendar look like?

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to knock over 90 minutes off my marathon finish time...

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's your race calendar look like?

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to knock over 90 minutes off my marathon finish time...
    Wicked fast, for sure.

I'd be elated to shave 6 minutes off my half finish. In fact, that is my one and only goal. I want to break three hours SO bad.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Please let me know if you figure this out and feel free to share with the group!!
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Please let me know if you figure this out and feel free to share with the group!!
    Word

Blog Entries

Getting up off my tookus and back out on the road to train would go a long way to make that happen. I've managed to peel 40 minutes off my finish time from the first half marathon to where I am today; gotta figure real training would help at least make a dent in the marathon finish time!

RunningFool

Just in case any of us might be thinking about a 2014 Boston qualification...

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/20...gistration-faq
    To be honest, a BQ has always been one of those far-fetched running dreams, totally out of my realm. But I've thought about the race so much this last week, and now I wonder what would happen if I really gave it try, for say, 2 years out or so. Will have to see how I feel about marathons after the Dopey!
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    To be honest, a BQ has always been one of those far-fetched running dreams, totally out of my realm. But I've thought about the race so much this last week, and now I wonder what would happen if I really gave it try, for say, 2 years out or so. Will have to see how I feel about marathons after the Dopey!
    One method is to keep running as you age. The age categories get slower as you get older.

Since I'm an old geezer, I don't have to run spring chicken times like you. But looking around, there's some theory that says I'd need to be able to do a half-marathon in 1:50 if I wanted to even consider a 4-hour marathon. The last time I did a full was in 2003 and it was not even remotely close to my marathon PR (funny to even use that phrase, but I guess technically I've done three, and my PR from my second I think was something in the neighborhood of 4:40... 21 years ago!!)... and I'm not about to try to set a PR doing Dopey. The earliest I could try to train for a BQ PR would be late next year (at the earliest, and I'd be pushing it), so nothing earlier than 2015 and that's assuming my legs move that fast.

There are ways to try to fundraise your way without qualifying, but I think you have to be chosen to do it, and you have to raise a crapload of money.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    There are ways to try to fundraise your way without qualifying, but I think you have to be chosen to do it, and you have to raise a crapload of money.
    BINGO! I get my number running for Boston Children's Hospital and believe me, I'm a much better fundraiser than I am a runner (and not ashamed of that AT ALL) I commit to $4,000 per year (they now ask for $5,000 from some new runners) There are charitable teams from everywhere who make up a very large part of the Boston field. I've always wanted to give qualifying a run so to speak but damn life just gets in the way and I'm ok with that. I think most can relate (work, father, husband, coach, etc, etc) FYI Lani, I'm an old geezer as well my dear I don't think I have a 3:25 marathon time in me. (you can figure out my old age bracket)
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    FYI Lani, I'm an old geezer as well my dear I don't think I have a 3:25 marathon time in me. (you can figure out my old age bracket)
    I'm a slightly older geezer than you... and as a female they give my age category an extra 35 minutes over you! lol.

I see you've got the 2014 race in your sig file already; as a continuing fundraiser for the hospital, do you get a guaranteed spot from them? That's awesome!
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries

On a plane heading to Nashville for RnR Country Music. Let's hope I don't biff this one (freakout over running the Golden Gate Bridge) or pull a DNS due to migraine. Of course, we're hearing 60% chance of rain on Saturday for the race...

RunningFool

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    On a plane heading to Nashville for RnR Country Music. Let's hope I don't biff this one (freakout over running the Golden Gate Bridge) or pull a DNS due to migraine. Of course, we're hearing 60% chance of rain on Saturday for the race...
    I don't think it's the storm that blew through here yesterday. Spawned a couple of (small) tornados - I was without power for 4 hours - my neighbors behind me had their generator running all night - and when I left for work in the am -the broken pole was still hanging from the wires on their street! Oh, and street flooding enough to pop manhole covers.

If it is that storm - hope it's not as bad for you. It's one you as a PNWer would have stopped what you were doing! (PNWers tend to pretend like it's not raining, because if they stopped everything due to a little rain - they'd never do anything!)
    Cathy

I'm a slightly older geezer than you... and as a female they give my age category an extra 35 minutes over you! lol.

I see you've got the 2014 race in your sig file already; as a continuing fundraiser for the hospital, do you get a guaranteed spot from them? That's awesome!
    Yes Lani this past Boston was supposed to be my last Boston (at least for a while) but it'll be tough to end a great run (no pun intended) like that. There are rumors the BAA will issue the runners who did not finish a waiver to run next year - no matter what happens or how they decide to proceed I will come back and run for Children's for a 6th year.
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I don't think it's the storm that blew through here yesterday. Spawned a couple of (small) tornados - I was without power for 4 hours - my neighbors behind me had their generator running all night - and when I left for work in the am -the broken pole was still hanging from the wires on their street! Oh, and street flooding enough to pop manhole covers.

If it is that storm - hope it's not as bad for you. It's one you as a PNWer would have stopped what you were doing! (PNWers tend to pretend like it's not raining, because if they stopped everything due to a little rain - they'd never do anything!)
    And the funny thing is I haven't really run a distance run in the rain back home. I have to travel clear across the country to get soaked!

We're now at 80% chance of rain on Saturday...
    RunningFool

One method is to keep running as you age. The age categories get slower as you get older.
    Yes, I've thought of that but I've noticed that they seem to keep making those qualifying times faster and faster, so that as of today I would need to finish in 3:55, almost the same as when I was in the next younger age bracket a few years ago. So no, getting older doesn't seem to be helping
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

And the funny thing is I haven't really run a distance run in the rain back home. I have to travel clear across the country to get soaked!

We're now at 80% chance of rain on Saturday...
    You got this!! Remember, keep a trash bag handy for just waiting around in the rain. Now go have a great run!!
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Blog Entries
    You got this!! Remember, keep a trash bag handy for just waiting around in the rain. Now go have a great run!!
    Thank you! A great run is my goal. I've got a disposable camping poncho on hand to walk to the start (and stand until our corral hits the start). I will get this one finished!

Hit the packet pickup this morning (didn't get to the expo - will be returning later today). LOTS of security. Mounted police outside the expo venue. Lots of additional security in the building. Much more structure to get to bib pickup (actual 'Disney' queue lines). Backpacks are being checked. And the woman who showed up with a huge roller bag and carry-on direct from the airport had to open everything for a search.

They are also giving all the participants a blue and yellow Boston rubber bracelet.
    RunningFool

Headless Chicken

Looking at doing the Mother's Day 5K in Santa Monica. Would like to do something to honor my late mom that day, and I think that would be perfect.

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That sounds lovely, Disneyphile! Girls on the run are doing a 5k that day as well that I think I may do.

I also decided I'm not doing the 5k the day before my half on May 19. It's a 'Heart Walk' , so not exactly taxing, but I figure I can lend my cheer leading prowess to the cause! At least 2 of my sisters and some of our next-door-neighbors from growing up are doing it as a team, so I might end up changing my mind still!

Cathy

Ugh. More to add to my calendar:

May 11- Color Run
    June 8- Gladiator Run
    August 31- DL 10k
    November 10- Wine and Dine
    January '14- Tink Half
    February '14- Princess Half and 10k

So much money.... Gonna need a lot of overtime in the next few months....

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipmunkStar View Post
    Ugh. More to add to my calendar:

May 11- Color Run
    June 8- Gladiator Run
    August 31- DL 10k
    November 10- Wine and Dine
    January '14- Tink Half
    February '14- Princess Half and 10k

So much money.... Gonna need a lot of overtime in the next few months....
    I noticed a sign on the run today saying "running is cheaper than plastic surgery". Yeah right...
    RunningFool

I noticed a sign on the run today saying "running is cheaper than plastic surgery". Yeah right...
    LOL, I had been slacking off in wearing sunscreen on my runs. I noticed I am getting more and more wrinkles since starting the "healthier lifestyle". I wore it Saturday and had a white pastey face when I was done, kinda gross.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbelle View Post
    LOL, I had been slacking off in wearing sunscreen on my runs. I noticed I am getting more and more wrinkles since starting the "healthier lifestyle". I wore it Saturday and had a white pastey face when I was done, kinda gross.
    I wear Nutrogena SPF 75 for faces every time I run, sunny or not.

Blog Entries

On my 'really hope to do' calendar for 2013 is the Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Fran this October (10/20/13). Now that they are through with their inaugural run in DC, we should be getting registration information for SFO. As you may know, this is a very difficult race to get into as it's by lottery unless you are a legacy and then you get first dibs (hey runDisney - you listening...?). I made it in once and injured myself at the airport on the way to the race (slipped off the curb, fell under our car, and had a nasty ankle sprain). Never have made it back in since.

Anyway, I'm putting together a team to give us a better chance of getting in. If one of the team is selected in the lottery, everyone on the team is in. The team can be a mix of marathon and half marathon participants (we don't need to start or run together to be considered a team); having a couple of marathoners in the mix greatly increases the chances as there aren't nearly as many who want to run that distance in SFO. Right now I've got about 40 runners/walkers who are interested and at least two are up for the marathon.

Sooooooo, if anyone is interested in joining 'the team' please let me know. I'm gathering names and will be signing up for the team code that everyone will use to register. I'll send that out, anyone who is interested uses that code when signing up via the lottery, and then we keep our fingers crossed that one of us is selected!

RunningFool

Is that really how it works? Only one person on the team needs to get in to have the whole team qualify?

Blog Entries

Do we know the date yet? It's usually October, right?