Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disneyland Resort Update

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Disneyland Resort Update

Disneyland Resort Update by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    Update for July 16 - 22, 2012
    Disney expands Extra Magic Hours | Disneyland anniversary event and USA Olympic volleyball team appearance | Start planning for Holiday Time | Disney Cruise Line News | Fifth annual Taste of Downtown Disney | This and That...

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Great update.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan

So does anyone know what the deal is with the back to back cruise restrictions? I used to work on a ship back in the 80's, and it wasn't at all uncommon for folks to book 7 or 8 cruises back to back. Is this something new, something to do with terrorism? Strange!!!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it might have to do with the ship being registered in the Bahamas and the requirements to visit foreign ports? Not sure why I think that, though.

Oh, Mary.....

Cathy

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    So does anyone know what the deal is with the back to back cruise restrictions? I used to work on a ship back in the 80's, and it wasn't at all uncommon for folks to book 7 or 8 cruises back to back. Is this something new, something to do with terrorism? Strange!!!
    It has to do with the Passenger Vessel Services Act, which essentially prohibits foreign-flagged ships from carrying passengers from one US port to another US port without making a stop in a "distant foreign port."

Supposedly this rule explains why Disney had to stop in Ensenada on the way back from Hawaii - they couldn't go from the Port of Los Angeles to Hawaii and straight back again without visiting a "distant foreign port." However, Ensenada is actually considered a "nearby foreign port," and an LA-Hawaii-Ensenada-LA itinerary is specifically used as an example of a "violative transportation" in the text of the PVSA, so I really don't know how ANY of the west coast cruises are allowed. Clearly there's some element of the regulation I'm missing.

Back-to-back cruises are considered to be the same voyage for evaluating whether a passenger transportation is legal or not. So the combination of the last Alaska cruise, which begins in Seattle and ends in Vancouver, and the repositioning cruise, which begins in Vancouver and ends in Los Angeles, is considered a Seattle to Los Angeles cruise for the purposes of the PVSA, and Vancouver does not meet the "distant foreign port" requirement.

Last year the Alaska cruises sailed out of Vancouver, so the last Alaska cruise (Vancouver to Vancouver) and the repo (Vancouver to Los Angeles) would have been "legal" even had Disney not scheduled the dry dock between them.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

The legislation mentioned in the update is from 1886! And it has to do with foreign flag ships transporting people from one US port to another port without leaving N. America. If they port in Central America, Carribean, etc (aka Panama cruises), they are fine. And if they return to the same port they are fine. If it was a US flagged ship, then they could be permitted to transport people.

ETA: AVP beat me to it.

Since the Hawaii cruise returns to the same port then they should be fine? (but still have to visit a foreign port). But I'm not positive on that one.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

OK, so now that we know what the law is, does anyone know WHY it is? What's the big deal with a ship hitting multiple U.S. ports? Why the legal push to hit foreign ports?

- James Taylor

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    OK, so now that we know what the law is, does anyone know WHY it is? What's the big deal with a ship hitting multiple U.S. ports? Why the legal push to hit foreign ports?
    C'mon, you don't want us to do ALL the research for you, do you?

It's just a tiny 18-page PDF, and I guarantee it will answer many questions, and raise a whole bunch more.

Federal laws protecting U.S. shipping date back to the First Congress in 1789. American shipping in the United States coastwise3 trade has been protected from foreign competition, in order to encourage the development of an American merchant marine, for both national defense and commercial purposes. As a result, all vessels engaged in the coastwise trade have been required to be coastwise-qualified (i.e., U.S.-built, owned and documented).
    AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Blog Entries

They're protecting home court advantage, Dan.

Cathy

Exactly. Most cruise ships sail under a flag of convenience (i.e. Bahamas) because that allows them a lot of freedom to do as they see fit. If they sailed under a U.S. Flag and only visited U.S. Ports, they would be bound to follow U.S. laws such as minimum wage. I assume it would also affect their ability to hire internationally unless all of their hires qualified for green cards.

I hadn't realized that you could go round-trip with only a foreign port but couldn't travel without a distant foreign port. The things I learn on Mouseplanet!

I'm not sure when I will ever need to use this new-found knowledge, but I do enjoy learning new things.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Supposedly this rule explains why Disney had to stop in Ensenada on the way back from Hawaii - they couldn't go from the Port of Los Angeles to Hawaii and straight back again without visiting a "distant foreign port." However, Ensenada is actually considered a "nearby foreign port," and an LA-Hawaii-Ensenada-LA itinerary is specifically used as an example of a "violative transportation" in the text of the PVSA, so I really don't know how ANY of the west coast cruises are allowed. Clearly there's some element of the regulation I'm missing.

AVP
    The example is actually LA -> Hawaii -> Ensanada -> San Diego. The violation is because they are transporting passengers from LA to San Diego without the far away foreign port.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    C'mon, you don't want us to do ALL the research for you, do you?
    Hey, I don't want anyone to do any research at all - I just thought someone might know, which they seem to do. Still seems like kind of a stupid law, though.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries

I was thinking about it some more, and trying to figure out who this law was really protecting.
    I think it's protecting the workers on the smaller ships, like one we have that cruises up the Mississippi, or along the Columbia, or I'm sure on other large waterways (those just have to be the large waterways I've lived near). Their ship has to be US registered to be able to do their cruises that never leave US Waters, which means the employees are fully protected under all the U.S. labor laws. If the ship wasn't US registered, I think there'd be a harder time enforcing the labor laws (including minimum wage)

Cathy

Hey, I don't want anyone to do any research at all - I just thought someone might know, which they seem to do. Still seems like kind of a stupid law, though.
    You expect a law passed in 1886 to make sense with modern implications like cruise ships?

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    The example is actually LA -> Hawaii -> Ensanada -> San Diego. The violation is because they are transporting passengers from LA to San Diego without the far away foreign port.
    Yes. They'd be fine if they return to LA.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    You expect a law passed in 1886 to make sense with modern implications like cruise ships?
    What I'd really like is for them NOT to apply such an old, outdated law.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries

But it's younger than the Constitution, and I like that that document is still applicable.

Cathy

(Most of) the Constitution is not dated. This maritime law seems to be.

- James Taylor