Out of my 5 trips to WDW, none of them have been booked more than a few months out. The discount codes and promotions have always been released before I've booked. I have no experience booking a hotel prior to the discount codes. So... here is my quandry:
We are planning for a WDW trip in early December 2013 to celebrate out 10th wedding anniversary. I'm hoping to make it a "dream" WDW trip, which is to stay at the Poly for 11 nights (a full day for each year of marriage!). Whether we can afford this or not is yet to be seen. It will be a stretch for sure. I was hoping to save save save this year because we really didn't have a vacation planned for this year and then save throughout next year, but my DH didn't jump on the saving for the trip bandwagon until this week, and due to other circumstances we will have very little from this year to apply over to next year. The "normal" cost of a WDW trip for us already is going up quite a bit since DS will be 4 and it will be the first time we need to pay for food, airfare, and park tickets for him.
If we do a full 10 day trip, with no hotel discounts, we could perhaps swing a moderate, or for $500 more, Art of Animation Suites or the Wilderness Lodge at about a 25% discount.
I'd like to book something on Wednesday when the dates/rates are released to have something on the books. I'm concerned that if I wait for the discounts to come out (probably not likely until late summer/early fall 2013) to decide where we want to book, we will have a hard time with availability because of the length of the trip. So my first thought is to book what we can definitely afford (maybe the AoA suites because I'm pretty sure those are going to be popular), and then hope for discounts that allow us to upgrade to the Poly or WL.
But then what if we could end up affording the Poly and I tried to upgrade but there was no availability?! That would break my heart!
Should I book the Poly so I know I have the room if we can swing it? And then downgrade if we can't? Or book what we can more likely swing and then upgrade if we can?
My heart is set on the Poly. I really want to relax at the resort. We will have a just over 1 year old, and a just over 4 year old. The ease of the monorail is calling to me. Next down the line we would choose WL (which we may if any big construction projects are announced for the Poly during our stay). After that is probably AoA suites or POR.
Please help!!! Thank you!