Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Movie Seen IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IllusionOfLife View Post

But then, in the *very last scene of the movie* he shows that he hasn't learned anything. That he's not going to be responsible and put the safety of others over his own personal wants...... he hasn't learned that critical lesson. Like I said, the character has no arc. He learns nothing in the over-inflated run time of the film.

Just because Marvel execs are putting their name on the project doesn't automatically give it a free pass (otherwise we'd have to hand out free passes to the likes of Hulk, Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four, X-Men: Origins Wolverine, etc.).
    The again, he's 17. Having teenagers apply life lessons is a difficult and risky proposition. I got one sleeping down the hall. Maybe you are expecting a bit too much out of him. Ben, May, and others all saw the potential of what was in his heart, having to wisdom and maturity to apply it out of someone so young is another story and probably another movie.

As for Marvel executives signing off on a Sony's movie. I don't know how it works but I'm not sure they are there to handle another studio's quality control. I think they are there to make sure that legally licensed characters are not hijacked by another studios whims and taken beyond the scope in which the characters were originally created by Marvel.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time.

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

105000 page views and counting

2. # ADS

I was with my cousin and 5 kids this past week and we were running out of ideas when my nephew suggested we go to the movies. The choices were Ted, Spiderman, etc etc...when he finally asked "Is Moonrise Kingdom playing?" and I smiled from ear to ear. So we went to go watch that again hahaha and ALL OF THE KIDS LOVED IT!!! I was so happy. The next day I dropped off nephew at his mommy's and that night he took her on a date (he's 9) and guess what movie he took her to?

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"The Amazing Spider-Man" - I liked the film, but it didn't wow me like the other recent Marvel films have. Maybe I'm just not as interested in this particular character as I am the others. I agree that the Stan Lee cameo was awesome, and I didn't know Martin Sheen and Sally Field were in this film, so I was happy to see them, and they were terrific.

I'd probably go see a sequel, but I'm not wanting MORE like I did after seeing "The Incredible Hulk" and "Iron Man" and "Thor" and "Captain America" and "The Avengers".

Oh, and maybe it's because I don't know the Spider-Man cast of characters very well, but I didn't understand the bonus scene in the middle of the credits.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Oh, and maybe it's because I don't know the Spider-Man cast of characters very well, but I didn't understand the bonus scene in the middle of the credits.
    *Nobody* understood that scene. I don't think even Sony understood that scene. From what I've heard that scene was originally supposed to be some kind of big reveal, but then they made a ton of last minute re-writes and re-shoots that conflicted with their original version of that scene so they basically filmed a place holder "this could be any villain we want it to be" scene.

Detroit Rock City
    Over The Edge (1979) - a teenage Matt Dillion
    The Stone Age
    Suburbia (1984) - best indie movie ever made
    **We need a What are you watching on TV thread?

GO PADRES

The Flintstones and The Flintstones: Viva Rock Vegas I absolutely LOVE these movies. Even with the change of cast they are still fun and imaginative and really are right on for us Flintstones fans.
    Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie pirate View Post
    **We need a What are you watching on TV thread?
    That sounds like a good idea. You should start one. My only concern would be that people are careful about not posting any untagged spoilers of any sort.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by IllusionOfLife View Post
    *Nobody* understood that scene. I don't think even Sony understood that scene. From what I've heard that scene was originally supposed to be some kind of big reveal, but then they made a ton of last minute re-writes and re-shoots that conflicted with their original version of that scene so they basically filmed a place holder "this could be any villain we want it to be" scene.
    Are you talking about the jail scene when he seemed to be talking to himself? Yeah, we didn't get it either.
    Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries

The last week:

Killer Elite - Jason Statham and Clive Owen: Decent enough for the genre.
    The Woman in the Window - Give it credit for being very early noir but can't get over the horribly crippled ending.
    Once Upon a Time in the West - Really, getting to see Henry Fonda commit rape is one of life's unexpected twists.
    London Boulevard - Some good stuff but never really coheres into anything.
    Exporting Raymond - Amusing documentary about making the Russian version of Everybody Loves Raymond.
    Larry Crowne - Nothing wrong with it except the entirety.
    3 Women - I have no idea what happened and reading up on it I see that Robert Altman didn't either.

Blog Entries

After rather enjoying The Amazing Spider-Man, I went back and dug through the DVD collection to re-watch Sam Raimi's 2002 Spider-Man. I haven't seen it for a few years and my recollection of the movie was that it was terrific. Guess what? After watching the first Spider-Man again I thought it was no better and no worse than the current reboot of The Amazing Spider-Man. Both films are entertaining and have their moments but both are also flawed in several areas.

Oddly enough the part of the original Spider-Man I liked the least was James Franco character and his whiny portrayal of poor little rich boy Harry Osborn. Director Sam Raimi teams up with Franco again as the lead character of Oz the Great and Powerful. One strike against it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex S. View Post
    The last week:

Larry Crowne - Nothing wrong with it except the entirety.
    Why would two fine actors like Tom Hanks (who also wrote and directed it) and Julia Robert spend time on a movie as pedestrian as Larry Crowne? It's more of an original movie you would find produced for the Hallmark or Lifetime channels, something to watch laying in bed waiting to fall asleep rather than plunking down money in a theater. Strange choice indeed.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries

I imagine the why kind of came from Nia Vardalos's involvement. My Big Fat Greek Wedding was extremely pedestrian as well and somehow found a huge audience (not entirely undeserving; it had a spark but I doubt they were thinking "this is kind of boring, but let's go ahead and make it anyway").

Awww I liked Larry Crowne. I found it cute, fun and simple. A refreshing movie. And I usually despise Lifetime movies.

We saw Ice Age 4 on Friday. Loved it! Scrat really makes those movies. Tons of daycare kids but they were actually quiet during the movie.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

I saw two movies today, Beasts of the Southern Wild and Moonrise Kingdom. I really enjoyed both. Beasts is a kind of mixture of a young girl's fantasy and reality in a small delta community in southern Louisiana. The young actress playing the lead was amazing! It was interesting look at that area when disaster hits, and how the people react to it. Very visually beautiful.

Moonrise Kingdom was also visually pleasing, with the natural settings and the colorful characters and I loved that house! A quirky story, but enjoyable. I loved the music as well.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries

Savages. It was awful.

Blog Entries

Currently taking a break from "The Woman in Black." Good so far but I think we may have overdosed on dreary/spooky English countrysides this week.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex S. View Post
    I imagine the why kind of came from Nia Vardalos's involvement. My Big Fat Greek Wedding was extremely pedestrian as well and somehow found a huge audience
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding also was produced by Tom Hanks.

-Jeff
    "You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding also was produced by Tom Hanks.

-Jeff
    Yes.... Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson seem to want to somehow reach out the capture the intimate magic that was present in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It missed with Larry Crowne and I would argue that it missed with That Thing We Do though that film did have a marginal degree of critical and box office success. Together, their biggest success was with bringing Mama Mia! to the screen with incredible thanks to the talents of Meryl Streep. If you haven't seen Mama Mia!, rent it now and see something extraordinary!!!!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Ice Age: Continental Drift" - I thought it was just ok. Loved the Simpsons short in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecatgirl View Post
    I saw two movies today, Beasts of the Southern Wild and Moonrise Kingdom. I really enjoyed both. Beasts is a kind of mixture of a young girl's fantasy and reality in a small delta community in southern Louisiana. The young actress playing the lead was amazing! It was interesting look at that area when disaster hits, and how the people react to it. Very visually beautiful.

Moonrise Kingdom was also visually pleasing, with the natural settings and the colorful characters and I loved that house! A quirky story, but enjoyable. I loved the music as well.

Oooh I want to see Beasts of the Southern Wild! I saw the trailer when I went to watch Moonrise Kingdom. Maybe I can take my nephew to see it this weekend!! Thanks for the reminder

Watched The Secret World of Arrietty on DVD last night (our cable TV service has been off since 9:00am Sunday). I enjoyed it quite a bit, as I have most of the Studio Ghibli films and liked just about every one. It was a sweet and simple story, about the friendship between a human boy and a tiny girl who lives under the floorboards of his country home. One thing that struck me, though, was that some of the English voice-overs seemed to be off. For example, Arrietty's father spoke in a low monotone while her mother was screechy and hysterical most of the time. I'm going to watch the Japanese language version tonight to see if the original voices come over the same way.

Finally got to see "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" and enjoyed it very much. So fun to see such good performances from a stellar cast. Mr. Tea couldn't believe Bill Nighy was the same actor who played Davey Jones. 2 thumbs up!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    couldn't believe Bill Nighy was the same actor who played Davey Jones. 2 thumbs up!
    The science guy???!!!!??!

Oh, wait, close, but different last name.... But that's where my mind first went!
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldvb View Post
    Watched The Secret World of Arrietty on DVD .
    I really enjoyed this one as well. I'll be getting the DVD soon as I know my niece will love it. I really loved the visuals, such pretty countryside, and I loved Arietty's room. As for the voices, they perfectly conveyed the characters as described in the book!

I really want to go see Moonrise Kingdom and Beasts of the Southern Wild again! Can't stop thinking about them! And I need the soundtracks as well!

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldvb View Post
    Watched The Secret World of Arrietty on DVD last night... One thing that struck me, though, was that some of the English voice-overs seemed to be off. For example, Arrietty's father spoke in a low monotone while her mother was screechy and hysterical most of the time. I'm going to watch the Japanese language version tonight to see if the original voices come over the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecatgirl View Post
    I really enjoyed this one as well... As for the voices, they perfectly conveyed the characters as described in the book!...
    Interesting opinions. I emailed some video trailers for the American English version of "Arrietty" to a friend in Tokyo, just so she could hear what the English voices sounded like and how the Japanese had been translated to fit the mouth movements (not easy with Japanese animation which does the drawing first and the voices last, completely opposite to American animation, like Pixar). She said she was really surprised by how much she liked the English voices and thought they really conveyed the right character feeling, especially Carol Burnett. She said that the Japanese actress who voiced the housekeeper is a very famous comedienne, so hearing Carol Burnett's voice felt just right.