Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: Disney California Adventure - Entertainment Capital of Anaheim?

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: Disney California Adventure - Entertainment Capital of Anaheim?

Disney California Adventure - Entertainment Capital of Anaheim? by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix

Four new shows at DCA should put DCA back on your entertainment radar

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I hope that a lot of these shows are still playing at Thanksgiving! I can't wait to see them in person!!

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm really happy there is entertainment now in DCA- kind of like Disneyland USED to have. My only caveat is the focus on so much "dance" based items. The Phineas and Ferb show is dance-based thing, the Mad T-Party, the new DJ show in Carsland (which seems really out of place there for some reason), and so on. I guess I feel it's a cheap(er) way to make folks stop and watch and be entertained - involving themselves as much or more than being entertained by the performers. I guess this is the trend - and as I said a lower cost way to provide some things to do besides stand in the RSR line. I will say this -it's obvious that now there may be a competition between parks for guests. I know that Disneyland will always be "the original" but for those that don't necessarily have a history or passion for the original, DCA now has good longer-term planned activities, shows, and attractions. I know when I go with my family this month for my birthday one of us will be tired trying to get FP across two parks (we can only go 1 day). Overall kudos to DCA for growing their offerings and executing on them so quickly.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

It's interesting how the Dance Party is described as the "gem" here, whereas another site categorizes it as the epic fail that nobody gets into and just uses for the seats and A/C. Editorial freedom rocks!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spectromen View Post
    It's interesting how the Dance Party is described as the "gem" here, whereas another site categorizes it as the epic fail that nobody gets into and just uses for the seats and A/C. Editorial freedom rocks!
    i read that other editorial too - and frankly since this is a little out of the way I am not surprised it's not packed. The other site's implication that this should have been heavily attended already goes right up against complaints of not offering a little something for everyone. And - when they started saying it should have been more old-time characters, on BV Street, and interaction. Well, then, it would not be the event it is. Frankly - I don't think they are trying to be edgy with this offering (as the editorial says) but Mad T-Party is somewhat edgy and I have not reading any complaints about it. It may be a case of "what can I complain about" but as you say - editorial freedom prevails here...
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by spectromen View Post
    Same here. When I read that "other" review's comments, I was really disappointed. A little background:

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon at WDW. They have a version of this dance party there, it is held inside their version of the Playhouse Disney building at Disney Hollywood Studios. We stumbled into it late at night by accident (we heard the music from a long way off and and decided to investigate) and discovered Goofy and Pluto hip-hop dancing (and doing it surprisingly well). My wife is a professional dancer, and so when goofy wandered over and started dancing with her, he got the shock of his life as she matched him move for move! It wound up being one of the highlights of our trip, and we literally had a conversation about "they really need to do this at DCA!"

When we got back, we discovered the new dance party in Stage 17. Unfortunately it doesn't have the energy of the WDW version, as that version seemed more willing to cater to small children *and* their parents (possibly because that was a late night event and this one is during the daytime). But we were very happy to see it, and we thought "this is still a great place for parents to take a break while their kids burn off some energy."

I was upset when I read such a negative review of what I thought was a pretty positive use of previously dead space in the park.
    Formerly etumor

"some (including this writer) feel that the thumping bass beat behind some of the arrangements is a bit too modern for 1920s Los Angeles."

I wish people would stop nit-picking so much about that. I've seen the show, and its really not a big deal. I guarantee you, most guest don't care at all, or even notice this minor musical inaccuracy. At the end of the day, its NOT a big deal, and not even worth mentioning.

Sometimes I wonder if it is a legal requirement that all Internet writers be nit-picky. Some of them have it honed to a fine art.