Thread: More Mouse: Cars Land Test Drive: Luigi's Flying Tires

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: Cars Land Test Drive: Luigi's Flying Tires

Cars Land Test Drive: Luigi's Flying Tires by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix

A classic Disneyland attraction is reinvented for Cars Land

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Smile Another tire riding area would definitely help decrease the wait time!!

After not getting to ride the original Flying Saucers back in the 60's (my mother wouldn't allow me to ride them, but I'm definitely old enough to ride them now!), this was our first ride of the night, after our dinner at the Carthay Circle Restaurant, during our Cars Land Preview and dinner event Sunday night.

The wait time posted was 60 mins, but according to my hubby, it took us about 40 mins, so it was shorter, but it felt like an eternity to me! The alternate boarding for those who need extra time is very helpful and I appreciated being able to use it. It's an extra spur or whatever they call them, like on GRR or Space Mountain. It took longer for us to get into the action and out after it was over, but that was fine and to be expected.

I think the best idea to improve the ride would be to add at least one other tire riding area, like they have for the Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (they have 3 areas). More people could ride more tires and the wait time could be cut down considerably. We don't go to the parks during the Summer, but I have a feeling that if they don't do something to cut down on the wait time, it's going to be really bad when the crowds hit. Lots of angry guests who don't want to wait that long in the hot sun, make for hot tempers and bad scenes.

It would also be easier if they had fewer beach balls that were smaller and easier for people to grab, if that's supposed to be the thing to do, or if they want to use the same size, put handles on them, so they can be grabbed easier! When I ride them again, I would just ignore the beach balls altogether and just "enjoy the ride".

Putting the 3 rides (or attractions) in order of how much I enjoyed them, I rank them this way:

1. Radiator Springs Racers (tho I wish it was a longer ride)
    2. Luigi's Flying Tires (so long as the wait isn't too long)
    3. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (I don't need to ride this one ever again!)

Karen W2

The Flying Saucers closed the year before my very first trip to DL in 1967 so I'm excited to ride Luigi's Flying Tires. I always got a kick out of seeing the Saucers during the World of Color theme song. However, I agree with AVP; I don't get the beach ball thing. I'd rather just enjoy riding on air!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is there a total weight limit on each vehicle? I know you mentioned that smaller people riding solo may not have enough mass to manuver around -- but is there a posted 'too much mass for the air jets to 'float' you' amount?

And I agree, that step down, especially with the hand rail being behind you, may be a lot tougher to navigate than the step up. (Especially in a shorter skirt!)

Cathy

I thought the best part of the cue was the music! Luigi obviously has great taste in music, or at least a copy of the sound track to "Big Night" from 1996. Incidentally, that movie also stars Tony Shalhoub. While we were in line, people were singing along with "That's Amore!" and the well-know tenor arias like "O Sole Mio." This ride easily has the best music of any cue anywhere at DCA.

Did you notice that the wheel in Luigi's office is a Chip Foose wheel? "Foose" is written in the center cap. Also the "foot pedals" the cars use to operate machinery in the movie, like the car lift at the start of the line, are also there. Great attention to detail. Thanks for doing it right this time California Adventure!

I got my tire going at a pretty good clip, but I admit I didn't trouble myself with the beach balls. Does anyone know what happened to the handles on the tires? In the videos I watched before going on the ride people were using a cylindrical metal handle, but when I rode at the Annual Passholder Preview on June 10th the handles were gone and a plastic cap was in their place. Quite the mystery.

The line was long, but it was fun!

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassfo View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to the handles on the tires? In the videos I watched before going on the ride people were using a cylindrical metal handle, but when I rode at the Annual Passholder Preview on June 10th the handles were gone and a plastic cap was in their place. Quite the mystery.
    They were a spin control that was removed during testing. I was disappointed to learn that; I'd wanted to try flying and spinning.

Adrienne
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfo View Post
    I thought the best part of the cue was the music! Luigi obviously has great taste in music, or at least a copy of the sound track to "Big Night" from 1996. Incidentally, that movie also stars Tony Shalhoub. While we were in line, people were singing along with "That's Amore!" and the well-know tenor arias like "O Sole Mio." This ride easily has the best music of any cue anywhere at DCA.

Did you notice that the wheel in Luigi's office is a Chip Foose wheel? "Foose" is written in the center cap. Also the "foot pedals" the cars use to operate machinery in the movie, like the car lift at the start of the line, are also there. Great attention to detail. Thanks for doing it right this time California Adventure!
    I wholeheartedly agree about the music in the queue! I thought it was fabulous. I was singing along (or attempting to anyway ) and it helped me entertain my 2 year old daughter.

I can't wait to ride it again to look for the Chip Foose wheel. I didn't get to look into Luigi's office too much because my DD was not very patient with the line since we had been up so early to get to our preview time. Once we got into the back where the ride is, she was much better because she could actually see the ride and the balls. My DH is a big fan of Chip Foose and I think that he did a really great job with the Cars movies, so we bought one of his limited edition paintings (not an original! ) as a souvenir for visiting Cars Land. I did notice the foot pedals, too. There was another one more towards the beginning of the queue, by the garage door. The attention to detail was great, not only in Luigi's Flying Tires, but I thought in all of Cars Land as well.

I really enjoyed the ride. It was at a much slower pace than I thought it would be. When we rode, the CM weren't handing out the balls, but rather the riders were picking one up on their way to their tires. They flew around at the beginning, but then it seemed that people were more focused on moving their tires. I think that this ride will be different based on the group of people you are riding with.

Thank you, AVP for your review and for posting the video of the Flying Saucers ride. That is before my time and I hadn't heard of it before. I'll have to ask my mom if she rode it before!

Blog Entries

It was a great queue but I can't imagine standing it in for an hour for the ride itself unless maybe I had guests with me. I guess we didn't come close to finding the magic balance point. Maybe if I'm there sometime when there is no queue (?) we'll take another couple of runs at it to improve our technique.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenW2 View Post
    ....I have a feeling that if they don't do something to cut down on the wait time, it's going to be really bad when the crowds hit. Lots of angry guests who don't want to wait that long in the hot sun, make for hot tempers and bad scenes.
    This is a prime case of supply equalling demand. If someone is willing to wait in a 2 or 3 hour line for a simple 2 minute ride, then it's their own fault if they're not happy with the result. I'm looking forward to riding, but I'll be doing it early in the day, and in no way will I be standing in any 3 hour line!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by KarenW2 View Post
    I think the best idea to improve the ride would be to add at least one other tire riding area, like they have for the Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (they have 3 areas). More people could ride more tires and the wait time could be cut down considerably. We don't go to the parks during the Summer, but I have a feeling that if they don't do something to cut down on the wait time, it's going to be really bad when the crowds hit. Lots of angry guests who don't want to wait that long in the hot sun, make for hot tempers and bad scenes.

It would also be easier if they had fewer beach balls that were smaller and easier for people to grab, if that's supposed to be the thing to do, or if they want to use the same size, put handles on them, so they can be grabbed easier! When I ride them again, I would just ignore the beach balls altogether and just "enjoy the ride".
    FYI Mater's has 2 ride areas...

I don't see how they could possibly add another Luigi's area. The air system breaks down enough, trying to run two at the same time would just equal twice as much broken.... And there just isnt enough space with all the shops.

They need something like the arm that they had back with the saucers (before my time) to help with loading / unloading. I also think they should come up with a portable unload mechanism for the HCA guests. Something like the stairs they have for airplanes but a ramp. So getting off is faster and they don't have to half spin up the ride to load/unload the HCA vehicle. Also keeping one always in the HCA loading area would speed the ride up tremendously.

I love the ride and have been on it numerous times. The load time is slow because of the beach balls ( a waste I think, enjoy the float not throw balls at people!! ) and when a HCA tire is loaded it adds another 2-4 minutes to the cycle. Adding handles to the balls would just create a disaster as then people could throw the balls at others so much harder then they already do. Ive been hit in the back of the head a few times already and it hurts!