Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [Teen dressed as] Tinker Bell denied entry

She threw a tantrum. She should have been ignored. That's how we deal with toddler tantrums and if the cap fits....

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    She threw a tantrum. She should have been ignored. That's how we deal with toddler tantrums and if the cap fits....
    The problem is that this is Disney. The negative PR they would get for "making" a girl cry and "destroying her dream" is far too great. Don't get me wrong, I think this girl is just a drama queen and needs to get over it, but I also see why Disney would be scared. People attack companies for almost everything these days. Can you imagine the heat they would get for denying a girl entry to the parks, ruining her lifelong dream and making her cry? That's all you'd hear. People would forget the rules. They'd forget how ridiculous it sounds. All they'd remember is the crying girl saying her dream was ruined because they wouldn't let her into the park. Disney HAD to do something.

Now, if this had happened back when the park first opened, it'd be a different story. But in today's world, it's a sad reality.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman559 View Post
    The problem is that this is Disney. The negative PR they would get for "making" a girl cry and "destroying her dream" is far too great. Don't get me wrong, I think this girl is just a drama queen and needs to get over it, but I also see why Disney would be scared. People attack companies for almost everything these days. Can you imagine the heat they would get for denying a girl entry to the parks, ruining her lifelong dream and making her cry? That's all you'd hear. People would forget the rules. They'd forget how ridiculous it sounds. All they'd remember is the crying girl saying her dream was ruined because they wouldn't let her into the park. Disney HAD to do something.
    But Disney is getting the 'bad PR'. They did deny her entry unless she changed. To get around the 'I don't have anything to change into', they offered them clothing. But I don't see where Disney did anything else. Maybe I missed it.

It's really the media and us who are not ignoring the tantrum.
    Cathy

Now, if this had happened back when the park first opened, it'd be a different story. But in today's world, it's a sad reality.
    Didn't you just see how much ticket prices went up? I don't think they're that scared of a bit of negative publicity!

But even those that don't drink the Kool Aid are on Disneys side. Most adults get why this is a rule. As far as this girl, she sought out the media. She tried to do something that was against the rules (whether she was aware of the rule or not), told "no", compensated for her trouble, and STILL cried "poor me" to the first Newsman that'd return her call. What audacity this 15 year old has!! Or worse yet her parents have, because I doubt they were unaware of this media stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    But even those that don't drink the Kool Aid are on Disneys side.
    LOL, that just made me smile a whole lot!

On to the issue at hand, I agree that even if she didn't know the rule, Disney was more than accomodating with her. The media circus after-the-fact is beyond ridiculous, and obviously sanctioned by the parents of the teens involved.

And as a parent in the parks I am GLAD Disney stopped them... and it's a shame they got into the first park that morning. Back in '05 I remember seeing "Wendy" at Disneyland for the first time. My husband was convinced it was just a guest in costume (she was quite short after all). However, my eagle-eye spotted the elaborate 50th Anniversary pin that all the characters wore... so I knew she was authentic. But yeah, Disney has a responsibility to their younger guests that the characters are carefully screened and safe, and committed to making the child's experience as magical as possible. A 15-yr-old with a Tinkerbelle-complex does not qualify (says a 36 yr old with a Tinkerbelle-complex).
    Faith Trust and Pixie Dust!
    Disneyland '85, '90, '00 and DLR '05, '10, '13, '14 and 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker44 View Post
    The media circus after-the-fact is beyond ridiculous, and obviously sanctioned by the parents of the teens involved.
    Just curious here. Although there have been multiple threads on most Disney fan sites, I only saw one Yahoo News story - hardly a mainstream source. Has there been more news coverage?
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Just curious here. Although there have been multiple threads on most Disney fan sites, I only saw one Yahoo News story - hardly a mainstream source. Has there been more news coverage?
    I don't know what kind of local coverage it got. But the fact that the media was contacted at all is ridiculous.

I completely agree. I'd be curious to know how this story got out in the first place - if Yahoo just happened to be there at the right time, or if the girl or her family contacted the media.

- James Taylor

I completely agree. I'd be curious to know how this story got out in the first place - if Yahoo just happened to be there at the right time, or if the girl or her family contacted the media.
    Yahoo got it from a local media station (WKMG Orlando, channel 6 on the microphone).
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

It's definitely gone wide... I read the story originally on the website for the Toronto Daily Star which provided links to the WKMG video footage. A friend of mine also saw it on another Canadian news-site.

Faith Trust and Pixie Dust!
    Disneyland '85, '90, '00 and DLR '05, '10, '13, '14 and 2017

Yeah, since I posted above I've seen a couple other links as well. Must've been a slow news day . . .

- James Taylor

I was going to say Whistler didn't see it here and he doesn't read Yahoo, usually MSN for him.

Let's face it...this is an news because it was Walt Disney World, because she was a kid, and because she was crying. I hope most people, once they heard the whole story, rolled their eyes and went on their way. Because of the tags, the news station new that they could get a little extra exposure, and the girl hoped that Disney would want to make up for it with more presents. I really hope they don't!

Visiting WDW Since 1982

y'know, it would be one thing if she had been a six-year-old!

Stan

Heck, us online freaks ......

Now I'm REALLY offended, Dan ..... online freaks. Hmph. Indeed.
    Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

Santa / Actor for hire
    MousePad Subscriber

I feel sorry for this young lady, she got a thought in her head for something fun to do with her boyfriend. Sometimes when you get a thought in your head you can’t let it go.
    In the video we see physically mature young women but mentally is she.

I know of some gentlemen with white beards that have a hard time when they go to the Parks as they are use to being the center of attention myself included.
    Most of the year I have a great time in the parks wearing my Santa Casual, but I know what the rules are and I wait to be approached and interact accordingly.
    During the Christmas Holiday Season you will never find me in the Parks in Santa Casual, in fact I go out of my way to not look anything like Santa but I am still approached.

Setting up camp at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds now sometime in the future
    My Acting website
    My Santa website "It's not the look, it's what is in ones heart, that makes one a Santa"
    My Promotional Marketing website that's were my user name comes

it made it to az news

Blog Entries

What if someone didn't dress up as a Disney character?

I saw a group of teenage girls at the TTC a couple years back and they were dressed in Renaissance attire. Not Cinderella full of a dress, but it did have something underneath it to make it a little bigger. I always wondered if they made it into the park, but how do you know if someone doesn't dress like that normally?

My sister went to high school with a girl who made her own clothing and dressed as if she was in the Civil War/Colonial era (sometimes even wearing a Civil War uniform). If that girl went to Disney would she be denied entry?

I am not saying she should or shouldn't, but I am just curious.

Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post
    If that girl went to Disney would she be denied entry?
    I believe the actual rule only prevents costumes that are too similar to Disney's official costumed characters or staff. So if their clothing matched that of a Disney character or CM, then yes. But, since I don't think they have any costumes that look like Union or Confederate uniforms, I don't think she would be.

I believe the actual rule only prevents costumes that are too similar to Disney's official costumed characters or staff. So if their clothing matched that of a Disney character or CM, then yes. But, since I don't think they have any costumes that look like Union or Confederate uniforms, I don't think she would be.
    I thought there was a rule against wedding dresses too (I remember some lady being denied entry to Disneyland a couple of years ago for wearing a wedding dress). No rogue weddings allowed.

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They do not like adults wearing masks even at the MNSSHP's. Not that anyone was, but I'm sure there's a list of rules they have. I'm sure that if it's part of someone's culture or beliefs, it's allowed. Certain women do cover their faces because of their culture, they can't ask them to uncover their faces. If Disney did that, THEN I would see the point of that woman going to the news and making a complaint.

Stephanie

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know one padder's teen daughter and friends were asked to remove their Harry Potter robes when they were at Disneyland a little while back (I think within the last year or so).

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by tappenfeat View Post
    Certain women do cover their faces because of their culture, they can't ask them to uncover their faces. If Disney did that, THEN I would see the point of that woman going to the news and making a complaint.
    Personally, I don't. For two reasons. First, it's a safety/security thing. Say someone walks in and says it's against their religion to show their face. Disney lets them in. Now, let's say they get into a fight and beat someone up. They run away into a bathroom and remove their "religious" coverings from their face and a robe they were wearing. Now they look completely different. How is security going to know who to look for? Their description was someone wearing a robe and a face covering. It's essentially the same thing that some stores/malls enforce by saying you can't wear anything that covers your face.

Second, why should they be allowed to wear something just because it's against their religion not to? That's discrimination. If they are going to let one person wear something (for a non-documented, non-medical reason), they need to let everyone. How can they prove that it truly is against someone's religion? Heck, I could say I'm Christian to one person, Jewish to another, and Muslim to a third. How is any of them going to prove I'm not? There's no way they can.