Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ways to save on Disneyland tickets and APs even AFTER the 5/20 price increase

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Ways to save on Disneyland tickets and APs even AFTER the 5/20 price increase

If this weekend's price hike on Disneyland Resort admission tickets caught you by surprise (as in, it's now Monday morning and you're just hearing what happened over the weekend), don't panic - there are still ways you can save on Disneyland tickets for your next trip.

I'm only listing legitimate discounts and options below - we don't condone ticket "sharing" here, so if that's the type of advice you're seeking you'll have to look elsewhere. I'll update this thread with other offers as we hear about them - if you know of one, let me know!

Tickets:

1: [NEW 6/12] Book a vacation package through Get Away Today Vacations

MousePlanet sponsor Get Away Today Vacations has a very limited quantity of 3-Day Park Hopper Bonus Tickets at the pre-increase price of $224 for adults, $208 for children 3-9, a savings of up to $27 per ticket.

Here are the details from their website:

Ticket Rules:

• Tickets must be purchased with a Get Away Today hotel package. Combine your discount Disney tickets with our reduced hotel rates and/or free night hotel specials to save the most! All of our vacation packages are bundled with these discount tickets, so you don't have to do anything extra to get these tickets.

• The included discount Disney tickets are PHYSICAL tickets, which allow you to avoid ticketing booth wait times. Just take your tickets and go straight through the turnstile!

• These tickets must be treated like cash and are not replaceable if lost or stolen.

• These tickets are valid through December 31, 2012 and are NON-refundable.

• These tickets are currently not available for travel within five days.

• Adult tickets are $224 and child (ages 3-9) tickets are $208. This is a savings of $26 for an adult and $27 for a child!
    2: Check your local grocery store or Disney store

IF your local grocery store or Disney store usually sells Disneyland tickets, check with them to see if they have any at the old prices. It seems that they don't all get the memo the pull the old ticket stock the second Disneyland changes their prices, so you may have a one- or two-day window to hunt down a deal.

3: Check with your local travel agent or AAA office, credit union, employee benefits office, school, etc.

In the past, travel agencies and ticket resellers could quietly continue to sell their remaining tickets at the old prices after a price change, while inventory lasted. If you work with a travel agent or AAA office that usually stocks Disneyland tickets, check with them. If you have a credit union, benefits office or student union, check with them to see if they have any offers for you.

4: Check with a Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel

MousePad Community Leader Malcon10t says "Several hotels in the area (I know the Candy Cane has them) has tickets at the old price until they are gone."

5: Consider the 2012 City Pass

2012 Southern California CityPass ($279/$239) – This pass includes a 3–Day Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Bonus Ticket (including one early–entry day), a one–day admission to Sea World San Diego and a one-day admission to Universal Studios Hollywood. The CityPass expires 14 days after first use at any location, and the first use must occur by December 31, 2012. Purchase CityPass through the Disneyland Website or on–site at the ticket booths of Disneyland Resort or the other theme parks included in the pass. You can also purchase directly from the CityPass Website, though a shipping charge may apply depending on how quickly you need the ticket.

2012 Southern California CityPass PLUS ($311/$263) – This pass includes a 3–Day Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Bonus Ticket (including one early–entry day), a one–day admission to Sea World San Diego and a one-day admission to Universal Studios Hollywood, PLUS one–day admission to either San Diego Zoo or San Diego Wild Animal Park. The CityPass expires 14 days after first use at any location, and the first use must occur by December 31, 2012. This upgraded pass is only available for purchase directly from the CityPass Website.

[Now expired] If you're visiting before May 28, buy the Promotional Park Hopper Bonus Ticket online

The Promotional Park Hopper Bonus Ticket is available in 3, 4, 5 and 6-day versions, and represents a savings of as much as $59 per ticket. Note: the Southern California resident offer listed below is a better deal for SoCal residents.

This discount is not available at the theme park ticket booths, you must purchase online before you arrive. Tickets are valid through May 28, 2012. Disney is offering eTicket and Will Call service for this promotion, so you can purchase the tickets online the same day you plan to use them. Tickets must be purchased by, and first day of use must occur on or before, May 28, 2012. Tickets expire 13 days after the first day of use or on June 10, 2012, whichever occurs first.
    [Now expired] If you live in Southern California and you're visiting before June 9, buy the SoCal Resident Ticket

The cost of this ticket did NOT go up with the other Disneyland tickets, and currently represents a savings of as much as $106 per ticket.

The SoCal Resident ticket offers residents of Southern California and Northern Baja California two or three days of admission to either Disneyland or Disney California Adventure on or before June 8, 2012. You can also upgrade the ticket to a park–hopper, which allows entry to both parks each day, for an additional $15.

You can either purchase tickets at the Disneyland Resort ticket booths, or online at Disneyland.com and print them at home. You can also purchase them at participating Disney Stores and authorized third party ticket outlets, including many local grocery stores. There is no "fuse" on this ticket, which means you can use the first admission today and wait until June to use the second admission. You must, however, purchase the ticket by June 1, 2012. Tickets expires June 8, 2012, and are blocked out March 30–April 15, and June 4 and 5, 2012.

While Disney states that proof of residency required for purchase and admission, MousePlanet readers who have purchased similar tickets from off–property retailers during past resident discount promotions consistently reported that they were not required to provide proof of residency at the time of purchase. However, be aware that Disneyland Resort Main Gate cast members can–and may–require proof of residency when you first use the tickets. Whether the residency checks occur is an oft–debated topic on our MousePad discussion boards, but it is your responsibility to know the official policy, regardless of what the park's actual practice may be.

[Now expired] Buy tickets online from Get Away Today Vacations

As frequently happens, online sellers are often a day or two behind Disneyland in raising their rates. MousePlanet sponsor Get Away Today Vacations tells us that they will have tickets available for purchase at the old prices until June 10, 2012, after which they will be forced to raise prices. They offer 2- through 6-day park hopper tickets, which may be one of the only ways to even buy a 6-day park hopper now that Disneyland has discontinued that product. While tickets must be purchased by June 7, they are valid through Dec. 31, 2012, and the company is offering payment plans starting at $125 down

Note that the site charges a handling fee on vacation packages (hotel and ticket combos), but ticket-only purchases have no added fees.

[Now expired] Buy tickets online from the Anaheim Visitors and Convention Bureau

As of Sunday morning the Anaheim Visitors and Convention Bureau had not yet changed their prices. They may do so at any point, so order as soon as possible or you may lose the window. They offer 2- through 6-day park hopper tickets, which may be one of the only ways to even buy a 6-day park hopper now that Disneyland has discontinued that product. These tickets are valid until December 31, 2012

Note that the site charges a convenience fee which will reduce your savings a bit.

Annual Passports:

1: If your pass expires in May or June, you can still renew it at the lower price!

Passholders with May or June expiration dates can renew at the lower price provided you renew no later than 60 days after your pass expires. If you've already received your renewal paperwork by mail, you can just send that in or renew online. If you haven't yet received your paperwork but you're within 40 days or expiration, you should still be able to renew online - just check the passholder website. Unfortunately, unless you can convince Disney to make an exception for you, people with passes that expire after July 1 can not renew at the lower prices.

2: Check your local grocery store or Disney store

IF your local grocery store or Disney store usually sells Disneyland annual passes, check with them to see if they have any at the old prices. It seems that they don't all get the memo the pull the old ticket stock the second Disneyland changes their prices, so you may have a one- or two-day window to hunt down a deal.

3: Check with your local travel agent or AAA office, credit union, employee benefits office, school, etc.

In the past, travel agencies and ticket resellers could quietly continue to sell their remaining tickets at the old prices after a price change, while inventory lasted. If you work with a travel agent or AAA office that usually stocks Disneyland tickets, check with them. If you have a credit union, benefits office or student union, check with them to see if they have any offers for you.

Last edited by AVP; 06-19-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Love my Happy Place!! mrsdisney68's Avatar

I am thankful for being able to purchase our tickets through the military bases. I am just waiting to see what the increase is there. We usually get a 20% discount on gate prices so for our up coming Christmas trip it will increase our cost maybe $100. The bummer is we were going to upgrade to ap's. This year but that is on wait and see status.

Summer trip here I come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    If you have a credit union, benefits office or student union, check with them to see if they have any offers for you.

As of Saturday, my husband's work intranet had already increased their prices. Last year it was several weeks after the price increase took effect. I would expect that any corporate or educational partner who sells tickets through a special link to Disney has similarly been increased.

My husband had Friday off and I was not on Mouseplanet during work hours, so I don't know how long after they announced the increase they flipped the prices. I hope they waited until the end of business Friday - because when we all do this again next year I really want to get the new corporate savings!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    As of Saturday, my husband's work intranet had already increased their prices. Last year it was several weeks after the price increase took effect. I would expect that any corporate or educational partner who sells tickets through a special link to Disney has similarly been increased.
    Our credit union also is set up on a special website. It was nice because it was usually a $20 (+/-) discount. Because of this, I think it takes effect immediately.

Several hotels in the area (I know the Candy Cane has them) has tickets at the old price until they are gone.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    It seems as more and more companies switch to the Disney-hosted ticket store the price change is controlled by Disney, and several readers have posted or e-mailed to say their company prices went up Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsdisney68 View Post
    I am thankful for being able to purchase our tickets through the military bases. I am just waiting to see what the increase is there. We usually get a 20% discount on gate prices so for our up coming Christmas trip it will increase our cost maybe $100. The bummer is we were going to upgrade to ap's. This year but that is on wait and see status.
    I'm always asked about military pricing - when you know what the increase looks like, will you let me know?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Several hotels in the area (I know the Candy Cane has them) has tickets at the old price until they are gone.
    Great, I'll add that!

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Even after sites like getawaytoday change their online pricing, call and price them out over the phone. I remember last year someone called and they still had tickets with the old pricing but were only offering them to those that called. This was a few months after the price increase.

Here is a link to the current rates as of this weekend for the military http://mwrtoday.com/sandiego/wp-cont...09/itt0112.pdf, this is for the MWR office in San Diego.
    The 3-day Military Park Hopper is a great deal at $97.25, but it expires 9/28/12.
    Hope this helps!

Do grocery stores sell annual passes? And if they do, are they active WHEN YOU BUY THEM or when you first use them?
    Thanks

Closer to the Mouse once again, but not close enough!

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mowsluver View Post
    Do grocery stores sell annual passes? And if they do, are they active WHEN YOU BUY THEM or when you first use them?
    Thanks
    Most grocery stores in Southern California sell annual passes. They are not active until you activate them at Disneyland on your first use, and most have a "redeem by" date of 12-31-12. If you're in the Fullerton area I can tell you where to go to get a pass right now; otherwise, call your local Ralphs / Vons / Stater Bros and see what they have.

AVP

In regards to getawaytoday, does anyone know if the first use has to be on or before 12-31-12 or if you must use ALL days by 12-31-12? Our first day will be 12-30-12 but we will be at the parks until 1-5-13. We were hoping to purchase the six day hopper. I can call in the morning but I thought someone here might have the answer. Thank you

Can you use the Grocery Store Passes to renew an existing AP up through Dec 31?....My Pass expires early Jan 2013......

Can you upgrade a City Pass to more Disney days at the park?

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyOldBear View Post
    In regards to getawaytoday, does anyone know if the first use has to be on or before 12-31-12 or if you must use ALL days by 12-31-12? Our first day will be 12-30-12 but we will be at the parks until 1-5-13. We were hoping to purchase the six day hopper. I can call in the morning but I thought someone here might have the answer. Thank you
    Definitely call them.

Quote Originally Posted by MouseyEars View Post
    Can you use the Grocery Store Passes to renew an existing AP up through Dec 31?....My Pass expires early Jan 2013......
    Not renew, because you'll have to renew at the new price - they'll only give you value paid towards your new, higher renewal fee. You can activate a new pass before 12/31, but that will technically leave you with two valid APs at once, which Disney doesn't allow. You really need to talk to someone at Disneyland, explain your exact situation and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by letshavefun View Post
    Can you upgrade a City Pass to more Disney days at the park?
    Yes. I believe you actually get the current value of a 3-day park hopper ticket towards an upgrade. And, once again, call Disney to confirm this.

(Yeah, I know, I feel like I'm passing the buck, but there's only so much advice I feel comfortable giving - some things need an "official" response by Disney)

Adrienne

The GAT passes are the same as Disneys. They have a first use of 12/31/12. Actually they send you a voucher to exchange at the DL ticket booth.

I am so excited! I was a day late and doller short on the price increase but was able to get AP's at the grocery store for $499 and have until 12/31 to activate. They had LOTS of tickets/passes available.
    I was pretty upset because my daughter is in Afghanistan and won't be home until sometime in the fall, and I was worried that she would not be able to afford the price increase for herself and her little ones. So now she can use them when she gets home!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Thank you to MousePlanet for putting the price increase info out there on Friday. On Saturday, I went to the Disney Store and bought a Deluxe AP voucher for DD, whose AP expires at the end of August.

Team Happy Place - Winners Spring 2009 MouseAdventure: Trains, Trams & Monorails
    Would rather be looking at the back side of water...
    Everything in life is only for now.
    Nope - it never ends.

Thanks for the great info! We've used GAT in the past and have loved them. I was just able to order 6 6-day passes at the old price. Our trip isn't until October, so I paid the extra $10 fee for the "Peace of Mind" plan, just in case we have to cancel and get a refund on the tickets. It's a great way to go! Thanks again!

If you live in CA check the grocery stores!!! They are being sold at the old price and you have until Dec 31 to activate them. I got 3 AP's yesterday and they still had plenty of AP's/tickets left.
    Last edited by stan4d_steph; 05-22-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Please limit max font size to 3

If you are planning on visiting Disneyland and buying tickets along with your hotel reservation (aka 'a package'), those ticket prices have not yet increased. My understanding from the Disneyland travel agent representatives is that the price increase for tickets associated with packages will happen June 9. I checked pricing on packages today compared with ones I booked on Saturday, and prices are consistent, so it seems solid.

Last edited by mkraemer; 05-21-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Ok - so let me see if I get this right. I currently have a Premium AP which expires Nov. 15. If I go to a grocery store and find a Premium AP for $499, I can let my AP expire on Nov. 15 and then I have until Dec. 31 to activate the AP which I purchased from the grocery store. Right? And I guess I will have new AP number because my old AP will have expired.

Quote Originally Posted by wendygirl View Post
    Ok - so let me see if I get this right. I currently have a Premium AP which expires Nov. 15. If I go to a grocery store and find a Premium AP for $499, I can let my AP expire on Nov. 15 and then I have until Dec. 31 to activate the AP which I purchased from the grocery store. Right? And I guess I will have new AP number because my old AP will have expired.
    All correct.

Thank you! Heading out now for the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by wendygirl View Post
    Thank you! Heading out now for the hunt.
    I would just mention to double check the experation date on the back of the card, but I am just that way. My luck I would pick one up that expired before then. happy hunting.

Found them! And yes I checked the expiration date cause I'm just that way too I went to my local Vons and they had all except the Premium. Then I went to Ralphs and they had tons of every one. So I am once again a happy camper and I'll at least have another year to play.

Congrats. I am in Nor cal so our stores only tend to carry 3 day hoppers. Even the Disney Store I couldn't get them at last December when I was looking.