Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Extra Day Suggestions

Extra Day Suggestions

We will be at DL for 7 days in late December/early January. We currently have a six day hopper and are hoping to upgrade to a seven day hopper but it sounds iffy at best that we will be able to do that with the new changes. If we can't, we have one day with nothing on the agenda. Any suggestions of something fun to do in Dec/Jan? Traveling will be my husband, myself and our two-year old. We will have a car so driving somewhere is an option.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by SillyOldBear View Post
    We will be at DL for 7 days in late December/early January. We currently have a six day hopper and are hoping to upgrade to a seven day hopper but it sounds iffy at best that we will be able to do that with the new changes. If we can't, we have one day with nothing on the agenda. Any suggestions of something fun to do in Dec/Jan? Traveling will be my husband, myself and our two-year old. We will have a car so driving somewhere is an option.
    If the weather happens to be nice, you could go down to the beach!
    Siggy aka Jill

Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    If the weather happens to be nice, you could go down to the beach!
    We had thought about the beach, but is the beach realistic for late Dec/early Jan?

We had thought about the beach, but is the beach realistic for late Dec/early Jan?
    I will let other So Cal folks chime in. But growing up in Venice, I remember some really warm days (mid to upper 80's)
    Siggy aka Jill

Its possible but probably not likely with the weather. If you like Christmas lights about 45 minutes from DL is the Mission Inn in Riverside which is decorated with lights and such for Christmas. They also have horse carriage rides, live entertainment, a skating rink. Its a lot of fun with over 1 million lights.

What do you like to do? Give us some ideas and we'll give you more specific suggestions!

The Mission Inn is nice (and historic, too) -- and there is a Disney tie in (part of the inspiration for the lobby in Tower of Terror), but there isn't much else to do in that area and, IMO, there aren't many nice places to eat. Just my opinion, but it's a long drive for just one destination. But, you can look up the Mission Inn's website to see if it looks like something you'd like to do.

The beach can work out, depending on why you want to go. If you want swimming and sunbathing, then it will be hit or miss. But if you just want to walk around, do some shopping, eat at some fun places -- that can work just fine. Huntington Beach and Newport Beach aren't far away. La Jolla is nice, if you want to go further from Anaheim. And Venice Beach is definitely memorable. (Siggy can fill you in if you want more details on Venice.) If you want the beach and another theme park, you can look at Legoland in Carlsbad (closer than La Jolla, but still a longer drive than the other beaches). Legoland will be just right for your toddler. And Carlsbad has an outdoor outlet mall and an old town section with restaurants.

If you like shopping, Fashion Island is a really pretty, outdoor mall in Newport Beach. They always have a really big Christmas tree. Combined with Newport Beach itself, that could be a fun day.

And, don't forget the Walt Disney Archives exhibit at the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley. It is not close to Anaheim, but if you time your drive to avoid rush hour, the drive isn't too bad. Not sure how appropriate this would be for your toddler, but the Reagan Library has lovely grounds, 2 eateries, Air Force One, and other exhibits. If you like Disney history and artifacts, this is a great exhibit.

And, if you don't mind more crowds, you can visit Pasadena to see the Rose Parade floats. They will be on display for a day or two after the parade in a park (forget which one, but it must be on the Tournament of Roses website). There is lots to do in Old Town Pasadena, too. And there is the Huntington Library, if you like gardens.

Hope this info helps!

With a 2 year old, I second the Legoland idea. It is sooo good for toddlers!!!

DL ~ June 1981 ~ March 2000 ~ Oct/Nov 2001 ~ March 2006 ~ Oct/Nov 2007 ~ March 2009 ~ Sept 2010 ~ March 2011 ~ Sept 2011 ~ Sept 2012 ~ Sept 2013 ~ Sept 2015 ~ Aug/Sept 2016
    WDW ~ March 2005 ~ Sept 2009 ~ Aug//Sept 2014
    DVC MEMBER since March 2011
    Next trip: WDW August 20-Sept 4

GREAT suggestions. Thank you. We are pretty easy going so all of these ideas sound fun. Legoland is something I hadn't thought of. Hmmmm.... Maybe a great backup plan if the weather isn't beach weather.

What about taking the day in the middle of your trip off. Using that day to relax, rev up a bit, and maybe explore DTD. It's just a thought, as you can get worn out during a long trip.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We currently have a six day hopper and are hoping to upgrade to a seven day hopper but it sounds iffy at best that we will be able to do that with the new changes.
    Lots of people have reported being able to upgrade from 6 to 7 or 8 at minimal extra cost, if they do it in person, at the ticket booths. You may have to ask for a lead, and they may issue you passes with your names on them, but those are minimal challenges to overcome.
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Lots of people have reported being able to upgrade from 6 to 7 or 8 at minimal extra cost, if they do it in person, at the ticket booths. You may have to ask for a lead, and they may issue you passes with your names on them, but those are minimal challenges to overcome.
    This is our number one plan. I keep reading that people are having more and more difficulty with this and by December I'm wondering if they will allow anyone to do it anymore? Hopefully, but I am making a backup plan just in case.

I checked out Legoland's website and our 2 year old is a little on the short side so the number of rides she can ride is minimal (she is only 33 inches). That could be an option still but maybe we should wait a year.

A "rest" day is an option as well. Maybe a character breakfast in the morning. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade to 7 days.

Thanks again for these great ideas.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is our number one plan. ....
    A "rest" day is an option as well. Maybe a character breakfast in the morning. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade to 7 days.
    Good - just wanted to make sure you'd at least try that option!

For the rest day, a 2 year old probably isn't much for sleeping in -- but what about getting up at 'normal' time, going to the pool (if it's warm enough) or something like that, and doing a super late breakfast (or lunch - I can't recall if Goofy's officially does lunch or not) so it's more in the 'middle' of the day. Then it'll be about nap time - then more swimming - and dinner, and voila, a whole day rested away!
    Cathy

I love Drince88's suggestion of just "hanging out". I really like Legoland, but it is going to be a bit of a drive and your little one might enjoy being able to move around a little bit more.

I checked out Legoland's website and our 2 year old is a little on the short side so the number of rides she can ride is minimal (she is only 33 inches). That could be an option still but maybe we should wait a year.

Thanks again for these great ideas.
    I personally, don't really like Legoland for younger kids. I think that a lot of the rides are geared towards older kids. We went last summer with our DD, who was about 18 months, and there was very little for her to do. The little ones generally have no interest in looking at all of the Lego displays, and they are too small for most of the rides. IMO, 4-6+ is a great age for Legoland. I also think it's kind of disappointing to go there after being at Disneyland. It is not as nice or as clean as DL.

When we go and stay, we usually do a character breakfast on our last day. It is great to see some characters without having to enter the park. We also just walk around Downtown Disney and check out the shops. A day off in the middle would be a great idea too. You could hang out at the pool.

Good luck, and here's hoping that you can upgrade!

When my kids were little, we loved going to Griffith Park to ride the ponies and the little train that's right by the ponies.

For a Disney tie-in, Walt's Barn is also in Griffith Park. On Sundays, the LA Live Steamers run their trains. On the third Sunday of each month, Walt's Barn is open for visits.

The LA Zoo is nearby, and well, what 2 year old doesn't like a zoo?

Another fun thing to do is brunch at the Queen Mary, which is docked in Long Beach, and there's the Aquarium of the Pacific there too.

Depending on what's playing, you might want to go to Hollywood and catch a movie at the gorgeous El Capitan Theater and then have a treat at Disney's Soda Fountain next door.

These last two suggestions would be good options for less-than-optimal weather!

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Quote Originally Posted by mkraemer View Post
    ...The LA Zoo is nearby, and well, what 2 year old doesn't like a zoo?...
    If your toddler likes zoos, the Santa Ana Zoo is close to Anaheim. It is small, humble, and inexpensive. We have friends who like to take their kids there for down-time during DLR visits. The kids can run around and see animals while decompressing from all the stimulation of the parks. You could easily do a character breakfast, the Santa Ana Zoo, and some swim time all in one day, without stressing.

I can't thank everyone enough for all of the suggestions. I'm so glad I thought to ask. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I am just curious as to where you bought your 6 day hopper. Did you buy it before Disneyland dis-continued the 6 day or did you buy it with a vacation package? Just curious!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyis4us View Post
    I am just curious as to where you bought your 6 day hopper. Did you buy it before Disneyland dis-continued the 6 day or did you buy it with a vacation package? Just curious!
    I bought them through Get Away Today prior to the price increase and the discontinuation of the 6-day hopper.