Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Matterhorn sled restraints

Matterhorn sled restraints

Can anyone tell me if the new bobsleds on the Matterhorn have the same T bar restraint that are in the Space Mountain sleds at WDW? I've been trying to find a picture that shows them and I can't seem to find a pic with just the right angle to tell.

Thanks!
    GnP

2. # ADS

Matterhorn sled restraints

I think that's what I've heard and why the higher height requirement.

Today's weekly update mentions lap bars for the new bobsleds.

Here's a photo from the update (link):

"The new bobsleds, featuring a redesigned seating configuration and lap bars, have been
    installed and are being tested.
    "

Photo by Karl Buiter

On May 3 the OC Register wrote, "The minimum height requirement for passengers will be seven inches taller – rising to 42 inches." (link)

There doesn't appear to be any official announcement about a change to the height requirement, but like the OC Register, it seems to be discussed by some.

Last edited by S S Columbia; 05-14-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    S S Columbia

"I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place -- a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it." -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Goodnplenty View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the new bobsleds on the Matterhorn have the same T bar restraint that are in the Space Mountain sleds at WDW? I've been trying to find a picture that shows them and I can't seem to find a pic with just the right angle to tell.

Thanks!
    GnP
    The new bobsleds on the Matterhorn may not have T bar restraints at all.

Here's a photo of a Space Mountain sled at WDW (the lap bar is clearly visible):

Photo by Zachery Fakterowitz (source)

In the bobsled photo below, you can't see the seat belt, but you can't see the lap bar either.

Photo from Dateline Disneyland (source)

HTH
    Last edited by S S Columbia; 05-17-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    S S Columbia

"I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place -- a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it." -Walt Disney

According to a post at another forum, the height requirement for the new Matterhorn Bobsleds is listed as 42" on the Wait Times Board on Main Street. (link)

S S Columbia

Quote Originally Posted by Goodnplenty View Post

Thanks!
    GnP
    Here's another reason to think that the new Matterhorn Bobsleds will have locking seat-belts:

According to a post at another forum, since mid-2010 DL's mechanical design team has been designing and testing locking seat-belts for the new bobsleds.

Here is the -------> post.

HTH
    S S Columbia

I am going to miss the old sleds

The new height requirement for the Matterhorn Bobsleds is 42".

That's according to DisneyGeek's photo of the Wait Board that was taken on Monday, June 11.

Photo credit: DisneyGeek.com (link)

S S Columbia

And to add to the previous post, DL's web-site was just updated and it also shows 42":

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...horn-bobsleds/

S S Columbia

I really hope my daughter is tall enough. If not, I know she will be soon - but this was her favorite ride when it closed and she has been very patiently waiting for the past 6 months for it to reopen. It's one thing when the ride is completely closed but it will be something else when there are other people riding and she possibly can't. I suppose I ought to measure her at home and prepare her for possibly needing to grow more. I was really hoping for 40" - 7" seems a pretty dramatic increase for simply redesigned ride vehicles.

Thanks SS Columbia for the perfect illustration with the pics. See, that's exactly what I've been trying to do. I could never "see" the T bar and just wasn't sure if it was there or not. I'm gonna be one happy camper if it's just seatbelts. Because I absolutely LOVE to lean into the turns!
    I would like to thank everyone who has replied. It's very kind of you to share.
    GnP

Here's a link to a post that was made back in 2010 showing the first iteration of the sleds. Assuming they haven't changed, it is indeed locking seatbelts.
    photo2.jpg

Link

They are seat belts. Bu that picture is not accurate. The bottoms of he sleds are now flat. Where we had 6 ish inches that the seat ws above the floor, the seat area is a bare inch (padding) above the floor. Also squishing 3 seats in the same dimensions we used tohave 2 seats and there is now zero leg room. It is also hard to get up and out because they are flat and your knees are bent a long way. It also makes it hard to brace yourself, so the ride hurts more. The track is just the same amount of jerkiness, the rollers on the sleds are smoother since they are new, but we will see how long that lasts.