Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Which way is best to renew AP?

Which way is best to renew AP?

I wasn't going to renew my pass in May (as I am not going again till June). I was going to buy a new pass in June etc etc. However the paperwork came in the mail and gives me a 20$ off and a coupon for park goodies. Anyways, is it better to do it directly on the AP section on Disneyland's website or should I send in the paper renewal? What is the process after I have renewed? Do I get a pass in the mail or do I pick it up at the ticket counter???

2. # ADS

You will get it in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    You will get it in the mail.
    How long does it take? So would you recommend that I renew directly online? Or mail in?

Remember, if you renew you're likely paying for time that you won't be there. You have to decide if that $20 savings is worth more than the extra time you'd get by not renewing till your trip in June. I have APs for both DL and WDW, but I never renew - I wait till my next trip. That way I might get as much as 6 months extra by waiting. For me it's worth much more than the $20 savings.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Someone around here did the math and it is not a very long time before the renewal becomes less of a bargain than a new pass. I want to say less than a month.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Someone around here did the math and it is not a very long time before the renewal becomes less of a bargain than a new pass. I want to say less than a month.
    It's less than a month till my trip, I was concerned about the possible price increase in June.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berit76 View Post
    It's less than a month till my trip, I was concerned about the possible price increase in June.
    If you have your renewal, they will honor it even if there is a price increase, as long as you renew before expiration.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

If your only concern is the potential price increase, and you are not doing the monthly payment plan, you can pre-purchase your AP now online and lock in the rate until the voucher expires. Someone reported on the rumored price increase thread that the current expiration is good through the end of the year for vouchers bought online. The past two years they have given us advanced notice of the price increase. Past performance is not indicative of future results however (aka, no guarantee they will do that again this year). Then you can simply trade your voucher for your new AP at a ticket booth. If you get there first thing and the lines are long, you can trade the 8 1/2 x 11 voucher for the ticket sized voucher at the entrance gate and then go to a ticket booth later in the day when the lines are shorter.

I'm personally a fan of extending the time between passes especially when you know that you aren't going for a month. Assuming I average 1 month between renewals, I get a "free" year every 12.

I could be wrong on this. But the procedure they just had me do a few months ago was to go to the gate (bypassing the ticket booth completely), showing my voucher, and then getting my picture taken by any Photopass photographer. Now that I think about it, I can't remember where I actually got my physical AP card from.

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I could be wrong on this. But the procedure they just had me do a few months ago was to go to the gate (bypassing the ticket booth completely), showing my voucher, and then getting my picture taken by any Photopass photographer. Now that I think about it, I can't remember where I actually got my physical AP card from.
    To my knowledge, the only place that you can get the plastic annual pass is at the ticket booth. If he has already had an annual pass, his picture should still be on file, skipping the need for a photopass photo. You don't have to do it first, and first thing in the morning you can go straight to the gate, but I'm pretty sure that eventually you have to go to a ticket booth.

I think you're right, currence. I'm remembering a little more of what I did. I started at the ticket booth, but they told me to go straight to the gate with the voucher. Once I used the voucher to go through the gate, I then went to a Photopass photographer for my picture. Then I went back to the ticket booth later in the day to pick up my AP.

I'm not where I can check this, but don't DL APs NOT have pictures? I think they're still on the WDW ones. Or am I completely wrong on this?

- James Taylor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I think you're right, currence. I'm remembering a little more of what I did. I started at the ticket booth, but they told me to go straight to the gate with the voucher. Once I used the voucher to go through the gate, I then went to a Photopass photographer for my picture. Then I went back to the ticket booth later in the day to pick up my AP.

I'm not where I can check this, but don't DL APs NOT have pictures? I think they're still on the WDW ones. Or am I completely wrong on this?
    My understanding is WDW APs have never had pictures. Disneyland APs stopped having pictures about last March.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Last year I renewed in the summer because it was like a $70 difference than if I waited the one month before my trip and got a new AP.

I think last year the rates had just went up, so they didn't jack up the renewals for an extra month or two.

Therefore, last year, it really paid off at my time of year, to renew by mail.

However, if it's only a $20 difference, it's probably better to wait and see if you're actually going to be going back anytime soon.