Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Magical Express Question...is it fast?

Quote Originally Posted by betsyrina View Post
    I can't comment on Magical Express with authority yet, but I do plan to use it when I arrive in a couple of weeks. But one thing my family does when on a Disney vacation is treat all forms of transportation as a "ride". It's kind of fun to think about how many and what form of "rides" you go on before even going into the parks. DME will be our first ride once we get to Florida, before that, we will "ride" to the airport and fly to Florida.
    Agree, the busses, monorails etc are fun.

As the one who would have been driving and figuring out where to go, it was great to just hop on the bus, listen to the music and get excited with the kids about the day, instead of stressing about driving and parking and getting gas etc. Its so easy and fast to hop on the busses. They are very clean and are part of the whole experience IMO. Kids like the bus rides with the other excited families too. Its a good time to chat and get tips from others.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    You are obviously an intelligent and discerning person! Seriously, it's all about whatever works best for you. Some folks hate to drive, and love taking the busses everywhere. If that makes your vacation better, go for it!

(But seriously, my way is better . . . . .)

That is what is boils down to. Something that could be right for you one trip might not work another etc. Situations of each trip will dictate what you need. I'm too impatient to wait for the ferry or monorail from the TTC
    Formerly tinkinparis

And I'm too impatient to wait for the busses. Different strokes . . .

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I just had the conversation with DH about dumping the car and using ME and a few taxis as we are eating at Epcot a lot, staying at BC and not going off site a lot. I thought he would jump on this but having now had a car at Disney I can confirm he is firmly on team Dan! The car stays.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Wow - didn't even know I had a team!

- James Taylor

I don't think you SAVE any time getting to your resort from the airport when you rent a car vs taking the DME. From the handful of times we have used DME, I don't recall having to wait an extraordinary amount of time..

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Here's an interesting one: If things get a little better on the job front next year, I'm going to take my mom and the boys for Mitch's graduation. I asked about a towncar (I'm super spoiled now and consider it a line item in the budget), but Mitch said, "NO! I want to go DME. It's part of the experience for me. It's like bookends for the trip." Well, ok then! Save $120!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

I think DME, especially from the airport to the resort is part of the experience. Your disney vacation begins once you check in at the airport for the DME... so I get that.. Of course, simply walking from the concourse to your ground transportation is also part of the disney experience.. you can feel the magic once your in the concourse... pretty cool!

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaMouse View Post
    "It's like bookends for the trip."
    Brilliant description!
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks Everyone. I've decided to rent a car. I hate lines and don't want to wait hours on my luggage. I got a Premium Car on name-your-quote on Priceline for $30/day including fees! Parking at the Wilderness lodge will be free and easy. I also love the idea of hitting the grocery store and liquor store that first night after the kids go asleep.

Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyJayhawk View Post
    Thanks Everyone. I've decided to rent a car. I hate lines and don't want to wait hours on my luggage. I got a Premium Car on name-your-quote on Priceline for $30/day including fees! Parking at the Wilderness lodge will be free and easy. I also love the idea of hitting the grocery store and liquor store that first night after the kids go asleep.
    Interesting what you hate to do, and how we all have different interpretations for the same event. On our last trip we skipped the luggage area at the airport and just walked down to the DME area. About 5 minutes later the bus was there. While riding to WDW we watched videos on the overhead screen and listed to Disney music. One stop at a different hotel, then on to ours. We were dropped off at the front door, checked in, and went up to check out our room (which was fine). We then made a quick stop at the grocery store in the building for some breakfast food, water, soda, wine, etc, and after stocking our frig headed out for an evening at Epcot. We "remembered" our luggage when we got back to out room and found it there. Never did have to worry about going out to find the car in the lot, driving to a theme park, parking the car and riding the tram in the heat of the day. Disney transportation dropped us of fat the gate. Didn't have to take the tram and walk out to our car at the end of the day, either. This was just too easy.

But in the past we've always gone the car rental route, and always appreciated how we were in control of our day. So to each his/her own!
    Stan

Stan, I know that we each have our own way of doing things, and I'm glad your way works for you. But what you didn't mention about Disney transportation is that you have to wait for your bus to come along, both at your hotel and at the parks. This is what I just can't stand, and having my own car eliminates this completely. At some parks I still have to wait a bit for a tram, but it's usually far less of a wait than waiting for a bus. Plus I like to change clothes immediately on arrival, and don't want to wait even a few hours for my bag to appear in my room. Waiting a few minutes at the airport for my bag is no big deal, and then I just roll across the street to pick up my car.

My way works great for me!!!

- James Taylor

Stan, I know that we each have our own way of doing things, and I'm glad your way works for you. But what you didn't mention about Disney transportation is that you have to wait for your bus to come along, both at your hotel and at the parks. This is what I just can't stand, and having my own car eliminates this completely. At some parks I still have to wait a bit for a tram, but it's usually far less of a wait than waiting for a bus. Plus I like to change clothes immediately on arrival, and don't want to wait even a few hours for my bag to appear in my room. Waiting a few minutes at the airport for my bag is no big deal, and then I just roll across the street to pick up my car.

My way works great for me!!!
    And sadly the wait is getting longer because of the increasing number of people confined to motorized carts. I actually enjoy taking the bus, but after last year, I was ready to join team Dan. We may use my mom's car a few times this visit, especially the night we want to stay and watch Illuminations at EPCOT; the crowd following this celebration is particularly bus-clogging.
    1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    especially the night we want to stay and watch Illuminations at EPCOT; the crowd following this celebration is particularly bus-clogging.
    There are two tricks this - watch from between Canada and Mexico (I forget what those stores are called, but around them) and then BOOK it out of Epcot as soon/just before the show is over -- or take a leisurely trip around WS and/or shop.
    If I don't do one of those, that's the time I'm most likely to use some of my taxi money (particularly since the taxis are right there when I stay at POFQ/POR - just taunting me!)
    Cathy

I have this problem when closing the MK - both the monorails and the boats are WAY overwhelmed with people. My usual trick is to stroll slowly over to the Contemporary, and hop on a monorail there. It's a bit more walking, but it's much quicker than waiting in either of those mondo lines.

As to Epcot, doing that long slow walk around the World Showcase is the only way to go. It's extremely cool to have the place almost to yourself once you pass through the hordes heading for the gates!

- James Taylor

I have this problem when closing the MK - both the monorails and the boats are WAY overwhelmed with people. My usual trick is to stroll slowly over to the Contemporary, and hop on a monorail there. It's a bit more walking, but it's much quicker than waiting in either of those mondo lines.

As to Epcot, doing that long slow walk around the World Showcase is the only way to go. It's extremely cool to have the place almost to yourself once you pass through the hordes heading for the gates!
    That would work out perfectly for me, but not for the rest of my family, especially at the end of a long, hot day. When it's just me in the future though, I'm in!
    1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    There are two tricks this - watch from between Canada and Mexico (I forget what those stores are called, but around them) and then BOOK it out of Epcot as soon/just before the show is over -- or take a leisurely trip around WS and/or shop.
    If I don't do one of those, that's the time I'm most likely to use some of my taxi money (particularly since the taxis are right there when I stay at POFQ/POR - just taunting me!)
    There's one more "trick"....stay at an Epcot resort and head out the International Gateway.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Touche, Shannon! You got me on that one!

Heck, go out that way and to Beach club and catch a taxi there to your resort might be faster and less aggravating, too!

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    That would work out perfectly for me, but not for the rest of my family, especially at the end of a long, hot day.
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not wild about the long-ish walk to the Contemporary. But it beats standing in line like cattle next to all the hot tired sweaty cranky park stormers!
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    There's one more "trick"....stay at an Epcot resort and head out the International Gateway.
    Yes! I cannot wait to be doing that. I will be the one with a smug face

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyJayhawk View Post
    Glad you made a decision that makes you happy. We rent a car 90% of the time and sometimes we use the busses. It's no biggy, but we do prefer to have our own transportation to and from the airport. Like mentioned...different strokes for different folks!

Hava a magical trip!

Stephanie

This has been a big debate with my family for our upcoming trip in Sept. I am not worried about the Airport as much as getting around the parks and dining reservations. We are also concerned with being smashed in when there is 8 of us. Anyone have advice for going Sept 6 - 12?

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With 8 people, you are going to need to get a minivan at least or two mid-sized cars. Either choice increases your costs quite a bit. (Mini-vans pretty much always cost a good chunk more...)

Early September is a great time to go and with a little planning, you wont need a car. In this case, its a time vs money situation. You can get to anything you want to do with Disney transportation - it just takes a little longer. The question then remains - is the extra cost of a rental really going to be worth it?

As we see from this thread, and others like it - there is no clear answer. Its really based upon your preference, budget, and what you plan to do.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not wild about the long-ish walk to the Contemporary. But it beats standing in line like cattle next to all the hot tired sweaty cranky park stormers!
    But Dan, in your earlier post you said by having a car you eliminated the waiting entirely. Apparently waiting for a boat or monorail doesn't count?
    Stan

An 8 person minivan needs to be booked way in advance. Many only seat 7.