Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Car Rental Costs

Crazy Car Rental Costs

I travel quite a bit. Just paid $200 for a car rental in Waikiki for a week, $200 for a week on Maui, less than that for Vegas. What's up with MCO? I just booked 9 days at a couple places for around $400. The cheapest is FOX but the reviews are scary, so I also booked SIXT for about $100 more. We are staying at my Mother-in-law's timeshare so we'll need a car to get to the parks. I'm not going until the end of October, so maybe I'm reserving it too early.

2. # ADS

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always book my car rentals with Hotwire.com. Their deals are really good. But, once you book, that's it no cancellations or exchanges are allowed.

I wait until I'm about 2 - 3 months out to book and I just booked 9 days in Orlando from MCO with a Mid-size for under $300 thru Hotwire.com. Our car rental place is at Hertz.

Stephanie

Thank you for the info. I'd rather book Hertz @ $300 than over $400 for an unknown company.

Blog Entries

I use codes off of mousesavers.com and check each car rental company every few days and keep booking and canceling until 2 days before. I have started at $400 and one time got a mid-size SUV for 1 week for $75.00. It takes work, but I get so excited when I see a price drop!

Kristin

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First: KRISTIN!!! CONGRATS! LOOK AT THAT PHOTO!!! HOW GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Ok, back to the topic...

We didn't pick Hertz, we wound up with it...but Hotwire doesn't give us "scary" rental places...after the booking, that's when you find out which place you pick up the car.

And I agree, Mousesavers is also a wonderful place for amazing discounts!

Stephanie

I second the Hotwire recommendation. I've used them many times for rental cars and they almost always seem to have the best deals.

Tony S.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/][/url]

Visiting WDW Since 1982

Specials do pop up. Keep your reservation for now, keep checking; if and when something better comes, cancel the first one

Stan

If you're a Costco member, try that. I was able to get a mid-size (we ended up with an SUV) for 10 days in Jan/Feb for $150 from Avis. I tried all the codes on Mousesavers, and Costco came out significantly cheaper.

Entertainment books have coupon codes as well. I prefer booking directly with the rental company's web site. I can change or cancel when I find a better rate.

Keep checking!! Keep checking, keep checking!! I went from over $400.00 to a full size for a week this June 8th-19th and got down to $263.00. The prices to begin with were just crazy and are again. I originally booked through travelocity, as you can cancel with them. THen I found Alamo through Costco.com. If you have a Costco card check there. In the search box type, travel or car rental and it will bring up the page. You can cancel and re-reserve with Costco as well. Seriously though I think booking now is too early. Seems to be the way now, as before early was better.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Quote Originally Posted by houseofmouse View Post
    Keep checking!! Keep checking, keep checking!! I went from over $400.00 to a full size for a week this June 8th-19th and got down to $263.00. The prices to begin with were just crazy and are again. I originally booked through travelocity, as you can cancel with them. THen I found Alamo through Costco.com. If you have a Costco card check there. In the search box type, travel or car rental and it will bring up the page. You can cancel and re-reserve with Costco as well. Seriously though I think booking now is too early. Seems to be the way now, as before early was better.
    I think it's too early too. I just like to plan & budget. Typically, I reserve about 3 months in advance and then keep checking. Carrentals.com has always been very successful for me (without pre-paying or putting down a credit card). I don't get to WDW too often, so I don't have any "typical" rates to compare to for Florida.

Visiting WDW Since 1982

Do you HAVE to rent at MCO? Or can you take a shuttle and rent somewhere else? Last year we took DME to WDW and for the time we needed a car rented from Enterprise on Hotel Plaza Blvd. The cost off-airport can be considerably less. Also, while most car rental places there tack on a "hotel concession fee", Enterprise does not. Also, Enterprise will pick you up at your hotel (others may or may not).

the only caveat is that these places are not necessarily open 24 hours/day, so know their hours before you make the leap.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by stan2u View Post
    Do you HAVE to rent at MCO? Or can you take a shuttle and rent somewhere else? Last year we took DME to WDW and for the time we needed a car rented from Enterprise on Hotel Plaza Blvd. The cost off-airport can be considerably less. Also, while most car rental places there tack on a "hotel concession fee", Enterprise does not. Also, Enterprise will pick you up at your hotel (others may or may not).

the only caveat is that these places are not necessarily open 24 hours/day, so know their hours before you make the leap.
    They are staying at an offsite timeshare.

Visiting WDW Since 1982

Yes, I saw that, but a lot of the offsites have shuttles, too, so that alone would not eliminate a non-MCO rental. Just a suggestion.

Stan

I kinda think I DO need to rent the car at MCO. We land at 6:00 am! I am finding that checking the car out at MCO and returning it to FLL are similar, so we might leave WDW after 8 days and spend a few days in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami. I haven't booked a return flight yet. We are flying Alaska TO Florida (I had a credit about to expire) and will return via Southwest in either MCO or FLL.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Florida law prevents car rental companies from charging a one-way fee. So it SHOULD be the same if you return to FLL or MCO. There could be small differences because of airport fees or other local taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post
    I use codes off of mousesavers.com and check each car rental company every few days and keep booking and canceling until 2 days before. I have started at $400 and one time got a mid-size SUV for 1 week for $75.00. It takes work, but I get so excited when I see a price drop!
    Thank you for this info!
    The mosted wasted of days, is the one without laughter-E E Cummings

I also think you are looking to early. Unless you are booking around a holiday or peak season FL car rental rates tend to drop when demand is not great. I would hold a res now if it makes you feel better. Just don't pay in advance or give a credit card now. Then about 4 weeks out start shopping around.

I live here and this is what I see happen all the time to family & friend who come visit.

Last Sunday I booked a SUV with Thrifty car rental for pick up at MCO on 6/19 drop off 6/30. Total base price is $137 with taxes and fees total is $203. Unlimited miles. The same car two months ago was over $700. You can also save a bit more if you are open to other size of cars. In the above case I was looking for a compact car orginally but a great deal on the SUV poppped up so I went with that. Just keep checking prices change all the time.

Mily

We are landing in MCO on Oct. 27 and departing Ft. Lauderdale on Nov. 9. I have booked Budget for a compact car. $480 base rate/ $621 total with taxes. Since it's 6 months out, I know I can get a better deal & will keep searching. After reading many SCARY reviews, I cancelled the cheaper car rates I had reserved with Fox, Sixt & other (I'm assuming) local companies. I'll stick with a national company. The type of car doesn't matter to me. We will be 3 people and with gas so high (and a 4 hour drive to Miami after WDW), the smaller the better!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know what kind of packer you are - but don't forget that you need to allow room for your luggage, too! If you're super heavy packers (i.e., all have a large checked bag and a backpack carry on plus purse for the females) the person in the back is likely going to be sharing space with luggage. Some compacts wouldn't have room in the trunk for two larger checked bags, even!

One company (I think it was National) tried to convince me that a VW bug was a 'premium' car, when I'd paid for a midsize. They reversed some of the charges. Sorry, but if it's got 2 doors unless it's a convertible or doesn't have a back seat at all, I don't consider it premium! It was a 'pick your own car' situation, and that was the ONLY car available! (Not at MCO)

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by menicksmom View Post
    The type of car doesn't matter to me. We will be 3 people and with gas so high (and a 4 hour drive to Miami after WDW), the smaller the better!
    Sometimes the larger cars are cheaper. We only take mid-size SUVs if they are cheaper. Also, depending on how many suitcases you have you should get at least a mid-size. For 4 people we always get at least a mid-size and we have become experts on stuffing the car to it's capacity. We also don't mind if there is a suitcase on our laps. Our suitcases are in the 30-40lb range.
    Kristin

We are staying at a timeshare for most of the trip & it includes a washer & dryer, so we won't need to pack a lot. It always make she laugh to see what size car the car rental company is going to try to give me & what they are going to call it. They always try to give us a big boat & make it sound so appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by momof three View Post
    I also think you are looking to early. Unless you are booking around a holiday or peak season FL car rental rates tend to drop when demand is not great. I would hold a res now if it makes you feel better. Just don't pay in advance or give a credit card now. Then about 4 weeks out start shopping around.
    Another time you'll want to book in advance is if you need a vehicle for 8 or more. Most of the SUVs and minivans rental agencies use seat 7. Though they do have some minivans that seat 8, there are only a few and they go quickly.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Looks like I also need to take into consideration those SunPass gadgets. From what I've been reading online, their prices are ALL over the place & Florida has some toll booths that don't accept cash. I've been trying to figure out if I'll be passing one of those unmanned stations, but if I accidentally do & don't have a SunPass, then it's going to cost a fortune in fees. Maybe there's a app for that!

Just got an SUV on Expedia through National for $356 for 2 weeks. Not my first choice for a car, but the SUV was 1/2 the price of all the either cars. No credit card requires either so I can shop around easily.