Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Grown-ups trip [which Deluxe resort?]

Grown-ups trip [which Deluxe resort?]

Hello All!
    My DH & I are taking our young sons & staying at the WL in June.
    However, I am planning to surprise DH with a 10th anniversary trip for just the 2 of us.
    I am leaning towards staying at one of the Epcot Deluxes, but was wondering whether you would recommend the Boardwalk or Yacht Club?
    I am hoping for a romantic trip just for the 2 of us!
    Thanks for any input!

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really don't think you can go wrong with either of those two! (Or Beach Club) Some people like walking through the Boardwalk area for the 'lively vibe' in the evening, others might prefer the more sedate beach area at the Yacht Club. I think the pool at Yacht/Beach is a bit 'better' but that's not likely to be a huge consideration for a romantic trip - and some don't care for the clown at the Boardwalk pool, so if you have an adversion to clowns, might want to go Yacht Club.

Cathy

Blog Entries

If you are going to spend any time at the pool, you should pick the Beach/Yacht! It has the best pool. We also like the proximity to Beaches and Cream and being a squinch closer to Epcot.

I personally find the Beach Club decor more to my liking (brighter, lighter); my husband liked the look of the Yacht Club (darker, more formal).

I'm personally not a fan of the decor/theming of the Boardwalk and that scary clown pool gives me the jeebies but it has a relaxing lawn area, immediate access to the Boardwalk activities, and people watching.

They are all nice in their own way.

If you haven't been away from your kids in a while, I'm sure you'll love any of them. If you don't have a preference, I think you can be comfortable picking whichever is offering the best price/view option and putting any "savings" toward a special meal, massage, or Richard Petty driving experience (whatever floats your boat!).

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

The Yacht Club and Beach Club are side by side. So it's a matter of theming and location. The Beach Club is closer to Epcot, which is my favorite park, so that would be the deciding factor for me. But you can't go wrong with any of the hotels in this area, all within walking distance of both Epcot and the Studios.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

If hubby likes the occasional beer, and the scary clown pool is of no concern, then the Boardwalk is a plus. He can walk across the Boardwalk parking lot to the Hess 'store' (gas station) located slightly off property and purchase some at a significant savings over Disney prices. Otherwise, the Beach Club or the Yacht Club is the way to go.

Have a Happy Anniversary trip.

ETA: If applicable, (for example if you just have MYW passes for this trip) I hope you are looking into upgrading your's & DH's to AP's for your anniversary trip (if the anniversary occurs within 1 year of your June 2012 family trip). In fact, it might also make financial sense to upgrade to an AP immediately and get a TiW card and then the TiW can be used for the family trip in June as well as the Anniversary trip. (<- all this depends on the timing and ticket media that you already have for the June trip, of course).

Last edited by Barberella; 05-01-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    “When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

We're staying at the Boardwalk this October. Thanks for the tip about the Hess store! We normally like mixed drinks at the resorts/parks, but cheap beer and our room fridge will do JUST FINE!

^ Further details on getting to the Hess store, what you can buy there, as well info on the Boardwalk can be gleaned from reading - or re-reading - the delightful trip reports of Steve Russo.

Here's one which is very entertaining plus it has specific instructions on how to get to the Hess store from the Boardwalk - http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/show...ber-25-30-2008

You can also advance search his trip reports with the term "Hess" to look for specific references.

“When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does the 'brewery' on the Boardwalk sell growlers? (Half-gallon bottles)

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Barberella View Post
    ^ Further details on getting to the Hess store, what you can buy there, as well info on the Boardwalk can be gleaned from reading - or re-reading - the delightful trip reports of Steve Russo.

Here's one which is very entertaining plus it has specific instructions on how to get to the Hess store from the Boardwalk - http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/show...ber-25-30-2008

You can also advance search his trip reports with the term "Hess" to look for specific references.
    Are you his wife 'Barb'?!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

^ I'm flattered that you think so (that woman must have the patience of a saint ) but no. I'm just someone who was coming by to read the trip reports and glean some tips from them...and then one day, I decided to hang out occasionally.

1) You cannot go wrong. You are picking from great hotels. Read the advice, then go with your gut.

2) I second the bit about Beach Club being "light and bright" and Yacht being darker. I like Beach, haven't stayed at the Yacht, the pool is shared by both and is amazing and hands-down the best pool of them all. And Beach is just a bit closer to Epcot than Yacht, and more significantly closer than Boardwalk (the Boardwalk is far enough that it required a ferry ride, but can just hoof it from Yacht/Beach). I think Beach would be plenty Romantic.

3) Boardwalk is closer to nightlife action. If you like to "do" at night, and not just "be", keep that in mind. Decor of Boardwalk is great, and the slide on the clown pool is a blast. Yes, the clown is a bit creepy, but it shouldn't be a showstopper. I heard somewhere that Johnny Depp always stays at the Boardwalk when he's in town.

4) You might feel guilty enjoying the Yacht/Beach pool without the kids. I don't know your budget, but if you think another trip is in your future you might want to save Beach Club to do with your kids. To me, Boardwalk has a little bit more of an "adult" vibe to it. So perhaps do Boardwalk this time, and save Beach for next time.

Have fun!

For a romantic trip I would recommend Club Level at Wilderness Lodge or a Studio at the Villas. You forget you are at WDW when you are that WL. Very peaceful. If you are going to eat at Epcot everynight then the Epcot resorts are best. However, food at Artist Point and boat ride to California Grill makes for a nice time as well.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 528toI4 View Post
    For a romantic trip I would recommend Club Level at Wilderness Lodge or a Studio at the Villas. You forget you are at WDW when you are that WL. Very peaceful. If you are going to eat at Epcot everynight then the Epcot resorts are best. However, food at Artist Point and boat ride to California Grill makes for a nice time as well.
    I have to agree with this. My wife and I did our romantic trip at the Wilderness Lodge and it was wonderful. The view across the lake, the big fireplaces in the lobby, the nature walk, Artist Point, the boat rides to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail resorts all made for a very romantic setting.

Both our favorite resorts. At WL we always get courtyard view because we love just sitting an enjoying the sites late at night or early morning. If you decide an Epcot location choose the Yacht Club over the Beach club as there are far more balconies at the YC.

We've done a few anniversary w/o kids trips, and during those trips we have stayed at the Wilderness Villas, Beach Club & Boardwalk. Wilderness was a beautiful, relaxing resort - however we love the Epcot area, and like being able to walk to Studios, so we gravitated toward the Epcot resorts, which is what I would suggest if dinners &/or drinks out and people watching and relaxing is at the top of your child-free trip list! We did enjoy Beach Club& Wilderness so much that we brought the kids back for other trips- but if I were to pick I'd go Boardwalk. If a quiet pool is your thing, there is one of those there, aside from the "clown" pool. If offers great people watching, too. But really, any of the Epcot resorts will be awesome. Enjoy your trip!

I mentioned vacationing at Disney to my wife after the kids were grown... she said "no way. After the kids are grown, were not going back.. we only go for the kids". I guess I wont let her in on my secret that I enjoy it as much as the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
    I mentioned vacationing at Disney to my wife after the kids were grown... she said "no way. After the kids are grown, were not going back.. we only go for the kids". I guess I wont let her in on my secret that I enjoy it as much as the kids.
    That's just so sad Our first 3 visits were without kids and awesome! With kids it's lovely to share with them, but Disney isn't only for kids!!!

WDW: 2012 (Contemporary), 2010 (Caribbean Beach) , 2007 (Animal Kingdom), 2001 (Beach Club)
    DLR: 5/2014, 4/2014, 10/2013, 1989, 1979

Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Quote Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
    Wow - VERY sad to hear this. We've been there many, many times over the years, and only twice with our daughter as a "kid". Most of the time it's just been the two of us, and it's still the favorite place to vacation.
    Stan

Hi!

My husband and I love animals and wildlife, so we always got a savannah view room at AKL so we could sit on our balcony to watch breakfast and dinner time for the animals. We love to watch the animals RUN to their caretakers for food. Morning coffee and sunset/watching the stars come out is also spectacular.

We hope our baby daughter will enjoy it with us soon....

Have a magical day!
    Julia Elzie
    Independent Vacation Planner
    MEI Travel and Mouse Fan Travel
    Http://www.mousefantravel.com
    Email: juliae@mei-travel.com

Have a great day!

Hi Julia and Stacy,
    What time of day do the animals have breakfast in the morning? And dinner?
    My wife and I love the Grand Floridian for our romantic getaways. Doesn't get much better than that.
    And believe it or not, Coronado Springs was a very romantic stay also for us. Go figure.
    I have been a very selfish person and one thing that WDW has helped me with is seeing that the secret to life is thinking of others and how to help/serve. Not codependant, but altruistic. So if I focus on how to help her have a good time it does not matter what hotel we are at really we seem to have a great time. But if I am thinking about my own selfish needs all the time we could be staying in the nicest room on property and I would still be miserable.
    So my attitude is everything and the Disney magic helps foster a great attitude within me. I just need to feed and nuture that attitude instead of my selfish-self centered nature.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    And believe it or not, Coronado Springs was a very romantic stay also for us. Go figure.
    I've stayed at almost all of the hotels on property, including several premiums, and the CSR still gets my vote most times. It's a beautiful property! I love the water, and I really like having our own 15-acre lagoon right there in the middle of it all!!!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Hi Julia and Stacy,
    What time of day do the animals have breakfast in the morning? And dinner?
    I wanted to chime in about the beauty of the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but since you had already narrowed down your choices I kept things to myself.

The animals are not on any sort of timer so the views from the balcony can't really be predicted, but from our numerous experiences there, you will see a variety of animals throughout the day. We have so many photos of multiple giraffes, zebras, and other animals it's difficult to believe it's a hotel room in Florida. Of course Disney know how to promote good views on the savannah and place the food in various locations around the viewable areas to encourage animal movement in AKL. The animals know the sounds of the pick-up truck used for feeding time and they often follow it around.

The other advantage to AKL is the peace and quiet your feel there. Since AKL is a single large building, due to the safety of the animals I assume, it always seems like one "home". No need to travel outside to different buildings. I also assume the deluxe tag keeps the larger (and younger) tour groups out so the peacefulness of the resort really stands out to us. The in resort dining options are excellent and transportation is reasonable. The bus shares with the AK vacation club resort but no other hotels.