Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Can't decide where to stay

Can't decide where to stay

The last time I stayed at a Disney hotel, the Carribean was a value hotel lol!!

Here's the plan for us: my daughter and I are going as we've never had a proper vacation. She will be 22 when we go. We are planning to be there from Sept 27, 2012 thru Oct 4. I think one of the value resorts is going to be the best for us financially but I honestly can't decide where to make our reservations. I was thinking the music resort because we are both big music fans but I keep reading about the POP resort. Thoughts? I really wanted to stay at the Art of Anim but they only have family suites and for two of us, that just seems silly lol!

I'm also debating the dining plan. We are going to MK, Epcot and Animal Kingdom with Park Hopper. For the days we aren't doing Disney parks I'm just not sure it makes sense to add one of the dining plans but I can't decide haha!

Thanks for your help! Love this site!

2. # ADS

I'd try the Art of Animation resort. The Little Mermaid section are rooms and not the family suites if I've read correctly. I think the newness and overall beautiful theming, based on the photos I've seen, would make it a better choice than POP or any of the Al-Stars. POP would be my second choice over the All-Stars if for no other reasons than the bus situation there and age of the resort.

Well so far the Little Mermaid section is booked but when we actually make firm decisions I will definitely check just in case something opens up! My daughter had a Little Mermaid car when she was 3 and it was her fav Disney movie so of course I wanted to stay there but so far we can't.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why skip the Studios if you're going to be there for a week?
    Also, you'll be there for the opening of the Food & Wine Festival (Sept 28) and I would think you'd both enjoy that quite a bit. During the F&W Fest, especially for adult groups, I have a hard time recommending the Dining Plan. Personally, even without the Festival, the Dining Plan doesn't work for the way I eat at WDW, but especially during the festival it would change how I eat.

The Little Mermaid section doesn't open until Sept 16, so that might be why you're having troubles - it's going to be BRAND new when you're there, and there might be people visiting in last September just so they can be one of the first few guests in a room. I would definitely call Disney (or a travel agent) to see if there just might be something with the online booking. I just checked, and I tried to book the dates you posted, and no availability - but when I changed the arrival to the 30th, it was available. So if you really want to stay there, consider a split stay!

My go-to value resort is Pop Century, just because it's newer and I like the layout of the resort a little better than the All Stars (the central building is a little more centrally located, so the farthest out rooms aren't quite as far out). It is also nice to not share a bus with the other hotels, but Pop has quite a few more rooms than any of the All Stars, so you aren't necessarily sharing the bus with fewer people. (And you don't ALWAYS share a bus at All Stars)

Also, there was a free dining promotion that ended on Sept 29, so you might be seeing the hold-over from that. (You had to book by May 18th.) That also means that Table Service restaurants are going to be fairly full, so you should make any ADRs you need ASAP.

Cathy

Thank you so much for your help! I'm waiting to talk to my daughter to see how she feels about splitting up the hotel stay. On one hand, I'm all for it if it means we can stay at AoA! The drawback is we are women and well we pack waaaaaay too much stuff lol! The thought of moving it doesn't make me happy lol!

Thank you also on your opinion about the dining plan. We tend to eat kind of weird and at odd times so I wasn't sure it made sense for us.

As of DHS, there just doesn't seems to be much there that appeals to either of us and I just really wasn't sure it was worth the extra money. My daughter is also going to meet a friend in Orlando and they are going to Universal one day to see the Harry Potter stuff. I'm not interested at all in Universal so I might just relax by the pool that day!!

As for the ADR, what happens if you don't have that? Will you just not get in the restaurant at all? Because of the Food & Wine fest, is it going to be extra crowded?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinRocks View Post
    We tend to eat kind of weird and at odd times so I wasn't sure it made sense for us.
    Then I REALLY don't think you should do the dining plan.
    The Studios does have some fun stuff - Toy Story Midway Mania is a blast, even if you're not 1000% into video games. And the thrill rides there are pretty good (Tower of Terror, Rock n Rollercoaster, Star Tours). PLUS they have the Little Mermaid Show!!!

The packing up can be a pain when you move - but Disney will move your luggage for you, so at least you don't have to hassle with that.

And if you stay at Pop I THINK you can walk over the Generation Gap bridge to see Art of Animation. (Not 100% positive they've opened that up when they opened up the resort.)

If you don't have an ADR, for many places you won't get in for that meal. If you're eating at off times, your chances improve - but not always. The Food & Wine fest is usually crowded with locals on Friday and Saturday in particular, and you'll be there for the opening (and the 25th anniversary of Epcot), but if you go to the Festival on weekdays, it's usually quite pleasant.
    Cathy

The dining plan makes no difference to whether it not you will get into your chosen restaurants. Only booking your ADRs in advance will achieve that.

Thanks for the suggestion about ADR because I just made a late lunch reservation at Coral Reef on the 28th.

guess it depends on your plans.... i dont use the resort that much. i use my room for shower, sleep and grab something to eat on my way out in the morning. pools are usually active with kids but doesnt bother me since i am not around much.

i am pro and con for the disney dining plan. i am leaving in a few days for wdw...and i guessed how much i would spend per day looking at menus on other sites. for me it is much cheaper to go without the DDP. however i went with an older friend...and we wanted a sit down meal every day so we went with the dining plan and for sure ate more each day than we paid for. although, then the plan included appetizer entree dessert and one non alcoholic drink. so i guess it comes down to figuring out how much time you want to spend eating, and if you want fast meals . good luck with the decision

Miltimo5
    ºoº Hopefull Future CM ºoº
    ºoº 25th visit July 2-11, 2012 All Star Music ºoº

If I'm reading your original post correctly, you haven't been for years. Therefore, the big consideration is how you will spend your time, because for all intents and purposes, it will almost be like you've never been. Of course, some parts will be familiar, but much more won't.

For that reason, I think you should pick a resort (Pop Century) and stay put. You can go resort hopping - from the Grand Floridan to the Polynesian to Art of Animation anytime - you can check out all the public areas of any resorts simply by catching Disney transportation from the parks. It really eats up too much vacation time to change resorts. Additionally, wherever DME drops you off (assuming that you are taking Disney's Magical Express) is where they will pick you up - so there is a bit of comfort in getting to know a resort during the week that you are there.

Pop has been renovated in the last couple of years, is not difficult to get into and does not share buses (like many of the All Stars). All Values only have full (double) beds, but since there's two of them in the room, and it's just you and your daughter, the bed size will be more than adequate.

I am almost always not a fan of the Disney Dining Plan UNLESS one is able to get the "free" dining plan - and there are indications that you are not able to get it for the time you are there.

Last edited by Barberella; 06-28-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    “When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barberella View Post
    It really eats up too much vacation time to change resorts. Additionally, wherever DME drops you off (assuming that you are taking Disney's Magical Express) is where they will pick you up - so there is a bit of comfort in getting to know a resort during the week that you are there.
    I have to disagree with both of these points. The only time it really takes is to pack up your stuff and unpack at your new location. Especially if you just spend a couple of nights at the first location, you don't have to unpack everything. If you do auto chekc out, you don't have to stop at your first resorts desk, you just drop the luggage with bell services, let them know where it needs to go - and go on with your day. The evening or afternoon (if you're taking a break) take the bus to the new resort and check in there and your luggage should be there for you.

And DME will pick you up at a different resort. You basically have your inbound associated with the first room reservation, and your homeward flight associated with the second room reservation. I've done it with no problems.
    Cathy

^We will have to agree to disagree then. As you point out, there is the always the time taken to pack and unpack, but you also have to factor in that check-out and check-in times are usually 4 hours apart. While it would be unusual to experience a delay in having your room at your 2nd resort unavailable until check-in time - especially if you are already a guest - it can and has happened.

And, of course, DME will pick you up a different resort, I never suggested otherwise. My comments, directed to the OP (as she has not been for many years) are along the lines of keeping the arrangements as simple as possible.

“When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Blog Entries

Oh, I see you were talking at a micro-level on 'where DME picks you up' (outside this curb, under this roof) vs macro-level which is what I was thinking you meant (Pop vs Art of Animation)!!

And if you spend those 4 hours playing in a park, you don't even notice that it happened!

But I understand your reasoning with the goal of 'keep it simple' !!!

Cathy