Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Summer or Oct Trip???

Cool Summer or Oct Trip???

So... I am starting to plan a DL trip because we are obsessed with Disneyland and because Carsland is opening and my DS (5) LOVES cars and cannot wait to go see it!! We are thinking of going Oct. 6th-Oct. 9th. We would drive over on Saturday and then do the parks Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday and return home on Wednesday. I chose these dates because the kids (DS and DD (6)) and I have them off for fall break and then I don't miss work and they don't miss school. My husband will just take time off. I think my parents may also go. I know Sunday will be the last day for Gay Days and I know it will be busy. How busy is it around this time of year? I also thought about going this summer but I thought it would be a little less busy in Oct... Yes or no?? We went to DL this past Dec, the second week and it wasn't too bad. Our main deal is checking out all of the new DCA stuff. I would appreciate any thoughts. We are also thinking about doing the Halloween Party, we haven't tried it and it looks fun!!

2. # ADS

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

I'd definitely go in October over 'summer' because the weather will be nicer. Warm but not so hot that you are miserable. Yeah the parks will be a bit busy on that Sunday but they will be 'nice' during the weekdays, summer they're that busy EVERY day. You could do the Trick or Treat party on that Tuesday, we've gone every year for the last 4 years and love it.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

I read your post three times and then I discovered why you should go in october. Your Parents!!!!! I don't think they would be happy campers spending hours at DCA with every 5 year old in the US standing around in DCA because Carsland is their FAV. And not to sound rude, but with your great knowledge of Disneyland it is kind of scary ( or perhaps insightful to how crowded it really will be!!!) that you would even think of testing the DCA crowds over the summer when you have a better option in Oct.

I have been in October on a weekend when it is Arizona's school break and Gay Days at the same time. We only got to ride 6 rides that day (It was on October 3, 2009) Yes, Carsland will be crazy busy in the summer, But given you are going during Arizona's break and Gay Days, it may be equally busy. Just a thought...

Siggy aka Jill

I haven't been to Disneyland in the summer in years and years I know its busy but don't remember how busy) but I have never been in the beginning of October and with fall breaks with schools and Gay Days I don't want it to be insanely crazy where the kids are miserable. With the summer, I know they are open late so I thought maybe we could take breaks, naps but I would prefer October if its not unbelivably busy. My parents are Disneyland fanatics, they love it and won't mind hanging out in Carsland for hours. They are big kids themselves. Thanks MammaSilva, I think we will probably go in October because I think the Trick or Treat party could be a blast and it being on a Tuesday would be perfect!! MammaSilva- have you gone that first week in October? thanks SigalTchelet, it is a good thought.... that is why I wondered what would be better.

The better choice of my words wouldn't be "rude" but to show "respect" for your knowledge (which by your second post demostrates that you are indeed a prepared guest when you visit the park) But what still bothers me, is that a A+ seasoned guest like yourself would think about judging the two choices. The summer choice is venturing with others who are also in a hurry to see carsland, summer has more rookie visitors to the resort who have no clue how to visit the park and a summer that would have had high attendance even without Carsland. I bring this up for further discussion, because at this point in the discussion 132 views have happened on the worthwile post you have posted. So it is no longer about how you will decide but what others and lurkers are also thinking about the summer time/fall visit. My question and hopefully when all is said and done a couple days or weeks from now that you will share why a seasoned guest like yourself would venture into the unknown Summer attendance when expectations are for a record breaking summer and when some here on MP are tossing around the idea of a regulated attendance in Carsland

Quote Originally Posted by curtsinore View Post
    The better choice of my words wouldn't be "rude" but to show "respect" for your knowledge (which by your second post demostrates that you are indeed a prepared guest when you visit the park) But what still bothers me, is that a A+ seasoned guest like yourself would think about judging the two choices. The summer choice is venturing with others who are also in a hurry to see carsland, summer has more rookie visitors to the resort who have no clue how to visit the park and a summer that would have had high attendance even without Carsland. I bring this up for further discussion, because at this point in the discussion 132 views have happened on the worthwile post you have posted. So it is no longer about how you will decide but what others and lurkers are also thinking about the summer time/fall visit. My question and hopefully when all is said and done a couple days or weeks from now that you will share why a seasoned guest like yourself would venture into the unknown Summer attendance when expectations are for a record breaking summer and when some here on MP are tossing around the idea of a regulated attendance in Carsland
    I see what you are saying now. I have not seen the comments about regualted attendance at CarsLand, that would stink!! I just threw the idea of summer out there because it is difficult for my husband to take time off and summer might have had to be an option. Plus I try not to have the kids miss school and me (I'm a teacher) but of course that means going when the attendance is much higher. I just don't want the first experience of CarsLand to be bad, I know it will be crowded no matter what but I am trying to determine if there will be a difference betweeen October and summer and it appears that the answer is yes you idiot!! (that idiot being me) I know it seems obvious but I want to make sure. So I think October but I don't want it to be overwhelmingly busy but going later in the year may not be an option....Plus my son is seriously dying to go (and so are we).

I get you are anxious to go. And having only a few days in the park, longer hours are enticing. Yes summer will be more crowded than October, but you loose out on long hours and nightly entertainment. If you went in October on the dates you listed, Sunday would be your only option to see fireworks and Fantasmic!

If summer works better for you, I'd suggest going as late in the summer as you can...but prior to the SoCal APs coming back which is around Aug 20.

I say October. Even though the daylight hours are shorter, it is cooler during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    I have been in October on a weekend when it is Arizona's school break and Gay Days at the same time. We only got to ride 6 rides that day (It was on October 3, 2009) Yes, Carsland will be crazy busy in the summer, But given you are going during Arizona's break and Gay Days, it may be equally busy. Just a thought...

From what I gather fall break for Arizona is going to be about the October 10th and onward. The Utah break is also later in the month something like the 18th of October. Gay Days is the only notable 'busy' event I think around the time you are planning on going.

If you click here: http://www.azed.gov/search-results/?q=fall%20break

and open the excel spreadsheet which is the first option available it lists all the School Closures throughout the year... very handy!

Quote Originally Posted by sweethannah View Post
    From what I gather fall break for Arizona is going to be about the October 10th and onward. The Utah break is also later in the month something like the 18th of October. Gay Days is the only notable 'busy' event I think around the time you are planning on going.

and open the excel spreadsheet which is the first option available it lists all the School Closures throughout the year... very handy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmclubhouse mommy View Post
    I chose these dates because the kids (DS and DD (6)) and I have them off for fall break and then I don't miss work and they don't miss school.
    The OP said she was a teacher in Arizona and that she was off that week. That is why I assumed it would be busy.
    Siggy aka Jill

Quote Originally Posted by sweethannah View Post

That spreadsheet is for the 2011-2012 school year- so the fall break dates are for 2011, which was last year.

A few years ago I went in the middle of July and had a BLAST. It really was not too crowded... and it was a Saturday. Then I went again on a Sunday I belive in October and it was HECTIC. The last few years with all the Halloween hype has really added to the October crowds. But of course with all that's going on at DCA I'm sure crowds will be plenty busy this summer. Maybe even a tie with October crowds. If this was me, I would base it on what I wanted out of the trip. If I wanted lots of shows and warm long days, I would go in the summer (late summer). But if I wanted the Halloweentime experience, I would go in October. Wait... no... if I could have it my way I would go BOTH times!! LOL

The Chandler school district has the 1-16 off and the districts around us have the 8-15 off. I'm assuming you have the later off because of the days you want to go. We have never been during fall break but have many friends and family that have and they all tell us how crazy busy it was. If it was the first week of Chandler's break I would say it wouldn't be that bad but with it being the majority of the school districts having it off I would say it will be busy. But with Carsland opening I think it will be just as crazy in the summer, unless you go at a time when most of the APs are blocked out. You also have just as much of a chance of it being hot in Oct. The weather in SoCal can be anything at anytime of the year. I would just say that you need to prepare yourselves that it will be crowded. If you go thinking it won't be then you'll be miserable. But if you go with the attitude that you may not get to do everything and you'll have to wait in long lines then you won't be caught off guard and you'll enjoy it more, at least that's how I am. I would say to pick based on what works best with your schedules but I think I would pick summer.

I'm planning on going in July, simply because it works out for our schedule (I have a business trip, then one child is going to camp in SoCal). Generally, though, I try to avoid summer because it is 1) crowded and 2) hot, which tends to make me cranky. I think this summer, because of Carsland, it is going to be extremely busy at Disneyland resort.

If I had my choice, I'd go in October because it's not as hot and it's not as crowded AND the Halloween decorations are up. And I like the Halloween decorations tremendously.

One thing that hasn't yet been mentioned in this discussion is the LA Unified School District calendar, which I always check before I go to the parks. If LAUSD is out, there's a noticeable bump in attendance at the parks.

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Thanks for all the thoughts and tips. I played the Coca Cola Kroger Carsland contest and ended up winning a Vacation Package to Disneyland!! I just overnighted my form yesterday and we will wait for official word on my winning!! They said they will send out an email when they have verified my info and form. I am not sure what kind of restrictions will accompany the trip but we might be required to go in the summer for the CarsLand opening or it might be a window of time we get to use the tickets?? Don't know!! Just excited to get a vacation to Disneyland!!!!

Summer or Oct Trip???

Congrats!!

So here is what I am thinking now.... My mom has to have knee surgery at the end of this month so summer is out because she couldn't go so October is going to have to be the dates.....Since we won the contest (can't wait to get it) I am thinking adding another day on to our trip so we get more time at DL and DCA and can take our time and do more if it is really crowded. Plus I really would to do the Trick or Treat Party with the kids, I think it would be so fun for them and me!! So if it is really busy or not we will have fun no matter what! Now to wait and see what hotel we get to stay at with our prize and what hotel to add on for a longer stay....Hmmm.....