Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: How's Your Training Going?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How's Your Training Going?

Seems like we need a general training thread for people to check in about their training for non-Disney races, and other long-range training. Check in here and let us know how your miles are going!

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar

Last long run before the Avenue half was yesterday. 12 (and a bit) under scorching sun through the hills in Wilder Ranch State Park and along the cliffs near Natural Bridges State Beach in Santa Cruz.

They said this course was harder than the Avenue, and I finished this (though my time sucked).

--
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is this your first half, Andrew? I'm sure you'll do great -- GO TEAM!!!

I'm slowly trying to get back into regular walking -- did 4 miles today and felt pretty good.

My water drinking was REALLY odd, though - first 2 miles, about 12 oz, next mile 24 oz (so twice as much in half the distance/time) and then about 16 oz the last mile. It was cool (70 when I was done) and windy, especially the first mile, plus I wasn't warmed up, so maybe that's why. The screwy hydration needs made me glad I'd chosen to walk at the park I did -- they have a 2 mile loop around the outside of hte park, so I go buy my car every 2 miles, plus there are water fountains at least every 1/2 mile, so lots of opportunity to refill my bottle. There are times I'd rather walk either the lake or river levees - but they have NO shade, and no water fountains, and I just don't want to carry more than 24 oz at a time!

Cathy

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm at a standstill. Two weeks ago, during my 10 mile run, I had a major flare up of plantar fasciitis. This was a first for me. So, I've been sidelined, more or less. I've been sleeping with a Straussburg sock, icing on a frozen gatorade bottle and stretching. Yesterday I bought KT tape and taped up. The tape feels GOOD! I did a conservative work out on Friday of 12 minutes on the elliptical and then 20 (or so) minutes on the treadmill. On the treadmill I did 90 seconds walking and 30 seconds of jogging. I felt great on the elliptical and OK after the treadmill. I did feel some tightness after my treadmill workout. I have the Diva half in two weeks.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Force is strong in this one

I've been on a business trip recently, and I haven't been on my bike for probably 10 days, which I need to get back on because that's my weakest event in a triathlon. I did take the opportunity to run ~ 3miles with co workers a couple of days, so I wasn't completely couch-potatoing, but I need to get back on the bike.

Doesn't help that I'm in the middle of moving too.

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Fairest - I hope the TLC you're giving your feet will help get you through the Diva! Plantar fasciitis is tough.

We had our last TNT track session before the race tonight. Send-off is tomorrow and the race is Sunday. I feel pretty good about it.

My goals are: 1) finish, 2) finish uninjured, 3) 2:45 - that's a 12:35 pace, which is just about my average over the course of my training, discounting things like steep muddy hill climbs.

--
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

Blog Entries

Good luck on your first half marathon, Andrew!

My gear is packed for my trip up to the Bay Area for Diva! I don't have any workouts planned between now and then, so we'll just have to see how Sunday's race goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    We had our last TNT track session before the race tonight. Send-off is tomorrow and the race is Sunday. I feel pretty good about it.

My goals are: 1) finish, 2) finish uninjured, 3) 2:45 - that's a 12:35 pace, which is just about my average over the course of my training, discounting things like steep muddy hill climbs.
    Good luck! Stay strong and steady and before you know it, you'll be done faster than you had intended!

I've got 2 back to back weekends of long workouts. a 100 mile, hilly bike ride this weekend, followed by a marathon next weekend. I'm not really ready for a marathon distance again, but this will give me some practice in the slow shuffle to finish a race.
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Blog Entries

Travel day! Heading to the airport after I drop the boys off at school! I'm ready to Run Like A Diva!

Blog Entries

Have great races everyone!!!

Cathy

Well unfortunately, today really sucked. We (me and 2 of my friends) started out on our century ride at 8 AM or so, this after having to get up around 5:30 so we could get there on time. We knew there was a very good chance of rain, but I was prepared with my cycling jacket. The temps looked to stay in the 50-60 range even with the rain, so I only really had to worry about the rain and the slickness of the roads, not the temps.

Boy was I wrong. About 3 miles into the ride it started raining. I just thought, "Okay, this sucks, but I'll battle through it." Around mile 6, it started hailing. Now I'm thinking, "This REALLY sucks. We'll regroup at the first rest stop (at mile 17) and figure out what to do from there. All the while, I was hearing distant thunder. Then around mile 7, I saw lightening strike about a mile away from me. I had never actually seen lightening strike the ground before, and this pretty much freaked me out since I'm now riding a metal contraption and since I'm near fields, I'm basically the tallest thing around.

Near mile 8, and freaking out, I found a barn that a few cyclists had taken shelter under. They waved me in and we were there for about 10 mintues before the rain died down a little bit and we set back out. I think their decision was to finish the ride, so we took a shortcut and headed back to the starting location (at a nearby middle school). Along the way, the rain really picked up again. We stopped at someone's front door and hung out on the porch for a few more minutes before we headed back.

So disappointed that I only got about 15 miles of riding in, but happy that I didn't die.

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Good luck on your first half marathon, Andrew!
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    My gear is packed for my trip up to the Bay Area for Diva! I don't have any workouts planned between now and then, so we'll just have to see how Sunday's race goes.
    My TNT mentor is doing that one. Good luck to you too!
    --
    Andrew [

Blog Entries
    Good luck to you too!
    Thank you!

But you finished - congratulations!

Having completed my first half, I'm looking at how best to continue training and be ready for the Disneyland half in September and whatever come after that.

--
    Andrew [

Blog Entries

Congratulations for finishing!

My plantar fasciitis seems to be settling down. Elliptical workouts don't aggravate it so I'll keep doing those until my next race in three weeks.

Do any of you guys use workout tracking apps like RunKeeper or MapMyRun? I've found that it helps keep me motivated if I can see what friends are doing. I suppose the question isn't IF you use them, but WHICH ones you use? I'm TimL33 on MapMyRun.

I use runkeeper, but have been disappointed by its buggy gps tracking.

--
    Andrew [

I use runkeeper, but have been disappointed by its buggy gps tracking.
    MapMyRun had somewhat buggy GPS tracking as well, but it was explained to me that the phones will never be as good as an actual GPS device since it uses triangulation from towers instead of using the actual GPS satellite signal. Whether or not that is true, I don't know but it seems to make sense.

Blog Entries

I use runkeeper. I usually only have gps issues in places that I normally get poor cell reception. I just avoid running those areas if possible.

Blog Entries

I've been having way too much fun on jog.fm today. Specifically the walking section (they also have a cycling section). I did 4 miles yesterday, and mowed the lawn today, so I wasn't looking at doing much of an additional workout, so this was a good thing. Haven't got the 'master playlist' all set up, but I think I'm going to do a few with increasingly faster music, as I get my pace where it needs to be for the Wine & Dine.

Cathy

Blog Entries

Cathy- I keep teetering on whether or not to try jog.fm.

I was able to run 5 miles virtually pain free Friday. I had mild discomfort the last half but no pain. Other than that my PF seems to be settling down, thank goodness. My shorter workouts have still been on the elliptical. I have Ojai to Ocean Half Marathon the first weekend in June.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Hot and humid weather is no fun to run in. ...Back to the PT I go.
    You can say that first part again!! Fortunately, I'm on vacation in the one part of the country that is not having super hot weather, so I actually got 3 sessions in already this week. Actually, yesterday was an actual race, and I PR'd for a 5k, despite the 'rolling country hills' of the course. Granted it was my first timed 5k, and I thought I was going to die on the last uphill, but my sister and I were NOT last!!! (there were 2 people behind us) I kind of wish I'd been wearing my heart rate monitor so my sister would believe that I was just about ready to die, but I did keep going despite the huffing and puffing!!! My almost 16 year old soccer-playing nephew got third in his age group, and somewhere in the top 10 overall, and he was happy, since 'everyone else was actually a runner' that finished before him! He's decided he's not going out for cross country to keep in shape because it was too boring!

And I hope the PT helps, Steph!

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I have found a very strange concoction that works for my PF. Before bed, I take 1,000 mg of Fish Oil. When I missed a dose, my foot is very stiff in the morning. I also purchased Gold Bond Lotion for foot pain and I apply it before bed. And, I found a great foot strap called Strutz at our local drug store. I can walk barefoot and wear flip flops with this strap. It's wonderful!!! It was in the section of "As Seen on TV" and it was only $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Strutz-Sole-An...eywords=strutz

Stephanie

Started Half Ironman Racine this morning. I still have hamstring issues, so there was a decent chance that I'd drop out of the run after swimming and biking. Swimming went well. I haven't put much time in the pool but I still managed to swim close to my "normal" half ironman swim time. Probably because I"m more comfortable with the water. The bike course was flat, and even with the bad hammy, I managed to do all right as well. Once I got off the bike though, the outer part of my right foot started hurting whenever I put pressure on it. I went to the medical tent and we determined that it *might* be a stress fracture. Plus my back was quite stiff and it was pretty hot, so I decided to call it a day.

With less than 2 months to Ironman, I wasn't going to chance anything, but the foot is much better right now. It might have just been an inflamed tendon, not a stress fracture. I'm probably going to take it easy with all my other problems and then get one last build push before tapering for the race.