Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Levon Helm, singer and drummer for The Band, in final stages of cancer

Levon Helm, singer and drummer for The Band, in final stages of cancer

Levon Helm, singer and drummer for The Band, in final stages of cancer

By Randy Lewis / Los Angeles Times
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - Added 1 hour ago

LOS ANGELES -- The Band singer and drummer Levon Helm is in the final stages of cancer, according to a note posted on his website Tuesday by his wife, Sandy, and daughter, Amy.

"Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey," the note said. "Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration ... he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage."

At Saturdays Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cleveland, former Band guitarist and songwriter Robbie Robertson prefaced his induction speech for recording engineers Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd and Glyn Johns saying "We all need to send out love and prayers to my Band mate Levon Helm," but he did not elaborate.</snip>

----

I guess I am at that age where this happens. The Band's music was classic, and they backed up some of the biggest names in the industry.

Best wishes to Levon.

"I pulled into Nazerth, was feeling about half past dead
    I just need some place where I can rest my head*
    The Sarchasm -
    The gorge between my witty comment and you, who doesn't get it.

2. # ADS

This is sad news. I first knew him as an actor ("Coal Miner's Daughter" -- really good job as Loretta Lynn's father) and found out later about his music. What a talented man.

My first post to you in a long time is to agree with you 100%. I put them in the top three of all time and consider myself very lucking to have seen them 4 times.