Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Question about ECVs and DLR security

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Question about ECVs and DLR security

We're thinking of planning a trip to DLR which would include my 74 year old father who is very mobile and his wife who requires use of an ECV for long distances.

His question for me, and not having had ECV exprience before I don't know how to answer, is what is security like for someone with an ECV? He said they went through TSA recently and TSA had a coniption about a tear in the seat of ECV that had been reparied with duct tape. They thought something might have been hidden in the seat.

Can anyone who has gone through DLR security with an ECV tell me about their experience, how thorough are they? Do you have any tips or advice on how to make it a fairly quick and easy experience for my dad and his wife? I don't want dad worn out from stress or worrying about what it *might* be like and since he's her primary care-giver, I want it to be easy on him, too.

TIA.

Karin

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    Can anyone who has gone through DLR security with an ECV tell me about their experience, how thorough are they? Do you have any tips or advice on how to make it a fairly quick and easy experience for my dad and his wife? I don't want dad worn out from stress or worrying about what it *might* be like and since he's her primary care-giver, I want it to be easy on him, too.

TIA.
    Its VERY simply. Basically, it is just like you going through security. If she has a purse or bag, they need to look inside. They will look at the basket in the front, and if there is a bag on back, they will look in there if it looks like there is something there. I'm usually through bag check faster than my kids.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

Mals experience is the same as mine. The bag check folk glance at the platform to see if you have a cooler, but basically it's easier than if you were walking thru, open the bags, check the basket and back pouch and roll on thru.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

They are right-it is nothing like going through airport security. Airport security is so much more particular because of 9/11 and they want to make sure you are not trying to hide anything that could possibly be explosive. They even question the batteries in my motorized wheelchair. Disneyland is a breeze compared to airport security.

Siggy aka Jill

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

DITTO! Karin I'm sure you've already researched this--but are you just coming for the day or staying overnight? The reason I ask is whether you are renting an ECV from off-site or from Disney (or maybe she has her own?) Just remember if you rent from Disney you cannot take the ECV into Downtown Disney or to your hotel.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Thanks, Toocherie, I do remember that fact. They are bringing hers.

Karin