Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Disney Cruise Line to eliminate Palo High Tea

Interesting news today from from a friend at Disney Cruise Line. The Disney Cruise Line has decided to eliminate the Palo High Tea option on all four ships. The change will begin with the July 22 sailing of the Disney Dream, and will roll out to the Disney Magic starting with the August 10 sailing, and the Wonder and Fantasy starting with the August 13 sailings. The Disney Dream had already begun taking reservations for the first few sailings impacted by this change, and I'm not sure how DCL is handling that - if they're offering those people who booked High Tea a brunch instead, or if they're just cancelling the reservation. Bookings for the impacted sailings on the other three ships just opened today (Magic) or will begin tomorrow (Wonder, Fantasy).

I'm not at all surprised by the change. Brunch at Palo is definitely their most popular meal, even more so than dinner, and so eliminating the High Tea in favor of a longer brunch service makes so much sense.

Put it this way: Disney called some Platinum Castaway Club members a few weeks prior to the Disney Fantasy maiden voyage to ask if we were sure we didn't want to reserve dinner at Palo. The restaurant just wasn't full.

By comparison, BRUNCH had a three-page waiting list, and they actually added an extremely rare port day brunch to accommodate some of the demand. There were still folks who couldn't get a reservation.

I know some people LOVE Palo High Tea and will be upset by this, but I'm sure their complaints will be offset by the far greater number of people who will be thrilled by more opportunity to book a Palo brunch.

Adrienne

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

I've only got one Disney cruise under my belt, but I totally understand and agree with this change. We had two brunches, two high teas, and two dinners reserved (we were in the Roy suite, which probably helped). Our first Palo experience was a high tea, which was underwhelming to be generous. On our way out we cancelled the other high tea. As a comparison, EVERY DAY on Holland America they offer a complimentary tea and snack service which was the equal of this Palo experience, and once or twice a cruise they offer a complimentary high tea which puts the Palo tea to shame.

Our dinner was also disappointing, though not as bad as the tea. We did cancel the second dinner reservation, too. But brunch was wonderful, among the best we've had at sea or ashore, and we gladly enjoyed our second brunch reservation.

Rocket Scientist/Future Imagineer
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", Alan Kay
    Come join the Pleasure Island Lover's Club!

I know it makes sense due to its popularity, but personally, I preferred the tea to the brunch. Oh well...I'm sorry to see it go!

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com