Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Shopping Malls

Shopping Malls

Despite our three Disney trips since 2008 we have never ventured off Disney property apart from to visit Sea World, Discovery Cove or Universal. Next summer my 13 year old DS wants to go to a shopping mall. I have not gone to the USA to shop when I could be in a park so his dad will take him and DD and me will commando the MK! His is interested in clothes for teenagers, particularly trainers, music and games. Although, I don't know if US games for X Box or PS3 or CD's can be used on our consoles? Can anyone advise which would be the best mall for them to visit, how far it is from property and any thing else they should know about navigating the place?

Context - we are from the UK.

Thanks.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not sure on the shopping malls myself, as we tend to not shop outside of Disney, but a note about the video games. In the US, they are all in the NTSC format, which I believe are not going to be compatible if your TV's use the PAL/SECAM format.

CD's are pretty much universal - that should not be a problem.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a Nike Factory Store about 20 minutes away: 8200 Vineland Ave., Suite 600, Orlando, FL, 32821 - which is Orlando Premium Outlets Mall.

I've never been there, but it looks like there would be some stores there that fit his needs for clothing.

Cathy

Excellent thank you both. Nike outlet will keep him happy and I had a niggling thought there was an issue with games.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Scoobs - the video games definitely will not work, unfortunately. And there is an amazing Nike Outlet Store down the 192, towards the GIANT Wal-Mart, that sells trainers for around 25 a pair, and great clothing - joggers and hoodies for around 15 each, lots of other Nike clothing. It is all excellent quality, there is loads of choice, I think he will LOVE it there! What you need my friend is a map from www.orlandomaps.co.uk - they cost 7.40, are drawn up by a British cartographer, and show all the shopping malls, outlets etc. They are amazing! I have bought them for friends and family, and they are lightly coated so they don't rip (I don't have anything to do with the company, I just recommend them!).

Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

for a 13 year old boy the outlet mall is perfect. If Mom ever braves the real world in Orlando, go to mall at millenia.

Here's a good link that explains the various television formats -

http://www.xbreporter.com/xbox_pal_ntsc.php

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I have a 13 year old son and an 8 year old daughter who run miles each day. They both run on the school cross country team and do many long distance runs on their own. I follow on my bike as I can't keep up with them. I make special trip to the Nike store on 192 several times a year as the prices are really wonderful here. If I hit good sale I often find shoes here for half of what they would cost me locally.

All three of my children also like to buy sporty clothing and hoddies here as well.

Mily

Visiting WDW Since 1982

I would highly recommend Premium Outlet Mall @ 4951 International Dr. This is a very large mall with tons of selection. The only thing is, it is very popular and can get quite crowded on weekends. If you do go and the parking lots seem full, go to the very south end of te mall, past the last store. We've found that to be the last place to fell up.

Stan

Most definitely go to Mall at Millenia and Orlando Premium Outlets (International Drive) and Festival Bay Mall are right down the road. Mall at Millenia is on I-4 and Conroy Rd, very easy to get to from WDW property. Any of the front desks at the hotels will give you a map with directions if you have a rental car. Google maps says it's 14.7 miles (25 minutes) via I-4.

http://www.mallatmillenia.com
    http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=96
    http://www.shopfestivalbaymall.com

The shopping at Mall at Millenia is amazing, a lot of high end stores, but regular stores as well. If you go to all 3 it will take a full day. You should be able to get a listing of stores on the websites. I live in Florida and regularly shop at all 3 and I still get lost so I recommend getting the maps of the malls online and making a plan. Happy Shopping!

I ♥ ºoº
    WDW; 80, 84, 86, 88 (x2), 89, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 (x2), 98 (x2), 00, 02, 05 (x2), 06 (x2), 07 (x4), 08 (x3), 09 (x3), 10 (x3), 11 (x5), 12 (x3 so far!)

Hi Scooby,
    We never miss a visit to Premium Outlets - Vinelands Ave (http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=17) whenever we are visiting. It is very much like Bicester Village - a UK outlet - on steroids! In fact a lot of the shops are the same but bigger and much cheaper. Our girls particularly like Gap. Also there is the Character Outlet which is always worth a visit.
    There is a big food court in the middle which is where husband usually parks himself after he's given his wallet a brief bit of exercise! We usually don't spend more than a couple of hours there and make it out first port of call before Walmart and Marshall's. (If you do TKMaxx at home, you'll love Marshalls). As you can tell, I love to shop but spend plenty of time in the parks as well.
    Happy shopping !

PS3 games are in the ATSC format, and while some are labled as Blu-Ray region "A" (North America/Japan), they are reportedly all "region free." (It's just the games; movies are still region locked.) As long as you are playing them on an HD television via an HDMI cable, you should have no problem. Here's where it gets tricky: if you are planning to use any downloadable content (DLC) such as extra levels or characters from the PSN, you may not be able to do so from home with a game you purchase in the States. (Not sure why that is, just read of people having those issues.)

The article that Danyoung linked to applies to the PS2 and PS1 even when played on the PS3.

The Wii has the ability to play both, but due to piracy concerns has been region locked as well.

A quick google search says that Xbox 360 games are region locked. Sorry.

So now DS is getting specific in his demands! Do any of these malls have a vans shop or a Hollister? I'm hoping yes and that they're cheaper than in Birmingham (UK). That boy has worked my credit card hard today

There's one of each at The Mall at Millenia. There's also a Van's Outlet Store (carrying cheaper, typically discontinued products) off the I-4 just before you get to WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohthatjeff View Post
    There's one of each at The Mall at Millenia. There's also a Van's Outlet Store (carrying cheaper, typically discontinued products) off the I-4 just before you get to WDW.
    Thank you