Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have any of you taken the kiddies without your spouse?

Blog Entries

Have any of you taken the kiddies without your spouse?

We are on our 6th trip this fall, but have recently relocated to Seattle from Las Vegas, and with that in mind, my husband may not be able to make our annual tradition trip for 10 nights. He still wants me and our girls to go, and although I can't imagine him not being there, I can't imagine telling them that their not going.

Our girls are 5, extremely well behaved, and well traveled. The girls and I often go ahead to Disney World, Hawaii, etc, so traveling with them isn't an issue for me. I have considered other people to go with me, but that may not happen either. Just wanted some other opinions. We always go in September.

Thanks again.

Mikala

2. # ADS

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

YEP! Gone with one son in 6th grade and one son in 3rd grade. Went swimmingly. No problems whatsoever. In fact, it is the one vacation that I would go alone and not think a thing about it!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

I have. I've gone alone with my kids and I've gone with a girlfriend and her kids, no husbands, but I live a 2 hour drive away .

We also split up while there, Golf for him, Spa for me, etc.

I'm not sure I'd do 10 nights tho-- that seems like a long trip without him.

Jenn
    Who moved to SoFl to be closer to WDW

If you don't already know this, Alaska Airlines is the only airline that has non-stop flights between SeaTac and MCO. They have a 'low fare guarantee' - so if the price goes down, you can claim credits for use on future flights. (You may already have booked your flights - just giving you this info for future reference.)

I wouldn't hesitate for a second - take all the experiences that you can with your children - as you know, they really do grow up in a blink of an eye. (Although you might look at taking advantage of one of the kid's clubs in one of the deluxe resorts for 2 hours while you have a mid-vacation spa treatment).

“When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are your girls strong enough in the pool that they'd be ok without 1:1 parent attention?

Cathy

Is there someone who could come with you or meet you there? I'd go in a heartbeat without DH if my mother, MIL, sister, SIL or older niece came along. What if you offered to pay some expenses? Just having an extra set of hands would be my major concern (along with missing DH )

Yes, I've been doing it for years. I also did a DCL cruise with the three kids alone. We love our trips. Don't get me wrong we still do family trips but Dad's not into Disney as much so we often go alone and have for years. You'll be fine!

Mily

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

I've thought more about my original comments and I'm even more sure that it's ok. Both of my boys were on a 10 and 11 day trip, respectively. I did have issues with restrooms. They were too old to use a family restroom with me and I worried about them going alone. But you won't have that issue since they're girls. The other issue was the pool. I was doing laundry while he was swimming, so if I ran to the laundry (which was AT the pool), I made him get out of the pool and sit on the chair where I could see him from the laundry room. He'd stay there until I got back out there and then jumped back in. There were some accommodations to be made for sure, but we did it just fine. Seems to me, it would be even easier with two at the same age.....

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

I've never done it but wouldn't hesitate so long as your children are not unusually 'difficult'. I agree with Drince about the swimming issue though as that could be a challenge if they're not good in water. I would also slow down and build in additional rest. Given you know your way around though I think you're good to go

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

I've done trips without DH. Not for that long, but that's because 1) there are 4 of them and 2) money. I've done a day at DL with them by myself and wouldn't hesitate to do it again or even a whole trip.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the replies. Disney World is so special, and I will be going ahead with our plans. We asked the girls if they still wanted to go if daddy can't come, and of course they said yes. Ha, he felt like chopped liver.

We're thinking that we'll go ahead with the 10 days, and he'll come for 4 nights, although he wishes it was longer, and we're gonna save his favorite things for the days he's with us like Blizzard Beach and Epcot.

I am very spoiled with at least 2-10 night trips and lots of long weekends, never really without him for long, so here we go....planning, planning.

Mikala

Blog Entries
    Mine are the ones that adults with no kids wanna sit next to on the plane. They will be awesome as always.
    Mikala

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaMouse View Post
    YEP! Gone with one son in 6th grade and one son in 3rd grade. Went swimmingly. No problems whatsoever. In fact, it is the one vacation that I would go alone and not think a thing about it!
    Love it!
    Mikala

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by momof three View Post
    Yes, I've been doing it for years. I also did a DCL cruise with the three kids alone. We love our trips. Don't get me wrong we still do family trips but Dad's not into Disney as much so we often go alone and have for years. You'll be fine!

Mily
    That's wonderful Mily. We seem to extend the start time ahead of my husband and we roll together just fine, maybe not as good as its been if they were naughty lil children.
    Mikala

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MMlover View Post
    Is there someone who could come with you or meet you there? I'd go in a heartbeat without DH if my mother, MIL, sister, SIL or older niece came along. What if you offered to pay some expenses? Just having an extra set of hands would be my major concern (along with missing DH )
    Unfortunately, my sister will be recovering from surgery, my mom will just have come to Seattle to sit with the girls from two weeks prior so we can go to a Vegas wedding, step mom is in the school district, and we only know September. : /
    Mikala

Blog Entries

As a single mom to 4, I did it all the time. If we wanted to travel, it was the only way.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    As a single mom to 4, I did it all the time. If we wanted to travel, it was the only way.
    That's awesome that it didn't restrict your plans and desire to travel with your children.
    Mikala

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    And we're still mildly normal! LOL.

(I'm Malc's daughter.)
    You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

I do it all of the time...from when the kids were 6 weeks old and 20 months. I am going to take them in June while DH is on a business trip and spend a few days there. Best of both for us...the kids and I love Disney, but DH not so much.

I am widowed mom of three and I've taken the kids to Disneyland 4 times and Disney World twice in the year and a half that my dearest husband has been gone. The first time we went to Disney World, my kids were 11, 10, and 6, I thought I needed another adult and brought along my sister but, as it turns out, I would have been fine by myself.

We would love to take a Disney cruise but am wondering how much fun I will have by myself while the kids are enjoying themselves in whatever activities the cruise has to offer. Or should I just bite the bullet and ask my sister to come along? However, it's kind of nice to able to stay in a room just for four (if you families of five know what I mean!). Will I be alright by myself?

Widowed Mom to 3 (DS17)(DS15)(DD12)

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, if the kids are off enjoying their activities, you'll be able to visit the adult-only sections of the ship without worry! I think you should do it! Granted, I have done a cruise solo - but you'll not be the 'fifth wheel' at a dinner seating, and the kids will want to see the shows and stuff with you. And really, will all the kids want to be off doing their things all the time - or will one or the other want to hang with you some. Especially if you plan some excursions you all want to do together.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by gloria View Post
    I am widowed mom of three and I've taken the kids to Disneyland 4 times and Disney World twice in the year and a half that my dearest husband has been gone. The first time we went to Disney World, my kids were 11, 10, and 6, I thought I needed another adult and brought along my sister but, as it turns out, I would have been fine by myself.

We would love to take a Disney cruise but am wondering how much fun I will have by myself while the kids are enjoying themselves in whatever activities the cruise has to offer. Or should I just bite the bullet and ask my sister to come along? However, it's kind of nice to able to stay in a room just for four (if you families of five know what I mean!). Will I be alright by myself?
    First, my sympathies on the loss of your husband...I am very sorry you lost him.

But to your question...

Your kids are at a good age to be reasonably responsible, and if you've had good experiences traveling with them, you could easily manage the cruise without another adult. Actually, it's probably easier than a theme park! They will have plenty of things to do, you will have plenty of things to do, and you will all enjoy doing things together! They'll have a level of independence on the ship that doesn't translate to land.

I have three kids at home, so I often have the situation of needing either two staterooms or having the family stateroom that accommodates five when we cruise. You'll have more flexibility and a better price for four, that's for sure.
    Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Quote Originally Posted by gloria View Post

Just do it! I was worried about alone time as well. Best trip I have ever made alone with my children! For the 1st time in forever I had me time. I was able to go to the spa, read, relax and get this I even had a nap one afternoon. I don't think that has happened since 1998 when the 1st one was born and I know it has not happened since!

We had lots of time together as well shows, dinners, swimming, the beach, mini golf the list goes on and on. Really, this was without a doubt the best trip alone with children I've ever done. My 3 children will tell you they loved it as well. I have also gone with my Mom in tow and we had a great time but honestly it does add a great deal to the price of the cruise to have that 5th person. I love my Mom but if I did this again I would go alone with the children... I'm doing a road trip to Michigan from Florida this summer and I'm begging Mom to help me on that one!

Mily
    Last edited by Drince88; 04-20-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: fixed code

Thank you ladies for your input because I just booked a cruise for June of 2013 aboard the Disney Fantasy! I am so excited! I have been dreaming about taking a Disney cruise for such a long time. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Widowed Mom to 3 (DS17)(DS15)(DD12)

I'm taking inspiration from this thread and thinking about taking the kids next spring while DH goes on his annual visit to his buddy in Georgia. My 2 older ones are old enough to ride alone/together and my 2 little ones will be at least 40" if not both 42". The only rides I'll miss out on are Screamin' and Indy, but the big girls won't have to miss out on them.