Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Have any of you taken the kiddies without your spouse?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Have any of you taken the kiddies without your spouse?

We are on our 6th trip this fall, but have recently relocated to Seattle from Las Vegas, and with that in mind, my husband may not be able to make our annual tradition trip for 10 nights. He still wants me and our girls to go, and although I can't imagine him not being there, I can't imagine telling them that their not going.

Our girls are 5, extremely well behaved, and well traveled. The girls and I often go ahead to Disney World, Hawaii, etc, so traveling with them isn't an issue for me. I have considered other people to go with me, but that may not happen either. Just wanted some other opinions. We always go in September.

Thanks again.

Mikala

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

YEP! Gone with one son in 6th grade and one son in 3rd grade. Went swimmingly. No problems whatsoever. In fact, it is the one vacation that I would go alone and not think a thing about it!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

I have. I've gone alone with my kids and I've gone with a girlfriend and her kids, no husbands, but I live a 2 hour drive away .

We also split up while there, Golf for him, Spa for me, etc.

I'm not sure I'd do 10 nights tho-- that seems like a long trip without him.

Jenn
    Who moved to SoFl to be closer to WDW

If you don't already know this, Alaska Airlines is the only airline that has non-stop flights between SeaTac and MCO. They have a 'low fare guarantee' - so if the price goes down, you can claim credits for use on future flights. (You may already have booked your flights - just giving you this info for future reference.)

I wouldn't hesitate for a second - take all the experiences that you can with your children - as you know, they really do grow up in a blink of an eye. (Although you might look at taking advantage of one of the kid's clubs in one of the deluxe resorts for 2 hours while you have a mid-vacation spa treatment).

“When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are your girls strong enough in the pool that they'd be ok without 1:1 parent attention?

Cathy

Is there someone who could come with you or meet you there? I'd go in a heartbeat without DH if my mother, MIL, sister, SIL or older niece came along. What if you offered to pay some expenses? Just having an extra set of hands would be my major concern (along with missing DH )

Yes, I've been doing it for years. I also did a DCL cruise with the three kids alone. We love our trips. Don't get me wrong we still do family trips but Dad's not into Disney as much so we often go alone and have for years. You'll be fine!

Mily

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MMlover View Post
    Is there someone who could come with you or meet you there? I'd go in a heartbeat without DH if my mother, MIL, sister, SIL or older niece came along. What if you offered to pay some expenses? Just having an extra set of hands would be my major concern (along with missing DH )
    Unfortunately, my sister will be recovering from surgery, my mom will just have come to Seattle to sit with the girls from two weeks prior so we can go to a Vegas wedding, step mom is in the school district, and we only know September. : /
    Mikala

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaMouse View Post
    YEP! Gone with one son in 6th grade and one son in 3rd grade. Went swimmingly. No problems whatsoever. In fact, it is the one vacation that I would go alone and not think a thing about it!
    Love it!
    Mikala

I've never done it but wouldn't hesitate so long as your children are not unusually 'difficult'. I agree with Drince about the swimming issue though as that could be a challenge if they're not good in water. I would also slow down and build in additional rest. Given you know your way around though I think you're good to go

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Blog Entries
    Mine are the ones that adults with no kids wanna sit next to on the plane. They will be awesome as always.
    Mikala

I've done trips without DH. Not for that long, but that's because 1) there are 4 of them and 2) money. I've done a day at DL with them by myself and wouldn't hesitate to do it again or even a whole trip.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the replies. Disney World is so special, and I will be going ahead with our plans. We asked the girls if they still wanted to go if daddy can't come, and of course they said yes. Ha, he felt like chopped liver.

We're thinking that we'll go ahead with the 10 days, and he'll come for 4 nights, although he wishes it was longer, and we're gonna save his favorite things for the days he's with us like Blizzard Beach and Epcot.

I am very spoiled with at least 2-10 night trips and lots of long weekends, never really without him for long, so here we go....planning, planning.

Mikala

I'm taking inspiration from this thread and thinking about taking the kids next spring while DH goes on his annual visit to his buddy in Georgia. My 2 older ones are old enough to ride alone/together and my 2 little ones will be at least 40" if not both 42". The only rides I'll miss out on are Screamin' and Indy, but the big girls won't have to miss out on them.

Blog Entries

This past November was my first trip with my son, alone. He's 7 (almost 8) and he did great! Really, he kept ME in line - LOL! It was nice that he could push his own luggage, do security without any issues, etc. Experienced traveler, that one! We had a WONDERFUL time at Disneyland and DCA, just the two of us. We missed my husband and wished he could have been there to experience Star Tours and Lucas' first time doing Jedi Academy with us, but he'll get to go with us in July - its all good! My son really was a God-send when it came to the return shuttle issue we had getting back to John Wayne. He kept me calm and said "what's the worse that can happen? We're stuck at DISNEYLAND? What a bummer!" LOL! Good point, kiddo! We're a good team. I think any trip where I didn't have to drive and could just roam around a resort area (like DLR and WDW) would work great for the two of us. I feel safe and able to get from here to there without much drama. I like our adventures together - it's fun!

WDW June 1990-Buena Vista Palace, DL Aug 2001-Pasadena House, DL June 2006-Paradise Pier, DL June 2007-Paradise Pier, WDW Dec 2008-Royal Plaza, DL Nov 2011-Best Western Courtesy Inn, DL July 2012-Best Western Plus Stovall's Inn, DL May 2013-Holiday Inn on Walnut, PENDING DL Aug 2013 D23 Expo-Best Western Raffels

Blog Entries

I know it's not the same as going across the country -- but I now have a tradition of taking my daughter to DLR for three days/two nights the week before school starts. It's our "Annual Mommy/Daughter Adventure." Started when she was 6 & now she's 8 ... and we have reservations for August. I love our Mommy/Daughter days at the parks. Most of the focus is on her & what she wants to do on these trips - but she's very thoughtful & agrees to do some stuff Mommy really wants to do, too. We're both night owls, which works really well for doing late-night rides of crowded attractions.

Team Happy Place - Winners Spring 2009 MouseAdventure: Trains, Trams & Monorails
    Would rather be looking at the back side of water...
    Everything in life is only for now.
    Nope - it never ends.

Was mommyTo2Boys

I have taken each of our older 3 on 1 on 1 trips, but not all 4 alone yet. Little guy is just turned 2 so I might try it next spring when he is almost 3.

Formerly MommyTo2Boys1Girl
    Lori, Mommy to 4 Disney kids, Disneyland fanatic, annual pass holder

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    I'm taking inspiration from this thread and thinking about taking the kids next spring while DH goes on his annual visit to his buddy in Georgia. My 2 older ones are old enough to ride alone/together and my 2 little ones will be at least 40" if not both 42". The only rides I'll miss out on are Screamin' and Indy, but the big girls won't have to miss out on them.
    Could you do a child swap, maybe?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post
    Could you do a child swap, maybe?
    We aren't getting APs, so this trip isn't happening. But no we couldn't because I'd need a second person over 14 (need to be 14 to be responsible to wait with a non-rider for swap purposes). I could (but wouldn't) leave them with my oldest and use single rider or FP.