Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Single Mom of Twin Toddlers - On My Own

Single Mom of Twin Toddlers - On My Own

It looks like I will be on my own for this trip if I still want to go... My boys are 2.5 and I want to take them before they turn 3. That means I have from now until Jan 20th. I can't swing the trip after their bday because of the extra ticket cost. I was thinking the week of October 22nd - 26th or November 5th to 9th. I am leaning more towards Oct since we could possibly do the Halloween party. They are pretty tall so they should be able to do a lot of rides but I wonder what rides will not work with me and the 2 of them in one ride vehicle. I am plus size and it isn't like either one of them can ride alone.

Tips ? Suggestions ? Info ?

I know you guys can help.

We will be coming into town on Monday from Flagstaff, AZ.
    Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday will be park days.
    Friday morning will be a character breakfast and then going home.

We also have extra dining coupons to use for character meals, etc. Are there characters meals for lunch and dinner ? I have only done breakfast. I would love to do a cool meal on Monday afternoon/evening when we get into town.

Thanks in advance,

~CourtneyAnne~ Single MOM to Twins and MUCH MORE
    Trips to DL~9/06~2/07~6/07~10/07~New Year's 2008~11/8/08~2/08~2/09~10/12~

2. # ADS

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

With the twins being 2.5 there are a LOT of things you can do together even for a plus size mom. Just a short list...any of the boat rides, small world, storybook, pirates if they're brave enough, the Mark twain...I'd skip the canoes. Most of Fantasyland will accommodate the 3 of you, the casey Jr train, dumbo, the carousel, I'd skip snow white and the other dark rides simply due to the fear factor. Toon town is very interactive and wandering thru Mickeys house would be a blast for them. There's always the big train, all the Main street vehicles, the petting zoo at Big thunder. Over in DCA there is bugs land with several options. In Carsland you all 3 would fit on Luigis tires. I don't know if I would do Mater just because it spins and you would be fighting to not squish one of them (coming from a plus sized mom here) but you still have Ariels and Mike and sulleys attractions. I'd totally go for it!

As for the meals, since they are under 3 they eat free at buffetts, like Goofys or Miss Minnies. If you have extra dining coupons I'd do Goofys for dinner then do Miss Minnies for a breakfast. Other people have done the Surfs up breakfast at the paradise Pier and have had awesome interaction with Mickey and Minnie and stitch so that's always another option.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If they're little adrenalin junkies-in-training - you might be able to do Big Thunder Mt (I know at least one of my nephews was tall enough at that age, and liked it!) Not sure if you'd all three fit in one row, and even if you did, it's a single lap bar, so they'd be catching more air than Mom may like because the bar is going to stop for you. But if you think they'd be ok - you could sit in the row right behind them - then they're really not riding alone. I'd definitely try them on Gadget's first -- but I don't do that one, so not sure if you're going to be 'close' enough if you're right behind them. And now that I think about it, my brother and I did ride with the nephew the second time he went (my sister in law sat out). I wasn't as big as I am now, but I was average weight for my 5'10", as was my brother at 6'4" -- and the two of us did fit in one vehicle with that nephew in between (he's now 6'6" - I don't think we could do that trick now!!)

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    If they're little adrenalin junkies-in-training - you might be able to do Big Thunder Mt (I know at least one of my nephews was tall enough at that age, and liked it!) Not sure if you'd all three fit in one row, and even if you did, it's a single lap bar, so they'd be catching more air than Mom may like because the bar is going to stop for you. But if you think they'd be ok - you could sit in the row right behind them - then they're really not riding alone. I'd definitely try them on Gadget's first -- but I don't do that one, so not sure if you're going to be 'close' enough if you're right behind them. And now that I think about it, my brother and I did ride with the nephew the second time he went (my sister in law sat out). I wasn't as big as I am now, but I was average weight for my 5'10", as was my brother at 6'4" -- and the two of us did fit in one vehicle with that nephew in between (he's now 6'6" - I don't think we could do that trick now!!)
    Just agreeing with being able to ride Big Thunder- I rode recently with 3, all of us short, but definitely adult sized people. I would only be concerned, like MammaSilva said, about squishing one of your boys around the turns. There's definitely a lot of sliding that happens.

You won't be able to do Gadget's or Space because they can't ride alone (I don't think they can sit together with you behind them) and 3 people cannot sit together on those rides. Three people can do Thunder if your twins are willing. We love all of the Fantasyland rides; if your kids aren't the scaredy kind, I wouldn't count them out. But you know best. 40" is the height to be for Thunder, Splash, Star Tours, and the new Racers. They could also do TOT at that height, but I think that rides a bit intense for little bodies. It is too bad you won't have help anymore, but you should still go. You'll all have a blast, and you'll have lots of happy memories (and snapshots) to take home with you.

Pictures. Don't forget to hand your own camera to photopass people as well as their cameras. We have had cast members take photos, as well as watch for a friendly face, lots of people are more than willing to take a group shot of you guys, in turn taking one for them. Some may even offer when they see you taking a photo of the boys on your own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Some may even offer when they see you taking a photo of the boys on your own.
    We do this frequently. I usually volunteer Youngest. Last trip we were at Club 33, and there was a table of 4 that it was obviously their first trip. They kept taking pics of 3 of the 4, so Youngest went over and took pics of the 4 of them. Just look around for a friendly face and ask nicely, and people will do it.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

I always have my eyes open as well. Last May we were crossing over and there was a couple doing the "self-portrait" thing in front of the big celebrate sign.
    We find this to be true even at Universal Studios, and even on the streets of Manhatten. Whistler was taking a photo of us in front of Radio City hen a gentleman paused and offered. It was a great photo.

Thanks everybody !! I am getting so excited for this trip and then I got a big surprise earlier tonight. I called my ex-husband so the boys could wish him a Happy Birthday (tomorrow). We got to talking and he asked me how plans for the trip were coming. I told him I wanted to change it to the week of 10-22 because of the Halloween party but that my friend was no longer joining us. He said he did want to come with and was going to see if we could meet in LA. However, he is now going to fly into PHX, get a rental car and drive to FLG to get us and then road trip to SoCal for the week. He said if we are going to do a Disney trip for the boys we should DO IT !!! I booked our vacation through Get Away Today and got the 4th night free on a room plus the cheaper 3 day tickets. We have 92 days !!!!

I have some questions but I will move those back to the trip planning thread I see this post got moved. Thanks again - you guys are great.

~CourtneyAnne~ Single MOM to Twins and MUCH MORE
    Trips to DL~9/06~2/07~6/07~10/07~New Year's 2008~11/8/08~2/08~2/09~10/12~