Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Kids' first trip and ride videos

Kids' first trip and ride videos

Ok I was on YouTube last night and was watching full ride videos other than making me want my trip to get here faster it made me think would this be a good way to get my kids who this trip is going to be there first trip to the place where they are ready for the trip or should I let it all be a surprise I am kind of half and half on it

2. # ADS

I think this will depend on your kids. When I was younger, I would get frustrated when my parents told me too much about where we were going, because I liked to experience things in my own way. Actually, I still get frustrated when they do that. I had a cousin on the other hand, who needed to have lots of questions answered before he would try anything.

Another option might be to show them the movies the attractions are based on. I bought Pinocchio and Dumbo story books for the kids I babysit for, so they would know those characters and be familiar with the story when they went on the rides. But I think kids will enjoy rides even if they don't know the story of every ride. I remember when I was a lot younger going on Disney-style dark rides at other parks and carnivals, and they weren't always great, but even without licensed characters I still remember enjoying them.

how old are the children, i forgot where you posted that info awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I think this will depend on your kids...
    This! If your kids tend to be fearful about new situations or about being in the dark, then it might be helpful to ease them into the idea of the rides and give them opportunities to ask questions and to discuss the rides and any fears about them. (A friend of ours recently took his young daughter on her first trip to DL -- she did great until they got on Nemo -- he knew she loved Nemo but had no idea she was terrified of the subs -- in this case, watching the videos would have helped a lot.)
    On the other hand, if your kids are adventurous and like surprises, then you might want to let them discover the rides for themselves. Our nephews lean toward the fearful side, so we did lots of prep for each trip until they were old enough to be more adventurous. This is very true for little ones, but even older kids can be shy about new places and lots of discussion can be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by curtsinore View Post
    how old are the children, i forgot where you posted that info awhile back.
    When we go they will be just shy of 4 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    This! If your kids tend to be fearful about new situations or about being in the dark, then it might be helpful to ease them into the idea of the rides and give them opportunities to ask questions and to discuss the rides and any fears about them. (A friend of ours recently took his young daughter on her first trip to DL -- she did great until they got on Nemo -- he knew she loved Nemo but had no idea she was terrified of the subs -- in this case, watching the videos would have helped a lot.)
    On the other hand, if your kids are adventurous and like surprises, then you might want to let them discover the rides for themselves. Our nephews lean toward the fearful side, so we did lots of prep for each trip until they were old enough to be more adventurous. This is very true for little ones, but even older kids can be shy about new places and lots of discussion can be helpful.
    This.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

The surprise could very well be your reaction to what the children really want to do. My 5 year old in 2000 was not afraid of anything, jumping out of trees, climbing rock cliffs and holding wild snakes. But he was extremely fearful of dark rides much to my own dismay. Where did we spend our time, Tom Swayers Island before the lawyers arrived, Goofy's bounce house before the lawyers arrived and round and round on Autopia and the train. My wife and I had to sechdule time for ourselves to enjoy the E-attractions while the other adult follwed our son on his own fun agenda.

My opinion here is that it depends not only on the kids but on you and how you want to tackle the parks. Me, I like to wrestle DL/DCA to the ground. I'm all for showing ride videos to see what the kids want to do - I like to plan visits and if I don't know the kids are going to refuse HM or love SM my schedule would be toast. If you just want to wander around and do what you do, then it isn't as important and you can treat each ride as a surprise and each show as a joy (we do this at Six Flags DK in Vallejo).

As young as your kids are, they will follow your lead for the approach overall, and you'll end up following THEIR lead for what they like and don't like once you figure that out, but the overall approach is still up to you.

Even if you show them the videos they are no where near the real thing. Like others have said what are they afraid of? The dark? You might want to show them the dark rides so they know what to expect, it will still be a whole other experience once on the ride itself.
    A was 4 1/2 on our first trip and went along on anything she was big enough for. At 5 1/2, part way through the trip, she would not ride Splash Mountain anymore. Looking back after the trip, she was in the front seat a few times. On our first trip we were seven (mil along) so they put A in the back of the log next to me. That drop got bigger and bigger in her head before our next trip even, but I made her a deal she could sit next to me in the back and I would hold her. She only moved to her own seat last year at 9.
    So, you know your kids, but you might even be surprised by what frightens them in this whole new giant environment, a little fore knowledge can make a huge difference.

Just to reiterate candles comments: My oldest rode everything she could at age 4. Rode Splash 5 times. But half way through the trip she decided she was afraid of characters (at Goofys Kitchen for her bday no less!). Being over tired was the culprit, so pacing yourselves and don't push any limits while they are hungry or tired is key.