Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Marvel characters

Marvel characters

This may not be the thread to post this on, so feel free to move I see that Marvel characters are part of Disney merchandise - question, are the characters themselves even seen at Disney parks? My boys are very into the Super Heroes right now, and I'm wondering if we may come across them when we visit this Fall. Thanks for any insight.

2. # ADS

I don't believe they've started integrating Marvel characters into the parks yet, outside of merchandise.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

It also comes down to licensing issues that Universal has right now for the characters. Interesting sidenote: even though Captain Jack Sparrow & the Pirates film came from Disney. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer has the character rights, so Disney Parks would have to pay him to bring good o'l Capt. Jack back.

Quote Originally Posted by oregontraveler View Post
    It also comes down to licensing issues that Universal has right now for the characters. Interesting sidenote: even though Captain Jack Sparrow & the Pirates film came from Disney. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer has the character rights, so Disney Parks would have to pay him to bring good o'l Capt. Jack back.
    Yep they're at Universal.....I honestly don't see them trying to bring them into the parks. I just don't think they could pull it off without a lot of upset. And Capt. Jack comes back every Halloween season.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

The action figures were in the Disney Stores though!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

From what I have read on other sites. Disney owns the rights, but can't use the characters in Florida. They can use them in other parks though. Also, isn't Jack Sparrow a character that walks around near POC?

WDW - '93, '00 (ASM), '02 (ASM), '04 (POP), '06 (CB), '07 (POP), '08 (ASM), '09 (POP), '10 (POP), '11 (POP), '12 (POP)

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcky fan View Post
    From what I have read on other sites. Disney owns the rights, but can't use the characters in Florida. They can use them in other parks though. Also, isn't Jack Sparrow a character that walks around near POC?
    Captain Jack was a regular feature when they transformed TSI into Pirate's Lair. Had a MnG area plus a stunt show, that only lasted a year. Jack was pulled offstage due to a couple of reasons. They needed money to pay for the new Tink MnG area and the fact that many older females were getting too affectionate with Jack. Jack made some appearances during the Pirates 4
    preview, but he was separated from the crowd abit.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcky fan View Post
    From what I have read on other sites. Disney owns the rights, but can't use the characters in Florida. They can use them in other parks though.
    Since a number of the Marvel characters are at Universal Studios Florida/Islands of Adventure, I expect there's something in the language of the agreements that prevents Marvel from licensing to other parks in the same area so as not to compete with Universal/IoA. It'll be interesting to see what happens when those contracts are due for expiration.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Well they can use them on the monorail. I doubt we will see actual characters roaming the parks though.

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

Starspeeder 3000 Technician

I believe the actual wording of the contract between Marvel and Universal states that Marvel characters cannot be used in an attraction or show within the confines of a competing 'theme park'. From what I have read, anyway. Also, Universal holds the rights to Marvel Island at Islands of Adventure until such time as Universal makes significant changes to that particular island-land.

If Disney is allowed to bring Marvel characters into the Disney parks under the current contract between Marvel and Universal, then they most certainly will find a way to do so. Plenty of Marvel characters would be quite at home in certain established Disney park locations in a meet-and-greet setting as it is. As it stands, I'm not sure that Disney can use the characters inside the theme parks. Plus, I don't see Universal letting go of their use of the Marvel characters anytime soon. They just 'plussed' their Spider-Man attraction at IOA, and Marvel Island is arguably the second most popular Island at IOA next to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Some other popular theme would have to come along to entice Universal to let go of their Marvel rights and redo Marvel Island into a new area.

Still, I find it entertaining that there are Disney owned characters and attractions at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure park. And that's not even mentioning Men In Black. MIB was a Marvel property once. I am not sure as to who really owns it nowadays.

If they ever made into a WDW park, it should be DHS and not MK. With the Marvel movie success, I believe this makes the most sense. Like I said IF.

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris