Quantcast reservation frustration
  Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World | User Reviews | Travel
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: reservation frustration

  1. #1

    reservation frustration

    I just need to vent. We are waitlisted for a 2 bedroom at the Beach Club for October. Just to confirm my suspicion, I went to disneyworld.com and tried to get a room as a non-member, and sure enough, a 2 bedroom was available for $810 a night!!! Seems that DVC members should get rooms if they want them, if a room is available, we should be able to get it on points! Ok, now I'm done, with fingers-crossed we get either a one or two-bedroom. I won't too disappointed if we don't as we got a room at BLT, but there is no pool like Stormalong Bay for 4 year olds!!


  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Posts
     

  3. #2
    CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC
    MousePad Community Leader
    Toocherie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    15 minutes from Disneyland!

    Even long-time DVC members are confused about the inventory question. Basically, there are certain villas that are "owned" by Disney (in other words, 100% of points at a resort are not sold and owned by members). It could be that Disney got them back through foreclosure, or a member may trade out through RCI or for a cruise and those points that would otherwise have been used by the members become Disney's to "rent" for that year (to offset the cost of the member using their points for a non-DVC vacation). SOMETIMES if the villas are not rented by a certain point (two or three months out) DVC might be able to pull them back and use them for DVC points. It is not DVC holding back inventory as some people think; this is a separate inventory that Disney is entitled to have under the system. By renting the rooms to non-members the income goes back to DVC and helps offset our maintenance fees, so in some ways it is a "win-win."

    "Y'all might want to go to Wal-Mart and pick up a personality." Phil Robertson

  4. #3
    Read Everything-Assume Nothing
    MousePad Administrator
    GusMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    It is not DVC holding back inventory as some people think; this is a separate inventory that Disney is entitled to have under the system. By renting the rooms to non-members the income goes back to DVC and helps offset our maintenance fees, so in some ways it is a "win-win."
    This is exactly the case - but it is also the most misunderstood case as well.
    As with any hotel, DVC or otherwise, you never have 100% of the rooms available. This is the case with DVC resorts as well. In addition to the usual renovation, maintenance, etc, which takes rooms out of the inventory, there is a small slice of rooms that are available to the general public or via trades.

    Dont get me wrong - I completely agree with MMLover's comments that if there is a room available, I should be able to get them on points. It just took me a while to understand the "business model" and the mechanics as to how things run in the background.

    But you have a room at BLT.... which to be honest, will be equally a treat! Agreed - pool area is not like SAB, but its not shabby either.
    The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!
     

  5. #4

    Thanks GusMan.

    I understand they hold some for cash - $3600+ is more money than even our annual maintenance cost, but at the 7 month mark, I think if members want a room, they should get it! We will be happy at BLT, but we'd prefer BCV for pool and Beaches n Cream


  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    SW FL. 20 yrs. Now NC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    Even long-time DVC members are confused about the inventory question. Basically, there are certain villas that are "owned" by Disney (in other words, 100% of points at a resort are not sold and owned by members). It could be that Disney got them back through foreclosure, or a member may trade out through RCI or for a cruise and those points that would otherwise have been used by the members become Disney's to "rent" for that year (to offset the cost of the member using their points for a non-DVC vacation). SOMETIMES if the villas are not rented by a certain point (two or three months out) DVC might be able to pull them back and use them for DVC points. It is not DVC holding back inventory as some people think; this is a separate inventory that Disney is entitled to have under the system. By renting the rooms to non-members the income goes back to DVC and helps offset our maintenance fees, so in some ways it is a "win-win."
    this is total crap and only the excuse they give. it's true, there are a certain number of villas that were built exclusivly for each venue, they do not tell you that when you buy, they let you think its all DVC invemntory. and then to add to the insult they have over sold every DVC excpet Sarratoga Springs ! used to have NO problem getting rooms when ever we called, now, even off times, you have a difficult time booking what you want unless you do book 7 months out and who the heck can do that??? Not us, nor many others . I feel ya! and I have vented on this issue many many times usually with member services. sometimes it helps, sometimes not.
    here's hoping we have a great time and they lower ticket prices!
    LPnerd

  7. #6
    CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC
    MousePad Community Leader
    Toocherie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    15 minutes from Disneyland!
    Quote Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
    this is total crap and only the excuse they give. you have a difficult time booking what you want unless you do book 7 months out and who the heck can do that??? Not us, nor many others . I feel ya! and I have vented on this issue many many times usually with member services. sometimes it helps, sometimes not.
    here's hoping we have a great time and they lower ticket prices!
    Well, not to argue with you, but most of my friends who are DVC members DO book seven (and in most cases 11) months out. I know I do. If you do research on DVC before you buy seasoned members will tell you that if you are a "last-minute trip" kind of person then DVC is not for you. You really do need to be a planner. I guess your statement that your venting "helps" with member services bothers me--I guess it's that old "squeaky wheel" thing? Personally, I would hope that the rules would be consistent for everyone and not for someone who can't (or won't) work within the system.

    As for the statement about lower ticket prices--ummm, I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm sure you will have a great time however!
    "Y'all might want to go to Wal-Mart and pick up a personality." Phil Robertson

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    SW FL. 20 yrs. Now NC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    Well, not to argue with you, but most of my friends who are DVC members DO book seven (and in most cases 11) months out. I know I do. If you do research on DVC before you buy seasoned members will tell you that if you are a "last-minute trip" kind of person then DVC is not for you. You really do need to be a planner. I guess your statement that your venting "helps" with member services bothers me--I guess it's that old "squeaky wheel" thing? Personally, I would hope that the rules would be consistent for everyone and not for someone who can't (or won't) work within the system.

    As for the statement about lower ticket prices--ummm, I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm sure you will have a great time however!
    We don't have the luxury of booking so far out. we work for a living and so its difficult to do that as a manager and Nurse, we sometimes have to change things around a little, so, 4-5 months out is about as far as we can go, unless it's a BIG trip, then we make hard plans a year out, and buy insurance, LOL> we have been members for years now, since 96, and at that time we never had a problem calling even a few weeks out as long as it wasn't peak season, and we weren't picky. they over sold boardwalk, wilderness and beach... if you get the right people off the record they admit it.
    also, the first few years , untill jan of 2002, we had free passes each time we went, we lived in Fl at that time so we used it a lot... Its strange that I have to give a history in order not to be passed off as a crank. seriousley, Disney is taking advantage of us , it will only stop when we say something unmasse. Letting yourself be taken advantage of really hurts everyone, just sayin'. and unfortunatley, at disnay nowadays, it is the squeeky wheel that gets treated the way we all used to be .
    I miss the magic. It's still there, just keeps getting harder to find. and I won't hold me breath, but what bothers me, you seem ok with that, which is exactly my point... good day.
    LPnerd

  9. #8
    CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC
    MousePad Community Leader
    Toocherie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    15 minutes from Disneyland!

    As for the passes--those were "perks" that could go away at any time and did--just like valet parking. Was I upset when valet parking went away? Yes, but I also knew it was a lost cause because it wasn't something guaranteed in the contract.

    What I'm ok with is getting what my contract says I'm entitled to. I am not ok with people who make a fuss and get treated "specially"-

    Oh, fyi--I work for a living too.

    I have been able to get "something" at seven months out and even earlier in--but you have to be flexible. The only resort I have a really hard time at (and where I have most of my points) is at the Grand Californian. There I book at 11 months.

    "Y'all might want to go to Wal-Mart and pick up a personality." Phil Robertson

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    SW FL. 20 yrs. Now NC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    As for the passes--those were "perks" that could go away at any time and did--just like valet parking. Was I upset when valet parking went away? Yes, but I also knew it was a lost cause because it wasn't something guaranteed in the contract.

    What I'm ok with is getting what my contract says I'm entitled to. I am not ok with people who make a fuss and get treated "specially"-

    Oh, fyi--I work for a living too.

    I have been able to get "something" at seven months out and even earlier in--but you have to be flexible. The only resort I have a really hard time at (and where I have most of my points) is at the Grand Californian. There I book at 11 months.

    I realize those were perks, I'm not an idiot. Stop with the passive aggressive
    do you like to argue, or are you working now?
    I make a fuss when I call 3-4 MONTHS OUT, AM WILLING TO STAY WHEREVER AND THERE IS NOTHING BECAUSE THEY OVER SOLD...
    rofl.. YOU DON'T GET IT . listen, you're wrong, you can't twist. placate, and play dumb and not get called on it from time to time. You are whats wrong with the world, it's not about being treated special, its about being treated like a shareholder in the property you paid good money for. I don't expect to be treated special, at these prices, I demand it. and so should you my friend.
    I am not jumping up and down screaming, I just ask what can be done and I find if something can be done, it is. do I throw a fit if things don't go my way? No, but if you don't ask, you'll never know. You have your way, I have mine, that's it and that's all. you must enjoy being taken advantage of, I do not. Enjoy those price hikes as of June 6th too.
    LPnerd

  11. #10
    Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePad Community Leader
    AVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Happy Homeowner
    Blog Entries
    247

    Moderator Warning:

    If participants in this thread want to discuss Disney policy, that's perfectly fine. If you want to discuss other members, that's NOT OK, and is a violation of our Community Policies.

    Adrienne
    - for the Moderators


  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
    I make a fuss when I call 3-4 MONTHS OUT, AM WILLING TO STAY WHEREVER AND THERE IS NOTHING BECAUSE THEY OVER SOLD...
    I doubt that they technically oversold but I will point out that there are a lot of points that have been sold for more than just the WDW resorts. I own in CA because I live in CA and was more comfortable owning property here. To date, I have only used my points in WDW. This does restrict me from booking more than 7 months out but I have, to date, been able to get what I wanted within that window. This does stop someone who owns at the resort I booked at from getting a last minute room but does not mean that the resort is oversold.

    The rules allow people to book 7 months out. If everyone does this, then all the rooms will be spoken for at the 7 month mark. Conversely, the rules could have allowed bookings only 2 months out, at which point the inventory would be "wide open" at your 3-4 month mark. Disney does the same thing with allowing dining reservations at the 6 month mark. Do I think it's insane to try to divine where I want to eat six months into the future? Yes. Have I woken up before the crack of dawn to try to secure a dining reservation? Yes. As long as there are people who are able/willing to plan in advance, then the target date gets moved for everyone.

    While it's unfortunate that some people's work schedule only allows booking a relatively short time in advance, other schedules require the booking of airfare, approval of time off at work, etc which benefit from the longer lead time.

  13. #12
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    Mermaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Arizona

    It does surprise me that you are unable to get SSR or OKW (or even AKV) at 3-4 months out. What time of year are you looking to go? That may have an impact on availability. I just checked and even at a month out, I could find a studio for a week at SSR and a 1BR at OKW. I don't feel like booking 7 months out or more is being taken advantage of. I have vacations penciled in (months and years) for the next 4 years, and yes, we work- a teacher and an audit manager. I am sorry if you are having trouble though- I can imagine it would be frustrating.

    Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    SW FL. 20 yrs. Now NC.

    yeah, it is frustrating and I'm sorry, but the resorts I mentioned in the beginning are oversold. If you get an honest salesperson off the record, or at one of the fine establishments having an after hour cocktail, they will admit it and feel badly about it as well. Poor management. It's not a big secret and is fairly common knowledge around Orlando. I have no idea about anything in Calif except I like Ca. adventure and not magic kingdom there. they let too many people in IMHO> and I was there in Sept. the last time.
    sorry about the scuff up, I usually don't take things so personally. Valet parking and I tipped the people before anyway so I don't miss that much. my current plan is to buy a ten day PH with good for ever option and when it's gone, I'm done. I love the mouse, but it's just gotten to the point of being taken advantage of now. IF people stay home, the prices will go down. I promise.

    LPnerd

  15. #14
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    Mermaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Arizona

    Oversold to me implies that people are being bumped, but I have *very* rarely heard of that happening. But, are they completely full up, yeah, I would imagine Disney wants them to be. I worked at Enterprise for a few years after college and our goal was to have an average of 94% of our cars on rent for the month. Most local branches run 150 cars, so that means on average, there should be 9 cars not on rent. When you figured 2 were usually in the shop, 2 were usually very hard to rent cargo or 15 passenger vans, that meant we usually had on average 5 available cars on our lot, many many times we had only 1-2 cars. So, I can imagine Disney likely has similar occupancy goals and at certain times of the year, there are just no rooms available, which averages with slower times where there is more "inventory." Is it frustrating, sure, but that's business. I really do wish they would build another DVC in CA because GCV is so hard to get, although I have been successful getting something at exactly 7 months out. 6 months and 3 weeks, not so much. But, in reality, they would sell the new property until it could be full every night and it would also be hard to get!

    I forgot that you said you could get SSR in your first post because you said you were willing to stay wherever in your next one. Is that what you ended up doing? If you are willing to stay anywhere, why are you so upset about only being able to get SSR? I get being annoyed and/or disappointed, but not furious.

    Are you suggesting that all the DVC people who spent tens of thousands of dollars on their ownerships stay home so availability and prices go down? I don't see that happening.

    Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    SW FL. 20 yrs. Now NC.

    bumped is on airplanes when they over sell... I think each industry may have a differnt way of dealing with over sold. perhaps this one is when you call, there are no rooms... but whatever...
    I hate Saratoga. everyone has one resort that they could live without, that one is ours... I do book 7 months out when I can,
    and there are more things to do with your points than spend even more money at the parks... But then again, I bought back when points were about 10 bucks a piece
    and yeah I think if more folks stayed away from the parks a couple years. boycott until they cut their ticket prices, they would drop the price pretty quick.Again, there are MANY wonderful options to use those points , althrough thats getting harder to do too.
    we all do not have to agree kids... it doesn't make one person wrong, it's just different. but I will believe the DVC salepeople at the parks when they tell me the first few dvc were over sold, excuse me if that goes against what you'd like to think.
    please feel free to do and think as you wish, there is no reason to be nasty.

    LPnerd

  17. #16
    It was a good day!
    MousePad Community Leader
    Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    Are you suggesting that all the DVC people who spent tens of thousands of dollars on their ownerships stay home so availability and prices go down? I don't see that happening.
    I know people keep suggesting "If people just didn't go, Disney would cut their prices." The issue is, people do go, to the extent the parks are packed. So, most people do find value in going to the Disney parks. Imagine the crowds if the prices went DOWN. Yes, if the parks were sparsely populated, Disney would create discounts, like they have in the past. But currently, there is no need to do this.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •