Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Contemporary?

Thoughts on the Contemporary?

Just wondering if anyone had stayed at the Contemporary lately? We have received a nice pin code for the summer months. We like to try different resorts. It is actually the best deal for the deluxes. We have never stayed there before. Please share your thoughts and experiences at the Contemporary. Thanks!

2. # ADS

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff

Have you spent much time there? We haven't actually stayed there but seem to have spent a decent amount of time there, especially when we're staying at the Poly. We've spent time in the restaurants, the shops, walking around the pool and grounds, used the boat transportation, even watched the fireworks from the walkway over to Bay Lake Towers, and we've always loved the atmosphere. I just haven't been in any of the rooms, so I don't know what that's like, but we always say when we're spending time there that we would like to stay sometime.

I still want to figure out why we never receive those fancy pin numbers! I've often thought it would be fun to stay there, but it looks as though major renovations may be in order to bring it up to BLT's standards.

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

Cbarry, the only time we have been there was to eat at Chef Mickey's. We weren't too impressed with that....but DH thinks its cool that the monorail goes through it...I think it is cool that it is within walking distance to MK....I really would like to stay at the Poly, but even with the pin code I just can't justify paying that much when we are at the parks so much...

Petesimac, who know why some people get pin codes and others don't. I think we got ours because we went three years in a row and now it has been two years since we have been...they know we are easy targets to convince to come back! I really am trying to wait until the Fantasyland expansion is finished...but they keep sending me these "deals!"

I would love to stay st the Contemporary and I've walked around the resort many times, but we prefer the Epcot resorts as that's (Epcot & the Studios) where we spend most of our time.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeymom5 View Post
    Cbarry, the only time we have been there was to eat at Chef Mickey's. We weren't too impressed with that....but DH thinks its cool that the monorail goes through it...I think it is cool that it is within walking distance to MK....I really would like to stay at the Poly, but even with the pin code I just can't justify paying that much when we are at the parks so much...

Petesimac, who know why some people get pin codes and others don't. I think we got ours because we went three years in a row and now it has been two years since we have been...they know we are easy targets to convince to come back! I really am trying to wait until the Fantasyland expansion is finished...but they keep sending me these "deals!"
    I feel the same way about the monorail. I also feel the same way about walking to the Magic Kingdom. We've done that after eating at Chef Mickey's and The Wave and we kept saying how great it would be to walk backand forth like this. I will stay at The Contemporary some day for those two reasons.

The pin code thing seems to be hard to figure out. We've gone so many times on great pin code deals in recent years. I thought because of that and being a Disney Visa cardholder, being a Disney Movie Club member, etc. put me on a list, but we traveled with friends a few years back. They were on their first Disney trip and had none of those other memberships that I mentioned. About a month after our trip, he got a pin code emailed to him and has been getting them ever since...so go figure. I love them and I hope I keep getting them.

Regarding the pin code and the Poly vs. The Contemporary, was the pin code so specific? Three times our pin code was for Deluxe resorts. It didn't specify one resort being a better deal than another. We found a Garden View at the Poly to be the same or less than a room in the tower at the Contemporary. The only way The Contemporary was less was for a room in the Garden wing. The Garden wing seems nice, but we preferred a room at The Poly with a garden view for around the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    I feel the same way about the monorail. I also feel the same way about walking to the Magic Kingdom. We've done that after eating at Chef Mickey's and The Wave and we kept saying how great it would be to walk backand forth like this. I will stay at The Contemporary some day for those two reasons.

The pin code thing seems to be hard to figure out. We've gone so many times on great pin code deals in recent years. I thought because of that and being a Disney Visa cardholder, being a Disney Movie Club member, etc. put me on a list, but we traveled with friends a few years back. They were on their first Disney trip and had none of those other memberships that I mentioned. About a month after our trip, he got a pin code emailed to him and has been getting them ever since...so go figure. I love them and I hope I keep getting them.

Regarding the pin code and the Poly vs. The Contemporary, was the pin code so specific? Three times our pin code was for Deluxe resorts. It didn't specify one resort being a better deal than another. We found a Garden View at the Poly to be the same or less than a room in the tower at the Contemporary. The only way The Contemporary was less was for a room in the Garden wing. The Garden wing seems nice, but we preferred a room at The Poly with a garden view for around the same price.
    I put the pin code in and when I compared the two resorts, it priced the Poly at $130 more a night than the Contemporary (standard rooms). The Boardwalk rooms were the same price as the Contemporary. It says it is 30% off deluxes....I guess they just know they can get more for the Poly...??..???

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh, if I got a nice little pin code I would for sure stay there. I use to when I was a kid. Now that I pay my own way I stay at POP but with a pin number I would stay there in a heart beat.

I stayed at the Contemporary a couple of times. The first was when I was touring with a show group, and we were opening for Tennessee Ernie Ford who was playing a convention at the Contemp. We stayed in one of the wings, which wasn't nearly as cool as actually staying in the tower. My next stay was indeed in the tower, up on the 7th floor overlooking the Magic Kingdom and the Seven Seas Lagoon. It was just so totally cool to stay in the hotel that I'd been reading about and dreaming about since the late 60's when it was first announced! The room was very comfortable (and has since been totally remodeled), and I never heard any noise from either the monorail or the people in the atrium. It was incredible to just go downstairs, step onto a monorail, and be in the MK (or in Epcot with a monorail transfer). The only problem with my stay at the Contemp. was that I got sick about halfway through the week, and spent way too much time in my room, eating room service, and standing out on my balcony whimpering as I watched all the people having fun!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymom5 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone had stayed at the Contemporary lately? We have received a nice pin code for the summer months. We like to try different resorts. It is actually the best deal for the deluxes. We have never stayed there before. Please share your thoughts and experiences at the Contemporary. Thanks!
    I would definitely take this deal! I've stayed at the contemporary many times. I agree that you don't hear too much from the lobby when you are in your room, so there's no issue there. You have the advantage of having the monorail literally right there, you are in walking distance to the Magic Kingdom, and it is very easy to get anywhere in the world because you are one stop away from the TTC on the monorail. On top of that, you've got great views of Wishes and the Magic Kingdom (you can watch from your balcony if you have a Magic Kingdom view, or from the north end of the Grand Canyon Concourse, or from the bridge to Bay Lake Tower), along with the beautiful views of Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. If you decide to do something else can I borrow your pin number?
    Tony S.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/][/url]

We've stayed at the Contemporary twice, once in a garden wing and once in the tower. The tower is really cool because of the monorail and view. We also really liked the garden wing because our daughter was a very active 2-year-old at the time and we got a ground floor room. She had plenty of space to run (mostly chasing ducks) while we relaxed on the patio with a beer. The best part was the fast and easy walk to the MK. While our daughter napped, DH and I took turns staying in the room with her so one of us could walk over to the park and hit some of the rides DD was too short or too scared to ride.

The Poly and AKL are my favorite resorts, but for $130 less/night I would definitely give the Contemporary a try. It's a really nice resort in a great location.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethemouse View Post
    If you decide to do something else can I borrow your pin number?
    I know you were probably kidding, but I'd like to point out that from everything I've read those pin numbers are tied to a specific person, and not transferrable.
    - James Taylor

Just got my pin number in the mail today in a Disney Destinations brochure featuring Pinocchio and Jiminy . 30% off select hotels from 5/24-8/14 or free dining from 8/25-9/29. My trip's in October! Wish I could pass along the pin number, too!

Even though the Poly is our favorite, staying at the Contemporary in the Tower was a dream of mine since I was a kid. It was realized about three years ago. We had a Magic Kingdom view on the 6th floor of the Tower. It was Awesome! The view, the monorail access, rooms were recently refurbed and big enough for our family of five! Little to no noise, watching Wishes, and the Water Padgent from your balcony was cool. But seeing the Castle lit up at night when you were going to sleep was quite the sight! I say go for it.!

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I know you were probably kidding, but I'd like to point out that from everything I've read those pin numbers are tied to a specific person, and not transferrable.
    Yes, I was kidding!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The rate at the Poly was probably more becaue the PIN code rate was sold out for the dates you put in.

I keep getting PIN codes for my roommate from TNT a few years ago - in her name, at my address (because I was the first to check into the room). I guess I go too often on my own to get PIN codes!

Cathy

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    Just got my pin number in the mail today in a Disney Destinations brochure featuring Pinocchio and Jiminy . 30% off select hotels from 5/24-8/14 or free dining from 8/25-9/29. My trip's in October! Wish I could pass along the pin number, too!
    I got mine too in the mail...but I already took advantage of the offer so we are ahead. It's a magical card anyway...love seeing anything Disney in my mailbox.

Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by tappenfeat View Post
    ...love seeing anything Disney in my mailbox.
    We're such geeks!
    - James Taylor

We stayed at the Contemporary last year we stayed on the 7th floor which overlooked the Magic Kingdom and 7 Seas Lagoon it was great. However if you are a light sleeper (which I am ) you might want to stay in the wing or Bay Lake Towers.....by the end of vacation I knew the morning song the kids would sing at Chef Mickeys ...seriously !! Celebrate its Mickey Celebrate its Mickey M I C K E Y !

Quote Originally Posted by Agent1964fem View Post
    We stayed at the Contemporary last year we stayed on the 7th floor which overlooked the Magic Kingdom and 7 Seas Lagoon it was great. However if you are a light sleeper (which I am ) you might want to stay in the wing or Bay Lake Towers.....by the end of vacation I knew the morning song the kids would sing at Chef Mickeys ...seriously !! Celebrate its Mickey Celebrate its Mickey M I C K E Y !
    Huh. I think we were on the 9th floor (but it's possible we were higher up). I'm a REALLY light sleeper and I never heard a thing. So maybe just a room on a higher floor of the tower would solve the problem.

I'm with you, mxrapu - I was on floor 7 and never heard a thing!

- James Taylor

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We're such geeks!
    I know!!! LOL!!!

Stephanie

We're such geeks!
    Yeah, just this past weekend I put a new Disney decal on my car that says "My other car is a monorail." I'm a serious Disney Geek!...lol

I now return you to your regularly scheduled post......
    Tony S.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/][/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethemouse View Post
    Yeah, just this past weekend I put a new Disney decal on my car that says "My other car is a monorail." I'm a serious Disney Geek!...lol

I now return you to your regularly scheduled post......
    I'm so geeky that my 'other car is a monorail' sticker is cracked and peeling...and needs to be replaced already!

We get PIN codes at my house...for my grown son who no longer lives here. We can't use them because they are specifically for the addressee (and yes, I do think Disney targets guests who haven't been there in awhile).

I've stayed at the Contemporary and love the location. My preference would be for tower rooms rather than garden wing rooms, though. The interiors of all the rooms were redone a few years ago and are really very nice, sleek and modern, in keeping with the theme of the resort.
    Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

[QUOTE=Lovethemouse;1720617]Yeah, just this past weekend I put a new Disney decal on my car that says "My other car is a monorail." QUOTE]

I just saw on laughingplace.com that they have one of those white outline stickers that says "My other car is a doom buggy". I just GOTTA get it (to go with my "Goodbye Michael - Bring Back Roy" sticker!).

- James Taylor