Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Southwest Airlines "wanna get away" rates

Lightbulb Southwest Airlines "wanna get away" rates

These rates are about 2-300 dollars less each way....there are restrictions though.....anyone use these rates, and was it that bad? thank you!!!!!

The mosted wasted of days, is the one without laughter-E E Cummings

2. # ADS

Loving my sweet pea.

I've never used any other rate on Southwest other than wanna get away. Our travel has always been great, no problems. You can still cancel or switch your flights and get a credit in your southwest account for up to a year from the original booking date.

ETA: I think the main difference is that you can not switch your flight to another flight on the same day without paying for the difference in price. For example, you can't show up at the airport a few hours early and wait for standby for an earlier flight without paying the fare difference.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exactly, Nancy.

Southwest doesn't allow Standby flying off the Gonna Get Away fares. That's not usually a big deal. With where I fly, I generally don't want to get on a different flight (unless it was a business trip, and then I usually booked it late enough that the low rate wasn't available anyway). So that little restriction isn't even a blip, let alone a deal breaker.

You can still pay the $10/one-way to get pre-assigned boarding positiong if you want, or check in 24 hours in advance.

ETA: The restrictions are generally just availability - so if the times/days/flights work for you --- jump asap on it!

Cathy

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I nor DW have had a problem using the wanna get away rates. But with that said we never had to change flights on ones we booked. We also just do the 24 hour ahead of time check in to save a couple more bucks.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

This is the only rate I use at Southwest as well. Word to the wise, JUMP ON THEM!!!
    Oh, and the ticket agent has discretion to put you standby without a fee if you look pathetic enough. The agent at LAX put G on stadby for the earlier flight to Sac when she came home from Africa, we barely made it since it was 2 hours earlier than we were expecting her and we have an hour drive to the airport.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    This is the only rate I use at Southwest as well. Word to the wise, JUMP ON THEM!!!
    Oh, and the ticket agent has discretion to put you standby without a fee if you look pathetic enough.
    Also, if there's Plenty-o-seats, I think they may be more inclined to exercise that discretion, ESPECIALLY if the later flight is closer to being full/overfull. Saves them headaches for the later flight!
    Cathy

Actually she had to wait for the very last second cause the earlier flight was full but her flight wasn't. The agent was just super nice. She asked her about her long layover (since she came off from Turkish and had to clear customs, that 5:45 flight would have only given her about an hour leeway, so we had booked the 8 pm flight to make sure nothing went wrong), and offered to put her stand by. Part of us barely making it was she didn't know until the last second, they closed the door behind her and pushed back while she was finding that very last empty seat, I could hear the seat belt dinging and the pilot as she called to let me know. And, Whistler wasn't quite home from work yet. Of course when she let us know she was on stand by for the earlier flight, but that it was a full flight, Whistler just told her to tell them she is small and would fit in the overhead. :P I told her to offer to let someone's kid sit on her lap.
    One of those happy magic moments that you don't expect. I love Southwest.