Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Trips Cancelled Lead to the Ultimate Christmas Adventure!

Mal always uses the good neighbor hotels. I can't recall her whole screen name (there is an 8 in it) at the moment but you could PM her and ask. She and her family are also very familiar with Service dogs and DL, as her daughter trains them.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Mal always uses the good neighbor hotels. I can't recall her whole screen name (there is an 8 in it) at the moment but you could PM her and ask. She and her family are also very familiar with Service dogs and DL, as her daughter trains them.
    Oh! I know who you're talking about - Malcon10t. She's always got good tips and tricks - especially for service dogs.

Thank you, yes I knew there was a number in her screen name. They go for 2 weeks or so at Christmas and always ship their stuff ahead. They also never stay on property as they have their regular hotels they enjoy for better rates.

Regarding decorating without a tree, we have a growing collection of Christmas CDs that we play (and download for travel) starting right after Thanksgiving. That way, whether we have visual decorations or not, we have plenty of musical atmosphere. Some hotels (Hilton and Marriott come to mind) provide MP3 player docks in the alarm clock, but we bring our own travel dock as well so we can enjoy our favorite holiday music in the hotel room, too. Hot cocoa and Christmas music in the room while watching fireworks is so fun!

Oh, and food! Since I have food restrictions, we bring some of our favorite holiday food treats, too. If the hotel room has a refrigerator, storage is easy. And it cuts down on the temptation to eat too many DLR goodies, which can be a problem for my tummy. At home, we start celebrating with holiday food items (e.g. stollen, cookies, etc.) so that the tastes and smells decorate the house, even without a tree.

I like the idea of doing some minimal decorating at home before we leave and keeping that up through the first of the year. That way it still feels like Christmas without being overwhelming.

APPEASING MY PLANNING MONSTER
    I woke up this morning with an overwhelming urge to PLAN. At this point, there's really not much to do other than work with the planning binder. SO.....I did some tweeking and rearranging. I created a few new pages. Later today I'll go to Staples to punch holes into the new sheets so they can be added to my special red book.

WHAT TO BUY IN ADVANCE?
    I love to show up at DLR without a care in the world. As such, I make sure to have as much as possible paid for before we arrive. The car, the room (when possible), food, tickets, and any other tiny piece of the trip all paid for and waiting for us to enjoy.

In previous years I prepaid meals by just getting Disney gift cards. I may still do that, but think I'll go a step further and pre-purchase character dining meals through Getaway Today.

I've also pulled together a list of restaurants for the LA portion of our trip (thanks to the wonderful people following this report). We sifted through based on what we like to eat that's in our price range. I compared the restaurants we chose with Restaurant.com, but was unable to find any good coupons there. I'll do a bit more digging to see if there are any coupons out there.

That's it for now! I hope you are all having a great weekend!

Once you have your restaurant list down (and some back-up choices, just in case), let us know so we can keep a lookout for any discount codes or coupons that come out before your visit. Will you be needing groceries for your time at DLR? There was a recent thread about pre-ordering from Vons online and having the things delivered to your hotel (and some hotels will put your food items in your room before you arrive).

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Once you have your restaurant list down (and some back-up choices, just in case), let us know so we can keep a lookout for any discount codes or coupons that come out before your visit. Will you be needing groceries for your time at DLR? There was a recent thread about pre-ordering from Vons online and having the things delivered to your hotel (and some hotels will put your food items in your room before you arrive).
    We're big fans of Von's delivery, and have used it on many trips. We'll be continuing that this time as well. Since I'm very sensitive to random junk in tap water, we order a few cases of water, healthy snacks, and stuff to make lunches.

Here's a list of the restaurants we might try:

BLD on Beverly
    7450 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles
    (323) 930-9744
    Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
    $15 20/person

Pizzeria Mozza
    641 North Highland Ave, Los Angeles
    (323) 297-0101
    Lunch and Dinner
    $20/person

Mendocino Farms
    300 South Grand Ave, Los Angeles
    (213) 620.1114
    $10/person
    Lunch Only

Little Osaka (Sushi)
    Sawtelle Blvd, Los Angeles
    $15-20/person
    Dinner Only (6PM - 10PM)

Kiyokawa in Beverly Hills
    265 S Robertson Blvd., Beverly Hills
    (310) 358-1900
    $15/person
    Lunch and Dinner

Clementine
    1751 Ensley Ave., Los Angeles
    (310) 552-1080
    $12/person
    Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner

Cafe Surfas
    8777 W. Washington Blvd., Culver City
    $10/person

The per person price I have listed are based on what we usually eat. Obviously we won't use all of them. We'll likely make reservations for Thursday and Friday night and then choose choose from this list for lunch based on where we are at around noon. If you know of ANY coupons for these places, please let me know!

Continuing on the ever-popular topic of food, we'll also be signing up for Mimi's coupons a couple of weeks before the trip. We have new email addresses (changed companies), so we'll get that great BOGO coupon! Since there are a few of us, this will help tremendously.

Speaking of the number of people on the trip, here's the new status. DMOM just bought her plane tickets - she decided to stay for the entire DLR portion of our trip! I'm excited to show her all of the little special places in the parks, and to see if I can talk her into riding TOT.

We still don't know anything about DSIS and DBIL. They won't know for a couple of months.

Your estimates on price per person seem a bit low. Have you been able to check online menus for your chosen places? You might be able to meet those prices if you share and don't eat a lot. For example, for lunch at Pizzeria Mozza, we usually end up around $20 - $30/person (for a pizza each, dinner plate sized, and a beverage, and sharing a dessert). Clementine is closer to $20/person for lunch (sandwich, drink, dessert -- although they do have a combo special every day with 1/2 sandwich, cup of soup or salad, and a cookie). I'd budget higher, then, if you can manage with less, you'll have more in the kitty after your trip. I'm pretty sure that Kiyokawa cannot be done for $15/person, but I would call the restaurant to see what they say. Also, just to clarify, Little Osaka is an area (Sawtelle, around and south of Olympic) in West L.A., not a specific restaurant. There are many restaurants in that area, so you'll have lots to choose from. L.A. has many food choices, but, sadly, can be pretty expensive. And we'll definitely keep you in mind if we get any coupons closer to December. I hope this info is helpful, not depressing. But I would hate for you to have to blow your budget on food by accident.

Your estimates on price per person seem a bit low. Have you been able to check online menus for your chosen places? You might be able to meet those prices if you share and don't eat a lot. For example, for lunch at Pizzeria Mozza, we usually end up around $20 - $30/person (for a pizza each, dinner plate sized, and a beverage, and sharing a dessert). Clementine is closer to $20/person for lunch (sandwich, drink, dessert -- although they do have a combo special every day with 1/2 sandwich, cup of soup or salad, and a cookie). I'd budget higher, then, if you can manage with less, you'll have more in the kitty after your trip. I'm pretty sure that Kiyokawa cannot be done for $15/person, but I would call the restaurant to see what they say. Also, just to clarify, Little Osaka is an area (Sawtelle, around and south of Olympic) in West L.A., not a specific restaurant. There are many restaurants in that area, so you'll have lots to choose from. L.A. has many food choices, but, sadly, can be pretty expensive. And we'll definitely keep you in mind if we get any coupons closer to December. I hope this info is helpful, not depressing. But I would hate for you to have to blow your budget on food by accident.
    Thanks for the tip! I did look at the menus and budgeted from there. I'll certainly change Pizzeria to a higher price-point because I assumed we'd share a pizza. I generally budget higher than I have listed there just in case. I'll do that for these restaurants as well so I don't end up having to scrimp at Disney!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Escape2Disney View Post
    Has anyone ever shipped to a Good Neighbor Hotel?
    Yes, I ship every year to our hotel. I know it will take UPS 2 days to deliver to Anaheim, and just plan it out. I usually address it as below:

Guest - Malcon10t Arrival 12/22/12
    Name of Hotel
    Hotel Address
    Anaheim, CA 92802

As for the fireworks, you know your dog best. They are perfectly happy to nap in the crate if you want to do fireworks, and it bothers them.

We usually schedule the room housekeeping. We have housekeepers at Residence Inn who aren't bothered by the dogs, and they don't have a problem coming in while we are out. If I don't know who the housekeeper is, I will request they come while we are in the room. Just put the "Do not disturb" sign up, then when you return, call housekeeping and ask for service.

We will also leave the television on for white noise in the room for the pups.
    Last edited by Malcon10t; 04-16-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Yes, I ship every year to our hotel. I know it will take UPS 2 days to deliver to Anaheim, and just plan it out. I usually address it as below:

Guest - Malcon10t Arrival 12/22/12
    Name of Hotel
    Hotel Address
    Anaheim, CA 92802

As for the fireworks, you know your dog best. They are perfectly happy to nap in the crate if you want to do fireworks, and it bothers them.

We usually schedule the room housekeeping. We have housekeepers at Residence Inn who aren't bothered by the dogs, and they don't have a problem coming in while we are out. If I don't know who the housekeeper is, I will request they come while we are in the room. Just put the "Do not disturb" sign up, then when you return, call housekeeping and ask for service.

We will also leave the television on for white noise in the room for the pups.
    Thanks, Mal!

When I thought of shipping, I orginally thought USPS. It makes much more sense to go with UPS. I'll give that a shot!

The last 2 trips we were lucky enough to stay at GCH (comp'd rooms). They were FANTASTIC about the few times the dog had to stay behind. I am a little concerned by going to a new hotel, but I know my SD is very quiet and peaceful hanging out in the crate if necessary. Hopefully the Carousel housekeeping staff is as accomodating as GCH.

Funny story about our last stay....

It was a LONG trip - 10 days. We were volunteering for a homeschool conference, so much of that time was at the hotel, but it was nevertheless much more activity than my little guy was used to. On the last day we went back to the room to nap (crash is more like it). When we woke up to go to the parks, he just wouldn't budge. I figured he deserved a break! He did finally go into the crate and we left, but not before putting the do not disturb sign up. As luck would have it, the housekeeper didn't pay attention to the sign.

She came in and cleaned even though we had the sign on the door. When we came back to the hotel, someone from the front desk caught up with us - apologizing profusely for going into the room with the dog (at that point we had no idea). He said that the housekeeper was new and was a dog lover. She gave the dog a treat of a little piece of cheese. The desk clerk was worried because she fed him something without talking to me first and because she didn't adhere to the do not disturb sign.

It all turned out fine. He LOVES cheese, and isn't really bothered by people coming and going. I was just so surprised they made a big deal out of it! I guess it's not a good idea to feed dogs you don't know, and you really SHOULD pay attention to door signs, but life goes on...

Blog Entries
    It all turned out fine. He LOVES cheese, and isn't really bothered by people coming and going. I was just so surprised they made a big deal out of it! I guess it's not a good idea to feed dogs you don't know, and you really SHOULD pay attention to door signs, but life goes on...
    I have a slightly different spin on this. She opened the crate to feed the dog. Let's say the door was how it is when most housekeepers clean, open, and when the crate was opened, the dog, maybe nervous around strangers or just adventurous, bolts from the room?

What if the dog had allergies with milk? (We had a GSD when I was growing up who had MAJOR allergies, was very weird, but happened.)

I understand the hotel's response, and while it appeared to have had no effect, there could have been major issues had the situation been different. I am glad they retrained her.

What if the dog had allergies with milk? (We had a GSD when I was growing up who had MAJOR allergies, was very weird, but happened.)

I understand the hotel's response, and while it appeared to have had no effect, there could have been major issues had the situation been different. I am glad they retrained her.
    I was thinking along these lines myself, my mom's dog is VERY allergic to chicken.

I have a slightly different spin on this. She opened the crate to feed the dog. Let's say the door was how it is when most housekeepers clean, open, and when the crate was opened, the dog, maybe nervous around strangers or just adventurous, bolts from the room?

I think if we'd been in the "real" world, or if my dog had a reaction, I would have been VERY angry. When the manager talked to me, the conversation included what he said to the housekeeper and how they plan to train other staff. I think their reaction with their staff was appropriate, so I was satisfied. It's the teacher in me - education before anger.

As for the crate like this: http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Life-S...4681570&sr=8-1, so she didn't have to open the door. THAT would have really upset me. If the door is open, he looks for me, which could have been disasterous.

Blog Entries
    As for the crate like this: http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Life-S...4681570&sr=8-1, so she didn't have to open the door. THAT would have really upset me. If the door is open, he looks for me, which could have been disasterous.
    I just automatically thought of our travel crates, which are soft and zipper.

I am glad he talked with her. And I agree with education before anger. But the education is very important. I am glad everything turned out well.

I never thought to buy a travel crate. We're good for now with the one we have, but I'll have to switch to something like yours after my DD moves out. I can't carry the one we have.

Another question for you, Mal.....

My SD has been on a plane 4 times now, and still struggles with take-off and landing. It really stresses him out and seems to be the hardest part of the trip for him. Do you have any pointers for making it easier? I was thinking of a peanut butter bone (his favorite and he almost never gets one because of the calories), but I'm worried about somone having a peanut allergy on the plane.

Here is a list of price estimates for your restaurant choices (taken from EAT: Los Angeles 2012):

$ $11 and under (Per Entree)
    $$ $12 - $17
    $$$ $18 - $25
    $$$$ $26 - $34

BLD $$ - $$$
    Pizzeria Mozza $$ - $$$
    Mendocino Farms $
    Kiyokawa (from Yelp.com) $$$$ (= $60 and up/person) (Remember, in L.A., a good quality, traditional sushi meal at the sushi bar for under $80 - $100/person, is a good deal)
    Clementine $$ - $$$
    Cafe Surfas $ - $$

Does your budget/person include tax (8.75% L.A. & 7.75% Anaheim) and tip (15% - 20% on average)? One of the things we love about OR (especially Portland) is not having to add on tax when we eat out. Don't know how familiar you are with the restaurant scene in Portland, but we've found that prices at nicer, foodier restaurants there are about 1/3 what they are at comparable places in L.A.

As for sushi, here are some affordable suggestions (if the websites don't work, you can get more basic info on Yelp.com):
    In Little Osaka:
    Kiriko (www.kirikosushi.com) -- call to check the prices on their lunch specials.
    Hide Sushi (www.hidesushi.com) -- cash only, which helps keep the cost down
    Nijiya Market and Marukai Market are Japanese supermarkets where you can get sushi to go.
    And in Orange County:
    Makino Seafood Buffet (www.makinobuffet.com) -- this location of the well known Las Vegas restaurants just opened in Irvine (not too far from DLR -- it's right by John Wayne Airport/SNA). These prices are very reasonable, and I've heard that this is a good place, but not in the same league with the other restaurants listed.

Blog Entries
    My SD has been on a plane 4 times now, and still struggles with take-off and landing. It really stresses him out and seems to be the hardest part of the trip for him. Do you have any pointers for making it easier? I was thinking of a peanut butter bone (his favorite and he almost never gets one because of the calories), but I'm worried about somone having a peanut allergy on the plane.
    Kongs can hold any number of things, PB doesn't HAVE to be one of them. Spray cheese is good. Mustard is also good. (No clue why they like mustard, but whatever floats their boat!) Our pups favorite, that they only get when *I* am in a good mood is braunschweiger. Smear a little of that inside a kong or a sterilized bone, and they will knock themselves out for a good amount of time.

Depending on what he is like, one issue may be the lack of stability (depending on where you are seated). While the "bulk head" seating is great for leg room, and where airlines THINK you would be most comfortable, I can see where a dog would hate it and be nervous. Our dogs tend to prefer smaller, enclosed areas, and we have even backed a 65lb lab under the seat of a puddle jumper. When the plane takes off, and the nose goes up on the plane, there is a lot of "instability" where the pup is lying. They can get nervous because they don't know of they are going to slide, fall, slip, etc... At least under the seat, they are enclosed and have less of a "slip sliding away" feeling.

Just one note, that you already probably know, but don't play into his fear. No "Ohhh its ok, don't be afraid", etc.... Prepare the area when you board, put him where he should be, and make him aware, as the pack leader, you are saying all is fine, and nothing is wrong. Give him his bone just as the plane is taxiing or preparing for landing (I would have 2 bones.) And sit back and relax. Emotions travel the leash.

Here is a list of price estimates for your restaurant choices (taken from EAT: Los Angeles 2012):

$ $11 and under (Per Entree)
    $$ $12 - $17
    $$$ $18 - $25
    $$$$ $26 - $34

BLD $$ - $$$
    Pizzeria Mozza $$ - $$$
    Mendocino Farms $
    Kiyokawa (from Yelp.com) $$$$ (= $60 and up/person) (Remember, in L.A., a good quality, traditional sushi meal at the sushi bar for under $80 - $100/person, is a good deal)
    Clementine $$ - $$$
    Cafe Surfas $ - $$

Does your budget/person include tax (8.75% L.A. & 7.75% Anaheim) and tip (15% - 20% on average)? One of the things we love about OR (especially Portland) is not having to add on tax when we eat out. Don't know how familiar you are with the restaurant scene in Portland, but we've found that prices at nicer, foodier restaurants there are about 1/3 what they are at comparable places in L.A.

As for sushi, here are some affordable suggestions (if the websites don't work, you can get more basic info on Yelp.com):
    In Little Osaka:
    Kiriko (www.kirikosushi.com) -- call to check the prices on their lunch specials.
    Hide Sushi (www.hidesushi.com) -- cash only, which helps keep the cost down
    Nijiya Market and Marukai Market are Japanese supermarkets where you can get sushi to go.
    And in Orange County:
    Makino Seafood Buffet (www.makinobuffet.com) -- this location of the well known Las Vegas restaurants just opened in Irvine (not too far from DLR -- it's right by John Wayne Airport/SNA). These prices are very reasonable, and I've heard that this is a good place, but not in the same league with the other restaurants listed.
    Thanks for the clarification and extra suggestions. DD and I will go through this and make some choices this week. We may just save sushi for our local hangout

Kongs can hold any number of things, PB doesn't HAVE to be one of them. Spray cheese is good. Mustard is also good. (No clue why they like mustard, but whatever floats their boat!) Our pups favorite, that they only get when *I* am in a good mood is braunschweiger. Smear a little of that inside a kong or a sterilized bone, and they will knock themselves out for a good amount of time.

Depending on what he is like, one issue may be the lack of stability (depending on where you are seated). While the "bulk head" seating is great for leg room, and where airlines THINK you would be most comfortable, I can see where a dog would hate it and be nervous. Our dogs tend to prefer smaller, enclosed areas, and we have even backed a 65lb lab under the seat of a puddle jumper. When the plane takes off, and the nose goes up on the plane, there is a lot of "instability" where the pup is lying. They can get nervous because they don't know of they are going to slide, fall, slip, etc... At least under the seat, they are enclosed and have less of a "slip sliding away" feeling.

Just one note, that you already probably know, but don't play into his fear. No "Ohhh its ok, don't be afraid", etc.... Prepare the area when you board, put him where he should be, and make him aware, as the pack leader, you are saying all is fine, and nothing is wrong. Give him his bone just as the plane is taxiing or preparing for landing (I would have 2 bones.) And sit back and relax. Emotions travel the leash.
    I think you're right about the bulkhead. That was our only option on JetBlue. It was a very chaotic and distracting place during loading, and was a cold metal floor instead of carpet. We put a blanket down, but I think it might have felt like the vet's office to him! (the floor was very similar)

This time we're flying Horizon and will be in row 3. It's a seat with extended leg room, but will have a more confined space than the bulkhead. The instability makes sense as well. When he was in training, things like elevators took him a long time to learn. He's fine now, but this is like a giant elevator with a much sharper rise and drop. Only makes sense it'd take more time than solid ground.

I hadn't thought of mustard! We'll try that at home to see how it goes. Spray cheese would be like 'doggie drugs' - he's a HUGE cheese fan! The only thing he likes better is peanut butter.

Thanks for the reminder about emotions traveling down the leash. I know this - I think I just got nervous that he'd disturb the other passengers. Especially since one of his jobs is to tell me when I'm getting sick, he's very tuned in to my well-being. Hopefully having a 6:30AM flight will make me too tired to be too nervous

Thanks for the treat suggestions. There are some I hadn't heard of and we have plenty of time to test them out. As always, your insight is great! It's nice to trade ideas with another SD handler.

Probably totally impractical, but what about a seat belt harness? I don't know that the airline would allow it, or it would be a behavior he would be comfortable with. I just know my mom's dog (not a service dog) doesn't like car rides without her seatbelt being on. My mom has a convertible and didn't want her jumping out at stop lights etc, so she wore a harness from the get-go.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Probably totally impractical, but what about a seat belt harness? I don't know that the airline would allow it, or it would be a behavior he would be comfortable with. I just know my mom's dog (not a service dog) doesn't like car rides without her seatbelt being on. My mom has a convertible and didn't want her jumping out at stop lights etc, so she wore a harness from the get-go.
    From what I understand, this is against the rules. Truth be told, he'd be happier in the seat, but he's only allowed to do that in specific places at home never in restaurants or public transportation.

From what I understand, this is against the rules.
    I kind of figured but thought I would throw it out there.

Regarding holiday atmoshere, if Candlelight Processional is scheduled for the weekend of your trip (usually it's the first weekend in December, but this year Dec. starts on a Saturday, so CP might be the 1st and 2nd or the 8th and 9th), you might really enjoy it. That is something special that really puts us in the Christmas mood. And the tree and castle lighting will be going on during your trip -- that is fun to see.

Regarding sushi, I've heard that the lunch special at Kiriko is under $20/person and that it is a good meal. Dinner will be much more expensive, but that lunch special sounds like a great deal.

Hope the planning is continuing to go well!

Regarding holiday atmoshere, if Candlelight Processional is scheduled for the weekend of your trip (usually it's the first weekend in December, but this year Dec. starts on a Saturday, so CP might be the 1st and 2nd or the 8th and 9th), you might really enjoy it. That is something special that really puts us in the Christmas mood. And the tree and castle lighting will be going on during your trip -- that is fun to see.

Regarding sushi, I've heard that the lunch special at Kiriko is under $20/person and that it is a good meal. Dinner will be much more expensive, but that lunch special sounds like a great deal.

Hope the planning is continuing to go well!
    Do you know how much the Candlelight Processional might be?

Candlelight Processional is free! There have been dining packages and reserved seating packages (e.g. D23, etc.) in the past, but there is no extra charge just to view from Town Square. There is a HAC viewing area, but I'm not sure about your ECV and SD -- Mal would know about that, too.