Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Trips Cancelled Lead to the Ultimate Christmas Adventure!

2 Trips Cancelled Lead to the Ultimate Christmas Adventure!

Travel dates: December 6th - 13th, 2012
    Travel method: Alaska Airlines, shuttles, and various cabs
    Resort: DL/DCA
    Accommodations: Doubletree in Culver City (1 night), and Carousel Inn (6 nights)
    Ages Represented in Group: 18-over 60
    Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: Novice to DLR Veteran
    Cast of characters: Me (41), DD (18), My Service Dog (5), DMOM(She asked me not to say), DSIS (37), DBIL (37), Various friends (ages 30-65)

How this trip came to be:
    WAY back in 2010, my daughter graduated from high school a year early! Being an eternally proud mama and life-time Disney fan, I planned to take her to our first-ever trip to WDW! Mid-way through the planning, I had an opportunity to buy a house. My daughter and I discussed it, and she understood that buying a house had to trump a vacation. The trip was postponed until 2011...

Plans were made, deposits paid, and we were anxiously planning every detail. UNFORTUNATELY, my health took a turn and we had to cancel. This one was hard - it would be the longest we'd ever gone without a visit to Disney, and the reason was so awful in it's own right. It was becoming clear that a trip across the country just wasn't going to happen.

Sad but not defeated, we started to re-evaluate our plans. For the forseeable future, WDW just wasn't in the cards. We decided not to wait until we could make the trip - we needed our Disney fix!

So we have decided to take a Christmas/Graduation/Birthday Trip to our tried and true favorite - DISNEYLAND!!

By going to DLR, we cut down on the travel time significantly, won't have to deal with all of the transportation issues, and will be somewhere familiar - all of which is really important while still dealing with health challenges.

Various friends and family will be joining along the way, though most don't have any solid dates right now. I do know that DMOM will be joining us once we get to the Carousel. We were able to get rooms on the same floor.

Now that we've covered the who, what, when, where, and why, let's get on with the details!

Our Plans:

December 6th: We'll be taking the only non-stop flight to LAX from our teeny-tiny airport....at 6:30AM . We are NOT morning people, so this should be interesting! Since this day will be all about Los Angeles, we'll be staying at the Doubletree in Culver City. They have a free airport shuttle, which is quite handy. After getting to the hotel (at around 9:30AM), we'll either go to our room (if it's ready), or leave our luggage at the desk so we can catch a cab to the Museum of Tolerance.

DD has wanted to visit this museum for a few years now, so I decided it'd be a good idea to make it happen since we've had to postpone her graduation present for so long. She's thrilled! This will be an all-day activity, so we'll likely grab lunch and dinner around the museum before heading back to the hotel to get some much-needed rest.

December 7th: We'll check out of the hotel and leave our bags at the front desk. Since we've never been to Hollywood, we decided to spend a bit of time milling around in that area. We plan to visit the wax museum, the Disney Soda Shop, the walk of fame, and Hard Rock Cafe. Since I'll be in a manual wheelchair, we'll be taking things slow so as not to be exhausted when we reach our REAL destination the next day! After we've had enough of that area, we'll head back to the hotel, grab our luggage, catch the hotel's shuttle BACK to the airport to catch the Disneyland Express. We found this to be the most cost effective way to get to DLR.

After our LONG shuttle ride to the Carousel, we'll meet up with DMOM (who arrives that day), check in, and drop into bed.

December 8th: After receiving my rental scooter, it'll be time for our FIRST PARK DAY!!! Originally I had planned for us to be in Disneyland since I always like to start the trip with a long gaze at the castle, but I'm starting to rethink that choice. The crowd predictions are 8/10 in that park, so we may start at DCA. Maybe we'll go into DL to start the day, then move over to the less poplulated park for the rest of the day. I'm not sure yet.

December 9th: Since it's predicted to be another high-crowd day at DL, we'll be hanging out at DCA.

December 10th: We'll be starting the day with a MINNIE and FRIENDS brunch before exploring my favorite park.

December 11th: We'll be starting the day with a STORYTELLER'S brunch, and ending it with dessert seating for FANTASMIC

December 12th: No solid plans yet, but we'll be in the parks.

December 13th: Thanks to a late flight out of LAX, we'll be able to spend most of the day in the parks. We'll take the DL Express back to LAX late in the afternoon, and arrive back home just before midnight.

Food, Food, and More Food:
    Our hotel has a free continental breakfast, so we will be using this service on most days (when we're not dining with our favorite characters). We're also going to have groceries delivered, so will be able to eat one other meal in the rooms. This will be a good excuse to go back to the room for a much needed - and medically necessary - rest every day. In the past, we've only used table service restaurants. This time we'll be mixing it up a bit. Some meals will be at our favorites - Carnation Cafe, Cafe Orleans, and Rancho Del Zocalo. Others will be counter service establishments, though we're not sure which ones we'll use.

So far, that's it! Not bad for 8 months and 2 weeks before the trip

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Escape2Disney View Post
    December 11th: We'll be starting the day with a STORYTELLER'S brunch, and ending it with dessert seating for FANTASMIC
    Just a warning, if my calendar is correct, Dec 11th is a Tues, and they do not do Fantasmic! on weekdays during the off season. There is also a very good chance the 10th and 11th will be cast member parties, meaning Disneyland will close at 6pm.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Just a warning, if my calendar is correct, Dec 11th is a Tues, and they do not do Fantasmic! on weekdays during the off season. There is also a very good chance the 10th and 11th will be cast member parties, meaning Disneyland will close at 6pm.
    Thanks for the info! I'm fine w/moving Fantasmic! to another day if needed. Oddly enough, my DD would be FINE with DL closing early a couple of those days. She worries that I don't rest when I should - having the park close early will make her relax about that a bit LOL.

Do you know if DCA is open later than 6PM on cast party days?

Blog Entries
    Do you know if DCA is open later than 6PM on cast party days?
    Yes. DL usually opens at 10, but on CM Party days, they have opened at 8 in prior years. DCA usually stays open until 8 or 9.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Good idea to make the visit to the Museum of Tolerance a whole day event. We visited a few years ago, and it was a very moving experience. Afterward, we needed plenty of time to process and discuss the exhibits. So a flexible schedule for that day is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Good idea to make the visit to the Museum of Tolerance a whole day event. We visited a few years ago, and it was a very moving experience. Afterward, we needed plenty of time to process and discuss the exhibits. So a flexible schedule for that day is a plus.
    That was our thinking as well. It looks like a fascinating museum, but I'm sure it'll prompt much thought and discussion. It didn't feel right to head off to hollywood after visiting - dinner and discussion sounded more appropriate for the day.

DD and I LOVE museums; especially ones that prompt critical thinking and discussion. For us, this sounds like the perfect start to a vacation!

Getting Around Los Angeles
    Today I seem to be completely OBSESSED with how we will get around during the Los Angeles portion of our trip! You see, the problem is, I'm cheap. I'm also in need of creature comforts like quick and comfortable transportation. So the search begins....

We'll be arriving at LAX by around 8:30 AM.

Here's where I have trouble. We want to be at the Museum of Tolerance by 11-12 so we can see as many of the exhibits as possible before they close at 5. We're also planning to do the hollywood thing the next day. Here are our options:

• We can figure out the bus system. With this choice, we'd take the shuttle to our hotel first, then find a bus. The challenge here is that at this point in the trip I'll have a manual wheelchair and my service dog. We won't have a scooter until we reach DLR, so foot searches for bus stops seems a bit overwhelming. We also have no idea about the area, so I'm a bit scared of getting lost. On a positive note, it'd be the most cost effective. Is anyone familiar with the bus system from the hotel to the museum and hollywood?
    • Find a tour bus. This is the least likely solution. I've searched and searched but can't find one that picks up at that hotel and goes to that museum OR hollywood. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.
    • Rent a car at the airport. As mentioned before, I'm cheap and don't know the area. If all other options fail, I could bring a GPS and rent a car. I've checked on a 2-day car rental, and it's about $90. Add gas, and we're looking at around $150. Pretty close to what I have budgeted for cabs (see below) If anyone knows of a fabulous discount code for a car rental, please let me know.
    • Take a cab. With this choice, we'd take the shuttle to our hotel first, then catch a cab. I have this option mapped out, including quotes from the cab company. It certainly isn't a cheap option (approx $150 for 2 days), but may be the least stressful.

I know this seems like a lot of attention to one teeny tiny detail, but it's really bugging me! For those of you used to the area, what would you do?

I completely agree. I went about 5-6 years ago with my mom. It was very moving. Do they still have the Billy Crystal exhibit?
    Siggy aka Jill

I would think the Museum of Tolerance is close enough to Culver City that a cab ride would work. Not sure where Grayline busses start from, but that might be an option for Hollywood.http://www.grayline.com/United_State...us_Stars_Homes

Siggy aka Jill

Getting Around Los Angeles
    [*]Rent a car at the airport. As mentioned before, I'm cheap and don't know the area. If all other options fail, I could bring a GPS and rent a car. I've checked on a 2-day car rental, and it's about $90. Add gas, and we're looking at around $150. Pretty close to what I have budgeted for cabs (see below) If anyone knows of a fabulous discount code for a car rental, please let me know.[*]
    Renting a car would give you a lot of flexibility with schedules and locations. You could visit another museum (e.g. the Getty, not too far from the Museum of Tolerance) or have a greater selection of restaurant choices, since you would be able to stray off the bus routes and wouldn't have to worry about increasing the cab fares.
    Here is the MouseSavers page for rental car discount codes: http://www.mousesavers.com/rentalcar.html#dlneed.
    Hope it helps!

Good points! True - the MOT is an easy cab ride. Where we get into pricey cab rides is the next day when we go to Hollywood. The tour bus would work, but only for a ride-through (from what I saw on the page). I think we're going to want a little more independence.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of getting to The Getty - it's certainly one we want to go to, but were afraid we'd run out of time or out of cab fare. I'll check priceline along with the discount codes to see if a rental car is practical.

This feedback is great! It's helping me hone in on my plans and makes it a lot more fun

UPDATES

• Transportation: The prospect of getting to The Getty has won out. My DD - an artist - couldn't pass up the opportunity to check it out. It looks like I'll be getting a car for a day and a half. I'm going to try to go to a rental car company today to see which category of car will hold my wheelchair before booking. I have a decent rate (thank you, tea4two), but will try Priceline first to see if I can inch the price even lower. Has anyone ever used priceline for a car rental before?
    • Museums: We're going to try to squeeze a few hours into the 2nd day for going to The Getty. I wish we had more time, but we can't afford to add an extra day.
    • Schedule: As Malcon10t pointed out, Fantasmic may not be showing on the day we planned to go. We'll be going on the 9th instead.

DMOM is a retired government employee, so she's working on purchasing park tickets through MWR. I don't know what the price of those tickets are yet, so I'm anxiously waiting to find out! I like to keep an accurate budget.

IF we save enough on the price of the tickets, I was thinking about adding the holiday tour. I've heard great things about it, but am concerned since I'll have the scooter and my service dog. How practical would the tour be for someone like me?

Speaking of scooters, I reserved mine last week through Deckerts, and it was $65 less than I had planned!

QUESTIONS

As I started finalizing plans, I came up with a few questions:

• Are there going to be any table service restaurants that require reservations?
    • DD and I have quite a few food allergies and food sensitivities. Someone mentioned there was a way to call in advance for table service restaurants to pre-order things we could eat. Is that true? What's the number? It sure would be nice to eat an entire meal instead of picking around things we can't have.
    • When will menus be available for new restaurants?
    • We'll have people floating in and out of this vacation. If you had to pick an easy place for people to meet BEFORE going into the park, where would you choose? How about if we were meeting in DL or DCA?
    • Do table service restaurants have a limit on the number of people in a party?
    • Do each of the DL hotels have unique displays for Christmas that are worth seeing?
    • When renting a car at LAX, is the rental counter anywhere near Terminal 6? That's where all Alaska Airline flights land apparently.

That's it for now! I'll write more as it comes up. Can you tell I'm an over-planner? Some think it's a character flaw - I think it's a simple love for all things Disney.

UPDATES...

As I started finalizing plans, I came up with a few questions:

• Are there going to be any table service restaurants that require reservations?
      Other than the usual suspects (e.g. Blue Bayou, Big Thunder BBQ, Carnation Cafe, etc.?) It never hurts to have reservations in advance -- gives you one less thing to worry about!
    • DD and I have quite a few food allergies and food sensitivities. Someone mentioned there was a way to call in advance for table service restaurants to pre-order things we could eat. Is that true? What's the number? It sure would be nice to eat an entire meal instead of picking around things we can't have.
      Try calling the Dine Line (714-781-DINE) to ask about this. The CM should be able to answer your questions or refer you to someone who can give you more info about this. Also, you can email Guest Services and see what they say.
    • When will menus be available for new restaurants?
      Carnation Cafe should have their menu up this summer (keep watching MP for updates). Any other restaurants you had in mind?
    • We'll have people floating in and out of this vacation. If you had to pick an easy place for people to meet BEFORE going into the park, where would you choose? How about if we were meeting in DL or DCA?
      We've had good experiences meeting people at La Brea Bakery in DtD. If there will be several separate checks, we find it easier to use the take-out side. For DL, we've really had fun at Big Thunder BBQ (easier with a reservation) or Plaza Inn (most people like fried chicken). For DCA, we like the Paradise Gardens area by Goofy's Sky School -- lots of tables, lots of food choices, no feeling rushed.
    • Do table service restaurants have a limit on the number of people in a party?
      Again, ask when you call the Dine Line -- they should have the latest information on this.
    • Do each of the DL hotels have unique displays for Christmas that are worth seeing?
      "Unique" can mean different things to different people,, but we like the displays at the hotels. The tree in the GCH lobby is our favorite display -- always lovely -- just remember that there can be a long line to get a photo. Last year, the futuristic tree in the DLH lobby was really cute.
    • When renting a car at LAX, is the rental counter anywhere near Terminal 6? That's where all Alaska Airline flights land apparently.
      Don't know about this -- hopefully someone else can help you here.
    Hope your planning is going well!

Thanks, Tea4Two! I mis-typed that first and 3rd questions. What I meant to ask was are there going to be any TS restaurants in Carsland that would require reservations, and what new restaurants will be in DCA. I haven't been able to find out anything about dining in that 'land' yet and was wondering if anyone had the inside scoop.

I like your suggestions for meeting places. I'll pass the menus around and see what everyone thinks.

I'll call the Dine Line to find out about the food allergy issues.

With all of these people - many of which don't know eachother - I like the idea of having planned TS meals and then encouraging people to do their own thing the rest of the day. Sure, we'll probably spend lots of time together, but I don't want to be responsible for everyone's happiness.

Thanks for all of the feedback! It's so nice to talk about the trip with other Disney fanatics

I haven't heard about any TS restaurants in Cars Land. The food venues seemed to be QS and pretty casual. There will be a steakhouse in the Carthay Circle Theater. That will require reservations. Also requiring reservations are the WOC dining packages. If the budget allows and all participants are game, that would give you a chance to have a nice dinner (generous portions! We took lots of leftovers in to-go boxes) with plenty of time to chat and connect/reconnect while waiting for your viewing spot. Since the earliest reservations for the package are late afternoon (4:30 PM at WCT or 5:00 PM at AG), people would be able to have fun all day before meeting up.

STARTING TO COME TOGETHER
    As of today, both hotels are booked, the scooter is booked, and airfare has been purchased. Not too bad, if I do say so myself!

In an effort to do as much in advance as possible, I'll be buying park tickets soon. I'm trying to get that done before the looming possibility of an increase. We found out that MWR doesn't offer 6-day tickets, so we're just going to buy them from the DL website. I can't WAIT to get those tickets in hand!!

One of the hotels and the car rental company have pre-payment discounts, so I'll probably do that this week as well.

BEYOND FINANCES
    Now that all of the finances are in order, the fun can begin! My mom hasn't been to the parks for at least 3 decades, so she has no idea what's available now! She was concerned that more than a day was overkill, though I tried to explain that many days would be necessary to enjoy all there is to offer. We came to a compromise - She is buying 6-day hoppers, but is also renting a car. I told her if at any point she felt like she had enough of the parks and surounding areas, I would be happy to direct her to other fun stuff to do in LA. I know, I know, what else could possibly be more fun than Disney?? I honestly think she'll be content hanging out at DLR, but I think she just felt happier having an 'escape hatch' if she got bored.

Now that Mom's on board, my next step is to see what dates my DSIS and DBIL will be attending. More than likely it will be 3-4 days that span a weekend. Once their dates are chosen, we will all get together on a skype call so mom, DSIS, and DBIL can let me know what their 'must haves' are so I can build a schedule.

Sometime during the trip a few more friends will be dropping by:
    • A couple from SD will be joining us for 2 days
    • One friend from OR and one from AZ will be there 1-3 days
    • Two awesome friends from LA plan to join us for part of a day
    • Potentially 2 more family members from So Cal for 1 day

NONE of the people on this list have solidified dates.

It's been a very long time since I've planned something for such a large group of people constantly coming and going. I'm really thinking of planning meals and shows only. I can let everyone know when/where we plan to eat and watch the shows, and they can join if they choose. Otherwise people can just explore on their own. Anyone here have experience with groups like this? Any suggestions/thoughts?

There will be a lag in my rambling report next week because I have to have minor surgery on Wednesday. Once I'm coherent again, I'll be back to my planning frenzy!

I wanted to thank everyone who's following this PTR (and eventual TR). All of the feedback has been great! Keep it coming!

...[*]When renting a car at LAX, is the rental counter anywhere near Terminal 6? That's where all Alaska Airline flights land apparently.[/LIST]
    If I remember correctly (it's been a while since we've done this), the rental car agencies are off site at LAX. You arrive and go through baggage claim, then exit to the medians which are marked for shuttles. Make sure that you are at the pick-up for rental shuttles, not hotel shuttles. The shuttle will take you and your luggage to the rental agency.

Also, regarding your question about the holiday tour, we had someone on our tour last year in an ECV, and there were no problems that I noticed. The woman did have to wait a little longer in line for HM and she met us at an agreed location instead of taking the train from NOS station. I think if you ask about this when you make your reservations for the tour, CMs will be able to give you more specific info. The holiday tour is lots of fun and it's something we enjoy now as one of our holiday traditions.

And I hope your surgery goes well and that your recovery is quick!

If I remember correctly (it's been a while since we've done this), the rental car agencies are off site at LAX. You arrive and go through baggage claim, then exit to the medians which are marked for shuttles. Make sure that you are at the pick-up for rental shuttles, not hotel shuttles. The shuttle will take you and your luggage to the rental agency.

Also, regarding your question about the holiday tour, we had someone on our tour last year in an ECV, and there were no problems that I noticed. The woman did have to wait a little longer in line for HM and she met us at an agreed location instead of taking the train from NOS station. I think if you ask about this when you make your reservations for the tour, CMs will be able to give you more specific info. The holiday tour is lots of fun and it's something we enjoy now as one of our holiday traditions.

And I hope your surgery goes well and that your recovery is quick!

Thanks! With such a large airport, it's no surprise that the rental cars are offsite. As long as there is a shuttle and we're not dragging everything all over the place, it should work just fine. It sounds like they make reasonable accomodations on the tour. I'm not sure if anyone else in our part is interested, but I'll throw it out there and see what people think.

Thanks for the well-wishes! I'm sure it'll be a quick recovery! Planning a trip is a GREAT distraction

I just remembered that someone (lovechows??) posted that her holiday tour last year was not pleasant, in part because it was a later tour that left City Hall just as the parade was starting down Main Street, thus getting the group stuck and spread out across the horrible traffic and crowd congestion. We had the first tour of the day, which worked out well and allowed more freedom of movement for our tour guide. So, if you decide to do the tour, make sure to book the earlier/earliest one so you don't end up fighting traffic all the way in your ECV.

Great tip - thanks! I would NOT like to be fighting the congestion while trying to keep up with a walking group. If we do a tour, I'll be sure to make it an early one.

We have rented cars from LAX and my advice is plan for some time to get this done. In our experiences the lines are extremely long and slow moving. But your plan for arrival day sounds casual so that is good. It's so hard for me because your "there" and just want to go start your vacation but it seems like it takes so long.

Quote Originally Posted by letshavefun View Post
    We have rented cars from LAX and my advice is plan for some time to get this done. In our experiences the lines are extremely long and slow moving. But your plan for arrival day sounds casual so that is good. It's so hard for me because your "there" and just want to go start your vacation but it seems like it takes so long.
    Thanks for the warning. I think we'll be okay as long as we figure out the logistics of 2 carry-on bags, a suitcase, dog crate, me in the wheelchair w/my service dog, and only one person (my daughter) able to pull the luggage. I'm hoping there are carts at the airport!

After rereading your plan what about taking the hotel shuttle to your hotel then renting a car from that area, your hotel can probably help you out. It seems like that might be easier then having to deal with LAX and a car rental. You wouldn't have luggage to deal with and since you only need it for a day and a half it would be easier to return it as well. Having to go back to LAX to return the car seems time consuming and inconvenient. So many options good thing your planning ahead

Yes there are carts at the airport. G used on eto get herself plus luggage from the Southwest terminal to the International terminal. I had also suggested to her looking for a skycap. (Tip) money well spent in my opinion.

Be sure to check the website for the car rental company that you are using. For many rental car companies, if you sign up for their program, you get express check out and shorter lines to pick up your vehicle. The last time that I flew into LAX and rented a car, there was a long line at the normal check in counter. Since I had signed up for their program I bypassed that line and had to just wait for one other customer and was out in 5 minutes.

I don't know and I don't care if It's a Small World. It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland.