Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Renaissance Pleasure Faire

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Renaissance Pleasure Faire

Renaissance Faire Tips
    Today we attended the Original Renaissance Pleasure Faire (now through May 20, weekends only) in Irwindale, CA, in the Santa Fe Recreation Area.

Pros:
    Moonie--voted the best non-musical ren fair entertainer in 2011 by Ren Fair magazine. He is the biggest reason to attend the fair. We also loved Broon as a solo act and with his end of the day show with Moonie. Unlike last year, this years faire also has another act that is in Moonie & Broon's league: a juggling/comedy trio: London Broil. Unfortunately next weekend will be the second and last weekend for London Broil, so next weekend (April 21 or 22) would be good days to visit. (Also, on April 21 & 22, kids are free with a coupon you can print out from their website, and two of the original members of the Reduced Shakespeare Company will reprise their 30-minute Hamlet.) The kids stage had Merlin the Magician who put on a good show for younger kids. And the Magnificent Humble Boys were worthwhile.

Cons:
    The food is overpriced so I would try to sneak in as much food and water as possible in a backpack. If you buy their food, I recommend the "Steak on a Stick," the sherbet packed in real fruits shells/slkins/peels, and the chopped apples covered in toffee, or other toppings.Restrooms on the ground are mostly port-a-potties--so that's kind of nasty, with few sinks nearby (with no soap or ways to dry hands nearby.) And exiting the parking lot and the dam area (there is no "M" in this "dam") couldn't have been much worse. It made up appreciate that we have never been in a traffic jam leaving Disneyland's parking lot.

We avoided all of the many games, the many cool shops, and the jousting--because that show disappointed us last year. My daughter had a nice long conversation with a knight about his outfit and enjoyed the rides she want on The Faire is celebrating it's 50th anniversary, but you would hardly know it since they barely mention it anywhere. This location is dusty, so the faire should try for new grounds.

Still, I give this fair an enthusiastic thumbs up.

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

Sorry about all of the typos! Too late to make edits with Mouseplanet's one-hour correction window. For a better version of the above post go to Miceage.com.