Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Upgrading DL AP on monthly payment plan to a Premier Pass in WDW

Upgrading DL AP on monthly payment plan to a Premier Pass in WDW

If I have a DL AP on the monthly payment plan do I have to pay it off if I upgrade to a Premier? I'd upgrade in WDW, which I think may matter in this case. If heard reports that you'd have to pay it off, but those reports are also from people upgrading AT the park they hold the payment plan with. Ive also heard reports that people didn't have to pay it off, but they upgraded a WDW AP in DL. So anyone have experience with this type of upgrade?

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

2. # ADS

I don't know specifics, but make sure you allot plenty of time for the process. It can take a while for them to process the upgrade. Also make sure you have all physical media with you (AP, ID, etc.).

Not sure Shannon, I'm renewing in May and need to figure out how it will work too.
    I'm assuming for us we pay the difference of the premiere vs the premium and put the rest on the payment plan. ??

HB: I know you can't just get the Premiere on the payment plan, only the DL APs. And if you upgrade from one DL AP to another DL AP, the payment plan remains the same and you just pay the difference.

I'm not worried about time constraints as it'll be just me and DH (and likely just me at the time of the upgrade because he'll be at a conference).

I've done the upgrade, but not the payment plans.

When you upgrade from a lower level pass to a higher pass (excluding the Premiere) I thought that you had the pay the upgrade difference immediately but that the monthly payments did not change. I would think that it was something similar here. Since this is uncommon enough, I would recommend a phone call or three to Disney. If all three calls say the same thing, you should be good

When I upgraded at WDW in Downtown Disney, they did take may pass into the back to confirm what it was worth. But they then gave me full value of its current cost, and not the discounted amount that I actually paid, so I'm not sure what they were actually checking.

Someone on the Disboards just read their contract and it states that only the difference has to be paid at the time of the upgrade.

HB, it looks like you should get the DL PAP on the monthly plan, then upgrade to the premier.

I will have to do the math to see if it'd be worth it for me. I'd have to make a trip to activate my DL AP before my WDW trip, because I'd assume I couldn't upgrade from a voucher (maybe I can?).

Depending on how long your WDW trip it, it could make sense to do the annual pass in reverse. Get a WDW pass while you are there then upgrade it to the Premiere the next time you are at DL. I don't think you could do the DL monthly payments that way, but you would have a slightly later expiration date than if you tried to squeeze in a DL trip before you left for WDW. I don't know how long you are in WDW, so I don't know what the price difference will be.

When we went, since I already had a DL Premium pass, it made sense to upgrade mine to the Premiere. But since my DH only has a Deluxe, it was cheaper to buy him WDW tickets just for the length of our stay.

We were going to get just one PAP (the other 5 DAPs) for the added discounts and go to DL in December then for a week next July with my family (11 of us for this trip). For $10 more per month it's worth it. Our WDW trip will be about 5-6 days in the park for me (DH will be in meetings 3 days). But because of his limited time in the parks we'd probably do PHs. A 5 day PH is $306 + tax. Not a huge savings unless I got a good AP rate for the hotel and I'd have to do the math on TIW (we will definitely try a couple of signature restaurants).

Last edited by 3Princesses1Prince; 03-21-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Don't call me Grumpy! CMHusband's Avatar

you should be able to upgrade here at DL or at WDW - All you do is keep making the monthly payments on your contract and pay the difference in full for the premier pass.
    If you have a voucher for a DL pass, you are right. it needs to be activated here at DL before you can upgrade it. A side note: you can activate and upgrade your passes to premier now at the Toy Story parking lot ticket kiosks. (but they close early, like 1 pm everyday) as well as the ticket booths.

Check out my Walt's Apartment tour on flickr here http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7625183415995/

Thanks! Hmmm it looks like I'll HAVE to do Fall MA.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Friend of Figment

The Disney Premier Passport is not eligible, either in California or Florida, for the Monthly Payment Plan. If you have a park pass on MPP and you want to upgrade to a Premier Passport you must pay off the MPP contract in full, as well as the upgrade price.

I know at WDW if you upgrade from one level of AP to a higher level of WDW-only AP and the pass you are upgrading from is on the MPP, the MPP payments continue for that pass but the amount of the upgrade must be paid in full.

Disneyland Trips: 13 trips for 49 nights.
    But I live less than 20 miles from Walt Disney World! And work there part-time.

For more information about Disabled Access to Disney World and nearby areas, check this out. Or for tickets, check out my Everything About WDW Tickets post.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
    The Disney Premier Passport is not eligible, either in California or Florida, for the Monthly Payment Plan. If you have a park pass on MPP and you want to upgrade to a Premier Passport you must pay off the MPP contract in full, as well as the upgrade price.
    Can your computer systems tell if a CA pass is on the monthly payment plan or if it has been paid in full? That could have been what they were checking when they disappeared with my pass. I'm just curious how your system is set up to deal with California passes (if you know).

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Can your computer systems tell if a CA pass is on the monthly payment plan or if it has been paid in full? That could have been what they were checking when they disappeared with my pass. I'm just curious how your system is set up to deal with California passes (if you know).
    I'm also curious how WDW could enforce this for DL passes since my understanding is the DL monthly payment contract says we DON'T have to pay it off.