Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Trading Pins....

Read to your children...

Trading Pins....

Last night my 2 older girls got out their lanyards with pins on them to look at and also to remind me that they want to pack them to take on our DL vacation.
    I felt sorry for my youngest, who doesn't have one! This will be her first trip and she is 8. She has had 2 of her disney vacations canceled for one reason or another. My heart broke for her last night as she tried so hard not to cry about not having one saying that now she cant join her sisters in pin trading. I tried to explain to her that she will get started, slowly but surely. She just kept saying "That's ok Mom, I'll go with out any pins"
    I thought planning for disney vacations were supposed to be fun!

2. # ADS

Maybe get her a starter set. If you have time before your trip, check eBay for some good deals.

Read to your children...

I just started looking there, and think I will suprise her with some starters.

Quote Originally Posted by ima_mickeyfan View Post
    I just started looking there, and think I will suprise her with some starters.
    This seller has good deals on lots.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/423disneypin...1&_from=&_ipg=

Be VERY careful buying disney pins off ebay. Alot of people sell fakes. Then people thinking that they can get 100 pins for less then $1 a piece that they can trade in the parks start trading these fakes. Then the cast member trade thoes pins and people and disney both get hurt in the end. In a no win situation. If caught trading pins it can cause some serious reprocusions. I have traded my disney bought pins for ones I have really wanted only to find out after they are fakes. It upsets me because most the time it is a pin I need to finish a set.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAlwaysCrazy View Post
    Be VERY careful buying disney pins off ebay. Alot of people sell fakes. Then people thinking that they can get 100 pins for less then $1 a piece that they can trade in the parks start trading these fakes. Then the cast member trade thoes pins and people and disney both get hurt in the end. In a no win situation. If caught trading pins it can cause some serious reprocusions. I have traded my disney bought pins for ones I have really wanted only to find out after they are fakes. It upsets me because most the time it is a pin I need to finish a set.

How can you tell if the pins are real or fake?

If you google it you should be able to find sites that will tell you. When I was buying some off eBay I knew but now I can't remember. I never had a problem buying individual pins. I think the real problem comes in the big lots of them. It's a great way to get some pins they can trade because you don't necessarily want to trade your favorites that you buy.

When our kids were getting their lanyards they were so excited. They planned what they were going to buy. Buzz is one of our first rides and they knew that they'd get it after Buzz. Make a big deal out of the plan to get hers. She'll love the whole thing. I'd let her pick it all out. But it would be a fun surprise for everyone if you then gave them trade able pins.

I bought some off of Ebay. I only bought 5 or so though. Be sure to check seller ratings. Usually if they sell poor quality items people will mark. All of mine were basic pins (ie. just a Mickey head shape, or a small flag), but they all had the stamp on the back that says official pin trading. One was Disney World specific, but it doesn't really matter. Like TTFN said, you don't need them to be great ones if you just want some to trade. I have a very nice one I bought at Disney World, and I have a Mickey Mouse-Jack Skellington pin I got at Halloween time, those pins I will not trade. I have traded all of my original starter pins away (except my Goofy), and most of the ones I bought on Ebay. I am not a pin collector though. I only have 12 pins, and I like to trade them and get new ones. For your girls' purposes, I would say buying them on Ebay should be fairly simple, since they just want to trade. But, I wouldn't buy a lot of 50 because you never know what you might get.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by corsautfamily View Post
    How can you tell if the pins are real or fake?
    My son uses http://pinpics.com/ to determine if his pins are good or not. But this is usually after he gets them.
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

they have a few sets and lanyards on disneystore.com of get her a gift card to start her colection make that her first stop to start her colection

I guess if you're worried about the authenticity, Disney Store is the way to go. MouseShoppe also has trading sets, and I think they guarantee they're authentic as well.

Blog Entries

if you aren't going to the parks just as soon as you get there, buy a starter set of the mini pins at either World of Disney or the pin kiosk at DT Disney. The cast members don't care if the pins are small, big, whatever when it comes to trading with the kids. They are given pins to trade and will happily let the kiddos choose one from their own lanyard to give to the CM. The Cast members are always the easiest to trade with and some have "kids only" sashes or lanyards. Remember to fasten those backs to the pins slightly crooked so you sort of make a new whole and it holds tight. My son isn't as careful with his lanyard as I am with mine and typically, we heard a pin clink onto the ground at one point in our trip. Luckily, we always find it and fix it up. No lost pins yet, but YIPES! I'd hate to loose one! Those things, especially the cools ones, are kinda pricey!

WDW June 1990-Buena Vista Palace, DL Aug 2001-Pasadena House, DL June 2006-Paradise Pier, DL June 2007-Paradise Pier, WDW Dec 2008-Royal Plaza, DL Nov 2011-Best Western Courtesy Inn, DL July 2012-Best Western Plus Stovall's Inn, DL May 2013-Holiday Inn on Walnut, PENDING DL Aug 2013 D23 Expo-Best Western Raffels