Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Park Vue or Candy Cane

Park Vue or Candy Cane

I am looking to book a hotel within walking distance of DL for Memorial Day weekend, which is my birthday weekend. I usually spend it at WDW but my friend is treating me to DL. I was there once before for 1 day with my son who doesn't like Disney so we did a few rides then left for the pool. this trip will be 4 days of Disney.
    I can't see paying for a DL hotel since we will be sleeping there and spending all day and evening at the parks. I read reviews of both of these hotels and they both seem nice. I do like the King room with jacuzzi in the room..... and the birthday basket at Park Vue, but everyone seems to rave about Candy Cane.
    Does anyone have anything they can say to convince me one over the other.

2. # ADS

I am a firm believer in the Candy Cane. In fact if It is full, I usually postpone my trip. (But I will do HoJo's if need be). The staff is wonderful and the beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in. They are soft if that is what you prefer. Rooms are immaculate and it is definitely within walking distance to the parks. They do have their own shuttle if that helps. You can't go wrong there.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

Agree about the great staff and service at the Candy Cane. We arranged for friends to stay there (a family of 4 in a premium room). Our friends speak very little English and were understandably nervous about possible problems arising. They needn't have worried. The CCI staff took great care of them!

Blog Entries

I can't claim knowledge of Park Vue. The one time we planned to stay there we ended up having to cancel.

I am a fan of the Candy Cane, among other hotels, staying as recently as last week. This time I had to take a standard room instead of my usual premium room. A handicapped room was all thet had available but I think I actually preferred its bathroom layout; more spacious than other bathrooms. At least it felt that way.

Here is an old thread that's actually about about Hojo's but on post four, you will see threads/posts that have the pros and cons of the Candy Cane. It's an older thread, but little has changed.

If you read far enough, you see one long-time padder and I have come to enjoy each other's hotel of choice, with me preferring Residence Inn for groups or longer trips and her sometimes visiting the Candy Cane.

I'm sure you have a good stay whichever you choose.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Hi!

The first place that I check for my clients is the Candy Cane Inn - lovely grounds, wonderful and friendly service, breakfast, beautiful flowers and landscape, and just across the parking lot from Disneyland and California Adventure entrances. It has been a Disneyland tradition for years. It is really convenient if you want to have easy access to the parks, but don't want to stay on-site. You can even see the fireworks from Disneyland, just outside the Candy Cane Inn.

Best Regards,
    Julia Elzie
    Independent Vacation Planner
    MEI-Travel and Mouse Fan Travel
    http://www.mousefantravel.com
    E-mail: juliae@mei-travel.com

Last edited by juliae; 03-22-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: signature update

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    If you read far enough, you see one long-time padder and I have come to enjoy each other's hotel of choice, with me preferring Residence Inn for groups or longer trips and her sometimes visiting the Candy Cane.

I'm sure you have a good stay whichever you choose.
    Yep, we do! The premium rooms at the Candy Cane have that little touch of pampering that puts it over the top. I agree with the space for the bathroom. If we didn't need the extra space for a roll away, I'd prefer the HA room. I love how large the bathroom is.

You will enjoy which ever you decide.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    agree with the space for the bathroom. If we didn't need the extra space for a roll away, I'd prefer the HA room. I love how large the bathroom is.
    That was actually a very pleasant surprise. One of my few quibbles with the Candy Cane is that, as a refurbished motel, the shower space leaves something to be desired. I'm not sure what they did in the handicapped rooms (moved a wall?), but it was so much nicer, even just for one person.
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

That was actually a very pleasant surprise. One of my few quibbles with the Candy Cane is that, as a refurbished motel, the shower space leaves something to be desired. I'm not sure what they did in the handicapped rooms (moved a wall?), but it was so much nicer, even just for one person.
    Do they have roll in showers?
    Siggy aka Jill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    Do they have roll in showers?
    No, they do not, but they have a shower seat for the tub.

What are the extras of the premium room?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    What are the extras of the premium room?
    It's bigger, extra toiletries and nicer ones, ROBES, they bring breakfast to you, microwave, extended checkout, free DVD rentals, biscotti and water.

I think there are cookies and milk at night with the turndown service.

There is a welcome gift that I think is popcorn to go with your movies but it's been a while. Mal will know.

And ROBES.

No, they do not, but they have a shower seat for the tub.
    Thanks.
    Siggy aka Jill

Blog Entries
    It's bigger, extra toiletries and nicer ones, ROBES, they bring breakfast to you, microwave, extended checkout, free DVD rentals, biscotti and water.

I think there are cookies and milk at night with the turndown service.

There is a welcome gift that I think is popcorn to go with your movies but it's been a while. Mal will know.

And ROBES.
    There's robes... The welcome package has popcorn, a package of homemade type cookies that are realllllly good, granola bars, rice krispie treats, and DVD rentals. BREAKFAST in the room!! Nice, to have it delivered at the time you request... While we often will eat a real breakfast in the park about 10, I usually have fruit and bagels delivered at 630a (when I wake up) to have with the newspaper... And they have robes!!! (My kids have always loved having robes in the hotel... We used to stay at the Hilton on the Executive floor, where robes were a perk, and the conceirge knew us well enough that when we arrived, she made sure we had *4* instead of 2, so there were no fights over robes...) And they have turn down service, and flowers in the room.

Blog Entries
    And they have turn down service, and flowers in the room.
    Oh, the flowers. That's what I was forgetting.

That sounds fun. Maybe something to look into for our anniversary. I don't like robes so that's not a big deal. They do look nice hanging there though . What exactly is a turn down service?

I just went and checked prices and there was no premium king. Is that correct or is it something you can request if you call? Also what is included in the regular breakfast?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    I just went and checked prices and there was no premium king. Is that correct or is it something you can request if you call? Also what is included in the regular breakfast?
    No, there is no premium king.

When they do the turn down service (turn the bed down, prep for sleep, replace any dirty towels) they leave a menu. You check what you would like and the amount. Examples of what is on the menu... Muffins (check the ones you want), donuts, toast, bagels, various cereals, oatmeal, various fruits, various juices, milk, chocolate milk, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, and I can't remember what else. You then check a time frame you want it delivered. You put the slip on your door before 1am, and they pick them up and deliver.

Well that's a bummer. A king is a must for our anniv and I was thinking the premium sounded like a great way to go. We may still do the regular room. I would like to try something different. When we have the kids I like to stay across the street but with just the 2 of us the shuttle would work. I'm also thinking about Park Vue. Their breakfast sounds good. I really like Carousel's beds but we've stayed there so I'm not sure. Decisions, decisions.

Blog Entries

A couple of quick thoughts. My wife and I have stayed at both the Park Vue and the CCI and the Candy Cane wins hands down despite the Park Vue's close proximity to the park entrance. In fact, the Candy Cane is the only place we will stay outside of a Disney property on our trips. The reasons are in this thread and countless others - a great staff, very clean, and the grounds are step above the traditional motel type atmosphere. Also check out tripadvisor.com for their huge repository of CCI reviews. Now for the premium rooms, the one oddity is the premium rooms are the furthest rooms away from Harbor Blvd. Quieter back there right? Maybe but the lease expensive standard rooms are all right in the front part of the property and its a hop, skip, and a jump to the front desk, the breakfast buffet, the pool, and the shuttle. The cheapest rooms have the most convenience at their doorstep. Not that this is a huge issue because the property isn't that large to begin with. Also, I have never had a problem with a network signal for my laptop in a premium room for some reason. In the past, the standard rooms wireless connection is kind of hit or miss. Strange.

Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time.

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

105000 page views and counting

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar

I have not stayed at CCI, but I have stayed at Park Vue and we will be going there! You can't beat the location, and since we spent very little time in our rooms during that trip (8 of us- 6 adults and two kids) Park Vue was perfect. The rooms were comfy, clean, and quiet. The breakfast was fine ( I remember eggs, a breakfast meat, hash browns, cereal, toast, waffle makers, muffins, donuts, fruit, yogurt, granola, and a soda/juice machine) and we ate it all 3 mornings.

The talk of breakfast being brought to your room reminds me of our favorite places to stay in Laguna Beach and Pismo Beach and just how long it's been since we've stayed at either place!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dban3 View Post
    A couple of quick thoughts. My wife and I have stayed at both the Park Vue and the CCI and the Candy Cane wins hands down despite the Park Vue's close proximity to the park entrance. In fact, the Candy Cane is the only place we will stay outside of a Disney property on our trips. The reasons are in this thread and countless others - a great staff, very clean, and the grounds are step above the traditional motel type atmosphere.
    Here's a funny part. I almost posted that I prefer CCI's pool because Park Vue's is in the parking lot. Well, CCI's is in the parking lot also, but because of how the whole motel feel is more boutique, you don't feel like it is in the parking lot!