Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Luigi's Flying Tires-Weight Limit?

Luigi's Flying Tires-Weight Limit?

I was just wondering if anyone's heard if Luigi's Flying Tires will have a weight limit for obese people? I believe Silly Symphony Swings has a limit of 250 lbs maximum. I may be wrong, but Luigi's seems like the kind of attraction where a weight restriction might be necessary. Does anyone have any info?

2. # ADS

In the preview video, J. Lassiter was riding with someone else, if I am not mistaken. That probably means that someone could ride solo up to a fairly high maximum weight, I would think.........

DL ~ June 1981 ~ March 2000 ~ Oct/Nov 2001 ~ March 2006 ~ Oct/Nov 2007 ~ March 2009 ~ Sept 2010 ~ March 2011 ~ Sept 2011 ~ Sept 2012 ~ Sept 2013 ~ Sept 2015 ~ Aug/Sept 2016
    WDW ~ March 2005 ~ Sept 2009 ~ Aug//Sept 2014
    DVC MEMBER since March 2011
    Next trip: WDW August 20-Sept 4

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone's heard if Luigi's Flying Tires will have a weight limit for obese people? I believe Silly Symphony Swings has a limit of 250 lbs maximum. I may be wrong, but Luigi's seems like the kind of attraction where a weight restriction might be necessary. Does anyone have any info?
    I'd think it's very safe to assume there will be some kind of weight limit. IIRC, the original Flying Saucers did, and this technology (while updated) still obeys the same laws of physics. At some point, you will wind up with too little lift to overcome the person's weight. Also, since you move the tire by shifting your weight, I'm assuming that means the tires are indeed air-filled, and someone that weighs too much could theoretically pop the tire by leaning too far to one side or something.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman559 View Post
    Also, since you move the tire by shifting your weight, I'm assuming that means the tires are indeed air-filled, and someone that weighs too much could theoretically pop the tire by leaning too far to one side or something.
    The original Flying Saucers also moved by shifting weight. I doubt the "tires" are inflated in any way. Regardless, if tires can cope with the weight of an SUV, I think they can cope with the weight of a tourist. Any weight issue would be in regard to the air pressure needed to float the tire.

A bientot
    "I'm not interested in what you did yesterday, because I'm not going to be there. I know I can do that. It's the next thing that I'm interested in" (Walt Disney)
    "Sometimes it's not to your benefit to mess with things that are above your reach. You don't want to show yourself to be too stupid." (Bob Dylan)

iceman, that image (some porker popping the tire) made me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    The original Flying Saucers also moved by shifting weight. I doubt the "tires" are inflated in any way. Regardless, if tires can cope with the weight of an SUV, I think they can cope with the weight of a tourist. Any weight issue would be in regard to the air pressure needed to float the tire.
    I highly highly doubt that the same "tire" that supports an SUV is being used for this ride. These cars are made to LOOK like tires. I'd be extremely surprised if they take an actual tire, throw a seat on top and send people out to bash them into each other.

Also, here's a link to a page of a patent filed in 1966 by Disney relating to the original Flying Saucers attraction. It clearly shows a plenum chamber underneath the car AS WELL AS underneath the surface. And realistically, you'd need it to be inflated in order to allow the guest to shift they weight enough to move the car with any speed. if the car is solid, you wouldn't really be able to go anywhere because you couldn't get enough tilt on the vehicle with the pressure underneath it. By having it inflated, it allows the air to shift from one side of the chamber to the other. It's just a matter of making sure that the material the chamber is made out of is flexible enough to shift like that, yet sturdy enough to resist breaking.

And, IIRC, the original Flying Saucers did have a weight limit for whatever reason it may be.

Does SSS have a 250 max? I didn't see it on the website last time it was brought up. I don't remember from our last trip. I know DH (large guy) didn't ride, but that was because we had 2 that weren't tall enough and didn't bother with rider swap so he could ride too.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Not sure of a weight limit on SSS, but I would think those seats would be a little snug on a large person. There may or may not be an official weight limit (I'm sure someone in the know will chime in), but I would think there'd be a comfort aspect involved.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    Does SSS have a 250 max? I didn't see it on the website last time it was brought up. I don't remember from our last trip. I know DH (large guy) didn't ride, but that was because we had 2 that weren't tall enough and didn't bother with rider swap so he could ride too.
    I think it had a weight limit when DCA first opened (when it was the Orange Stinger) but they removed that at some point well before it became SSS. I don't recall if there was a physical change in the equipment to allow dropping the weight limit, or if it was decided the physical limitations of the seats with the safety factor built into the supporting mechanism was enough to not blatantly have an upper weight limit.
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I think it had a weight limit when DCA first opened (when it was the Orange Stinger) but they removed that at some point well before it became SSS. I don't recall if there was a physical change in the equipment to allow dropping the weight limit, or if it was decided the physical limitations of the seats with the safety factor built into the supporting mechanism was enough to not blatantly have an upper weight limit.
    Yeah, there was a weight limit briefly when it first originally opened. There's a mention about in a 2010 Mouseplanet DLR Update when SSS opened. Link Relevant info is in the third paragraph under "Silly Symphony Swings debuts".

Based on the "briefly" emphasis, I assume it was determined that people who don't meet the weight requirement would otherwise be restricted from riding anyway.

It also appears that Jumpin' Jellyfish had a weight limit of 350 pounds per vehicle when it first opened as well.

Now, let's remember, though: EVERY ride has a weight limit. It's just that in most cases, the CMs are able to distribute people accordingly. When there's multiple people per vehicle, the CM has the ability to distribute them to "lighten the load". I see all the time when groups of large people walk up in Pirates or IASW and get placed no more than two people per row. I have even seen cases such as a group of two large people being placed on the next boat and the smaller couple right behind them get placed on the boarding boat. I've also been on Space Mountain when they have had to pull some people out of the rocket and put them on the next one for what I assume would be a weight issue since they asked each group had how many and pulled the smallest group off.

SSS would be a case where each vehicle only seats one person, so there's no way a CM could cover up the weight issue simply be adjusting distribution.

Now, one thing regarding LFT is that in pictures, there are sometimes two people per tire. Due to this, I would assume they can handle a decent amount of weight.

SSS would be a case where each vehicle only seats one person, so there's no way a CM could cover up the weight issue simply be adjusting distribution.

Now, one thing regarding LFT is that in pictures, there are sometimes two people per tire. Due to this, I would assume they can handle a decent amount of weight.
    There are 2 person seats on SSS. Kids 40-48" have to ride with someone (two over 48" cannot ride together though). We will have 2 in that range on our next trip, so if DH can't ride I'll have to ride twice (oldest isn't 14 so I can't stick one little one with her).
    Shannon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I believe Silly Symphony Swings has a limit of 250 lbs maximum.
    Actually, it doesn't. When the Orange Stinger opened back in 2000 or so, they did have a 200lb weight limit. After they refurbed it a couple years later, they did away with the weight limit.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Thanks, Malcon. I haven't ridden it in years but I remember around 8 years ago the CM asked the obese couple in front of us something about their weight.

I think this perfectly defines "irony":

An article posted on MiceChat today talked about Luigi's Flying Tires. Here's an excerpt:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    The tires at Luigi’s have reportedly been designed to maintain lift and maneuverability with up to 650 pounds of weight in them, and there will be no posted weight limit at the ride. The tires can comfortably seat up to two large adults, or even two adults and a child. There is, however, a height requirement of 32 inches for Luigi’s Flying Tires, the lowest height requirement ever for a Disney theme park.

The first time I went on SSS I was a little worried because I'm not a small person. I asked the CM and he said there is no limit, as long as I fit in the swing I was good. I've been three or four times and it hasn't snapped and flung me into the water yet, so I guess I'm OK. Can't wait for Luigi's, it looks fun.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

The lowest height requirement? Isn't Autopia 32"?

ETA: yep it is.

Shannon

I think this perfectly defines "irony":
    I hate to get pedantic, but either I don't see the irony or irony doesn't mean what you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I hate to get pedantic, but either I don't see the irony or irony doesn't mean what you think it does.
    The irony I refer to is that this question was posed yesterday and then an article was posted answering the exact question on a different website. Sure, if the "Mandy" Al Lutz was answering with that post is carolinakid, then it's really not ironic. But otherwise, I just find it ironic that after the question was posed on one site, it was answered by an unrelated person on another site the following day.

Perhaps I should have used the word "ironic" instead of "irony".

Per the Oxford English Dictionary online, ironic is defined as the following:

Quote Originally Posted by OED
    happening in a way contrary to what is expected, and typically causing wry amusement because of this
    To me, the act of Person A asking a question on Site One, only to have it asked and answered by a seemingly unrelated pair of persons B and C on Site 2 the following day is contrary to what is expected and causes amusement. One would expect it to be answered on Site One, no? If you'd expect a person asking a question on one site and the answer to be posted on a different site, then okay, it's not ironic. But then I would have to question your logic.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    One would expect it to be answered on Site One, no?
    Actually, no. The same topics are being brought up across the various Disney-related discussion boards, especially about things that are brand new or imminent. New ride and people making plans - makes perfect sense to me that people would be asking about height and weight restrictions.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Actually, no. The same topics are being brought up across the various Disney-related discussion boards, especially about things that are brand new or imminent. New ride and people making plans - makes perfect sense to me that people would be asking about height and weight restrictions.
    I guess I should rephrase. People who don't frequent multiple forums for the same topic would expect it to be answered on this site. I read the articles on MiceChat, but I almost never both with the forums...they're too busy. And I just flat out don't visit any other Disney fan sites on an even semi-regular basis. So, to me, it's contrary to my expectation. I'd expect since the question was posed here, it'd be answered here. If you have seen the question floating around other sites, then okay, it's not ironic to you. Still doesn't mean it's not to me.

Perhaps we should say the same about Pirates of the Carribbean? How is it ironic that they learned that they needed Bootstrap Bill's blood to lift the curse? It'd seem logical to me that if you needed everyone else's blood, you'd need his, too. I guess we should be mad at Disney for that?

If you don't think it's ironic, fine. I just don't see the need for you guys to criticize my statement simply because your viewpoint is different. If you don't agree, fine. But insinuating that I lack the basic knowledge of the definition for irony is unnecessary.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps we should say the same about Pirates of the Carribbean? How is it ironic that they learned that they needed Bootstrap Bill's blood to lift the curse? It'd seem logical to me that if you needed everyone else's blood, you'd need his, too. I guess we should be mad at Disney for that?
    OK, I have no idea what that means or what that has to do with anything being discussed here, but ok, whatever you say.

If you don't think it's ironic, fine. I just don't see the need for you guys to criticize my statement simply because your viewpoint is different. If you don't agree, fine. But insinuating that I lack the basic knowledge of the definition for irony is unnecessary.
    Excuse me, but I'll thank you not to berate me for something I didn't do. You can use the word "irony" all you want - I didn't respond to you on that point. I responded to one specific comment you made, and I didn't criticize you for making the comment, I just posted my disagreement with it, based on a question you asked, btw.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Whoa! Moderator Reminder

Just a reminder regarding our policy on discussion of other websites, from our FAQ:

Although you may the discuss other Web sites, we believe MousePad is not the venue for criticizing them. You are asked to stick to factual information.

Discussions of specific content on other Web sites should take place at those sites, not MousePad.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    There are 2 person seats on SSS. Kids 40-48" have to ride with someone (two over 48" cannot ride together though).
    I was there on leap day and they let my bf and I ride together on the two-seater and we're both pretty tall.

OK, I have no idea what that means or what that has to do with anything being discussed here, but ok, whatever you say.
    LOL agreed

I was just using it as an example for the situation. It was not directed directly to your point. Simply that Bolivar has stated that I don't know what irony is. Well, if I don't know what irony is, and it bugs him/her enough that he/she has to point it out, then why is he/she on a Disney fan site? I mean, heck, Disney actually did use it in an incorrectly - in my opinion at least - by saying it's ironic that they needed his blood when it very well could have been any single one of them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens
    Excuse me, but I'll thank you not to berate me for something I didn't do. You can use the word "irony" all you want - I didn't respond to you on that point. I responded to one specific comment you made, and I didn't criticize you for making the comment, I just posted my disagreement with it, based on a question you asked, btw.
    That's very true. I apologize for lumping you into that last statement. I was just angered over Bolivar's statement - especially since it's the second time that someone on this board has incorrectly called me out for not knowing what a word means - and did take it out on you as well. I sincerely apologize.

Now, I still don't think it was necessary for Bolivar's comment, but let's get this discussion back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince
    The lowest height requirement? Isn't Autopia 32"?
    I get what you mean, but technically the statement is still accurate. 32" IS the lowest requirement for rides that have one. No attraction that actually has a requirement is lower than 32" iirc. Now, I take it to mean that you can be 32" to ride by yourself for this one, which is really the lowest. On Autopia, isn't the 32" requirement for a passenger only? You have to be like 54" or something to drive, right? That could be what he's really trying to point out. It definitely sounds weird at first though. I thought the same thing as you.

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph
    Just a reminder regarding our policy on discussion of other websites
    Not to sound disobedient or rude or anything, but a few quick things:

First, prior to 3P1P's comment and my response just now, I don't see any discussion on that specific article...all discussion was based on my use of the word "irony". O_o

Second, your policy is a little contradictory...

Although you may the discuss other Web sites, we believe MousePad is not the venue for criticizing them. You are asked to stick to factual information.

Discussions of specific content on other Web sites should take place at those sites, not MousePad.
    It states that it's okay to discuss other sites, but then immediately after says discussions should take place on those sites?

Third, it seems to me like a decent majority of the posts on this site are started with links to content on other sites...sooooooo.....does that mean we shouldn't actually be discussing them? I see at least four topics on the first page of posts in this forum alone that were STARTED with links to other sites, including two with over 25 replies each. Not to mention, the one about D23 is actually pasted directly into this website from Disneyland News - even hotlinks their image...
    Last edited by iceman559; 03-21-2012 at 11:56 AM.