Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Value Resorts getting "beverage coolers"... [Value Fridge discussion] [ Merged]

Value Resorts getting "beverage coolers"... [Value Fridge discussion] [ Merged]

Has anyone else heard this? Do you know when this is going to happen? And what exactly is a "beverage cooler"?

WDW - '93, '00 (ASM), '02 (ASM), '04 (POP), '06 (CB), '07 (POP), '08 (ASM), '09 (POP), '10 (POP), '11 (POP), '12 (POP)

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by mcky fan View Post
    Has anyone else heard this? Do you know when this is going to happen? And what exactly is a "beverage cooler"?
    They're sort of mini-mini fridges. Just large enough to store cans of pop/beer in - I understand they're sort of like what Disney has on their cruise ships (although I've never been on one of their cruise ships).

Edited to add link: http://www.mouseplanet.com/9839/Walt..._Resort_Update
    MousePlanet reported it at the above link - look under "Resorts" near the end of the page.
    All-Star Movies Resort – Beverage coolers will be installed in Guest rooms from January 23 to March 16, 2012. The installation will take place one floor at a time between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Guests will be notified via an in-room flier the day before the work is scheduled to take place.
    Last edited by Barberella; 02-21-2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: To Add Link
    “When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Barberella View Post
    They're sort of mini-mini fridges. Just large enough to store cans of pop/beer in - I understand they're sort of like what Disney has on their cruise ships (although I've never been on one of their cruise ships).
    In addition to small size, the units also don't cool to refrigerator temps necessary to keep perishable food from spoiling.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    In addition to small size, the units also don't cool to refrigerator temps necessary to keep perishable food from spoiling.
    Read: If you think you are going to be able to store milk or dairy products or even lunch meat, you may want to think twice.

Even warm cans of soda will take forever to chill.

Now, of course, my comments are based upon what I have seen on the cruise ships. This could be totally different. Here is to hoping that someone can report back with some first hand experiences with the ones they are putting in.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Just read today that all the Value resorts are getting mini-fridge's. This is really good news can't wait for July!

WDW - '93, '00 (ASM), '02 (ASM), '04 (POP), '06 (CB), '07 (POP), '08 (ASM), '09 (POP), '10 (POP), '11 (POP), '12 (POP)

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

WOW! That's amazingly cool! Where did you read it?

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaMouse View Post
    WOW! That's amazingly cool! Where did you read it?
    Mark's MousePlanet WDW update had an item in the building permits (or just after that section). It could have been referencing beverage coolers - or maybe they really are installing refrigerators?
    Cathy

Ah, that's my next stop. I was just about to go over there. I am 2 days late! Argh! Whaddaweek!

On another site..many were talking about it. Several people called Disney and they confirmed that mini-fridges were being installed. It is supposed to be complete by the end of April.

I believe they are getting actual fridges now. They have already begun to add them at Pop. They have added a wooden case to house them.

Pop Century has had rooms with fridges for a while. Stayed there a couple years back and requested a room with a fridge with no problem. It would be great it they were putting them in all the rooms.

You reach a point where you don't work for money.
    Walt Disney

You could always get them at Pop Century, but until now, you had to pay $10 and some change per day UNLESS you needed it for medical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by vhartsfi View Post
    Pop Century has had rooms with fridges for a while. Stayed there a couple years back and requested a room with a fridge with no problem. It would be great it they were putting them in all the rooms.
    As TinaMouse said...you could always get one for an extra charge. But now they are free and in every room..don't even have to ask!!

Pop Century Frig's?

Can someone who is going to be or may have already stayed at the Pop please post a picture of the Refrig. that are going in all the rooms? I have read and heard they will be smaller than the ones you can rent in the past there. The one we rented was the perfect size but I hear they will be much smaller. A picture would be appreaciated. Thanks....

A comparison to the rental fridge (previously available) plus a couple of pics of the 'new' fridge now available at Pop are here

“When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Barberella View Post
    A comparison to the rental fridge (previously available) plus a couple of pics of the 'new' fridge now available at Pop are here
    Thank you for the link. That looks like enough room for 2 people. Glad to see that.

That looks the same size as the ones in the moderate resorts to me.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

My understanding is that it is a comparable size - but do note that the ones at Pop have no freezer unit.

I could be wrong...but I don't recall the moderates or deluxes having freezer compartments.

[
    Followed by Mother/Daughter trip: POP Century - May 13-18

^ I've stayed in POFQ many times and I can't recall if the fridge had a freezer compartment either! (I eat my Mickey Bars immediately! )

You can crank the cool temp all the way down, in essence making the whole fridge an icebox. This really works well if you get a bucket of ice and then keep it in the fridge, making it last 2 to 3 days!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

^Who woulda thunk???

[
    Followed by Mother/Daughter trip: POP Century - May 13-18