Thread: Pre-Planning Trip Report March 21-27, 2012

Wink Pre-Planning Trip Report March 21-27, 2012

We leave in a little over a week! Here is what we know so far:

Travel Dates: March 21-27, 2012
    Travel Method: Car/Plane
    Resort: Del Sol Inn
    Ages Represented in Group: Early 20's
    DLR Resort Experience Represented in Group: 2-3 visits each
    Comments: 2 year anniversary and Ferron's Birthday!
    Cast of Characters: Me (22), Ferron (22)

The Planning:

Transportation: Car- Redding to Sacramento
    SW Airlines- SMF (Sacramento) to SNA (John Wayne)
    I searched and searched daily for a good deal on tickets. Finally, Southwest was having tickets on sale for $69 one-way and we were able to purchase our tickets for $270 for
    both of us round trip!
    SNA to Hotel- friend picking us up

Lodging: Del Sol Inn
    Deluxe Room, King

Distance from DLR Entrance: Across the street

Tickets: Premium APs... was going to do 5-day park hoppers, but decided that is were were going to continue our Disneyland tradition, APs would be a better option. Plus, who doesn't love some of the extra perks?

Priority Seating: Thursday 3/22- 7pm P.F. Chang's at the Anaheim Garden Walk, Our "Anniversary" dinner
    Saturday 3/24- 2pm Big Thunder Ranch BBQ (our first time eating here... SO excited!)
    Monday 2/26- 1pm Tortilla Joe's Ferron's Birthday Lunch!

The Itinerary:

Tuesday, March 20- Load up the car for the drive to Sacramento

Wednesday, March 21- Attend class from 8 to a little after 9 (I have to take a quiz), go home, drop car off, and then leave around 10:30 for SMF. Expected arrival is around 12:30-1pm. Our flight leaves at 2:15, so I'm PRAYING that everything will go smoothly. We may do early-bird check-in that morning. Not sure yet. Estimated arrival at SNA is 3:40 in which we will be picked up from the airport and taken to our hotel. I expect us to be inside the park no later than 5pm. I expect us to grab FPs for Indy asap and then grab some grub as I'm sure we'll be hungry by then.

Thursday, March 22-27th- Not sure on a guestimated itinerary for these dates yet, but will work on one within the next couple of days and let you know!

How it all came into place- January rolled around and says to me "I want to go to DL again for our anniversary." Now, who am I to tell him no? We start trying to figure out what our tax return will be... crunching numbers... and all of that good stuff. The planner in me starts looking up Costco deals, Disney ticket packages, and ala cart hotels and tickets on a daily basis. We contemplated several different hotels: Hilton Anaheim, Embassy Suites, Desert Inn, and the Del Sol.
    We debated between different tickets as well: 5-day park hopper, Deluxe APs, and Premium APs. For the time frame we wanted, purpose for going, and what we wanted from our hotel, it all seemed to fall into our Premium APs at the Del Sol.
    We chose P.F. Chang's as Ferron loves Chinese food and they are having a great special while we are down there, not to mention we've always wanted to go. Again we've always wanted to go to the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. And, with Tortilla Joe's we are going to use a Patina gift certificate that Ferron will get for his birthday!

I am super excited and can't wait to go visit Mickey in just about a week!!

2. # ADS

I'm overlapping you by a day-flying from Sac on the 26th. Have a great time!

Siggy aka Jill

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

I hope you have a wonderful visit & anniversary, and that your stay at the Del Sol goes well (since it is a motel of much discussion on this board!)!

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

The new terminal takes just a bit to get used to. I have talked to some who have found it confusing though. Economy parking I assume? (We always use it, $9 a day) The shuttle bus will drop you at the new terminal B. { Southwest moved from Terminal A to the new B terminal. (It seems like the ones that used to be in terminal A, moved to the new B, and those that were still in the old B moved to A. ) Still with me?} The shuttle bus will drop you on the bottom level/ baggage claim. When you walk into the building go all the way to your left to get the up escalator (siggy, you will want to go to the right for the elevators.) At the top of the first escalator Southwest is to your left if you are dropping baags. I have been there 3 times and SW seems to have a line, each time. They will sometimes tell you that there is no waiting at the curbside drop off (which is out the door to your left). {If someone is dropping you off they can take the ramp up to drop you outside these doors.} Once done with bags drop off, you continue up the next set of escalators and walk straight ahead to the tram loading area. Hint, you load from the middle and it is every other side in a fairly constant stream. So if you walk up and the one on the left is departing, you will then be on the right hand one, seriously it takes like 2 minutes. Now, you should have your boarding pass out by now, because only ticketed passangers can enter the tram boarding area, and you hit security when you get off the tram. There is NO option to walk out to the terminal, you have to use the tram.
    It is really easy to navigate but if you are in a hurry and haven't been to the new terminal, it could be frustrating. We had a mid morning flight on Jet Blue, and there was no line at security.
    For future reference, it is also really easy to use Jet Blue from Sacramento to Long Beach airport, they were cheaper than SW when I was looking, and we had a great experience with them. You only get one free bag instead of 2 but tghey make a good option. Have fun.

I've been to the new terminal several times. It is confusing at first but is sure is nice!

Siggy aka Jill

Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    I've been to the new terminal several times. It is confusing at first but is sure is nice!
    We were able to scopeit out for our Disneyland trip the week before when we took G to the airport for her trip. I have spoken to several people who have gotten way confused and stressed. Including one who was just picking up someone and got all turned around.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    We were able to scope it out for our Disneyland trip the week before when we took G to the airport for her trip. I have spoken to several people who have gotten way confused and stressed. Including one who was just picking up someone and got all turned around.
    I was fortunate-since I needed assistance getting to the gate (wheelchair), we had a skycap take us, who knew the way. The tram thing sure was weird at first! But once I got to the terminal, I liked it.
    Siggy aka Jill

Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    I'm overlapping you by a day-flying from Sac on the 26th. Have a great time!
    First time posting and figured what's a better way to enter the MousePad than a twirl, a spin, and to ride some coattails. I too, along with my wife and 4 year old son, will be arriving on the 26th and staying on-site through the 29th. I would like to thank everyone for all the information that is generously provided throughout this site... it is certainly helpful. And last but certainly not least, Happy Anniversary and Birthday to the OP and their beloved!!!