Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: Invasion of the Large Family: Using a 'Runner'

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: Invasion of the Large Family: Using a 'Runner'

Invasion of the Large Family: Using a 'Runner' by Contributing Writer

Contributing writer Joe Needham shows you how to designate an Fastpass collector for your group

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Ah how I love being the designated "runner." I do, really! And I agree that it makes good sense to employ this strategy, even if it's a small group; it just saves wear and tear on the individuals in the group. Although I have a couple of caveats. In Epcot, as I go get fastpasses for Soarin', the rest of the family waits for me at Spaceship Earch; that's a great 1st ride of the day, and the rest of the group doesnt have to make the walk to Soarin' first thing in the am.

In AK, for us, instead of fastpassing Everest, the two youngsters usually run off to do that first thing in the morning when the line is short (or single rider line is anyway), and I get fastpasses for the safari, something we all ride. Then, later in the day, we fastpass the rapids, and that just about takes care of AK.

In DHS, the Toy Story fastpasses are almost always either gone or have return times so late in the day (unless you are a gate opener, which I am certainly not)that it doesn't make sense to use them; instead, we take advantage of the fact that neither of the elders in our group ride either of the big rides, Tower and Rockin' Rollercoaster, nor my daughter, Tower, so my son and I grab fastpasses for Tower, and with the remaining three entry cards, we get three fastpasses for the Aerosmith ride; that's two big rides saved for the day instead of the one ride (Toy Story). Then the five of us usually do the movie ride and then the three younger members of the group do a walk on at Toy Story. Sure, it's usually about an hour's wait, but typically less than that, and typically it's only about a half-hour until you reach the point in line where the fastpassers enter the line. Plus, it's such a fun queue that I actually don't mind the wait. Thankfully, Star Tours, even with a line, is rarely that long a wait, so we don't have to waste fastpasses for it.

At Magic Kingdom FPs are less of an issue, at least for my extended family. I agree that Space Mountain is a great first fastpass for the day. However, this year, as I can no loger ride that great ride, we'll probably use the two elder's entry cards for the Space Mountain FPs for my son and daughter, and then I can use the remaining 3 entry cards for Splash Mountain. That leaves only Thunder Mountain and mayber Peter Pan and perhaps Pooh for the rest of the day.

I digressed a bit from the point of the article, but, as you can see, there are so many strategies that you can employ using the FPs. So, select a runner in advance, have a strategy, to a certain extent, and have fun with it. If you start feeling stressed out, forget about it and try to enjoy the park; use the FPs whenever the opportunity presents itself.

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

I agree, usually in our family my husband is the runner, but sometimes if family comes to visit and he is at work, I become the runner. It can be a lot of fun, and I get a real work out in too We moved to Orlando last summer but had been traveling here for vacations for years! We are trying to teach some of our new friends here about being runners and getting fast passes, I will have to send them link to your article.

The runner strategy worked for well us when my kids were 5 and 6. The only difference is that I sent the rest of the family on to Splash Mountain at the back of the park, while I got some fast passes for Peter Pan and just walked so quickly I caught up with them before they got on. That will burn off breakfast calories fast !

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm usually the runner (and I was thinking of writing something like this for Disneyland) but I just wonder if the new enforcement policies on return times would affect some of your strategies. It would take some thinking about scenarios I guess. I see you mentioned it but I would be interested over time if this is revisited.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

For many years now I have served as the runner for my family of four. When other families have joined us, my responsibilities grew, because I was the only one who could keep track of everyones passes and fastpasses. My only word of caution is that it is a lot to do and keep track of. With a group of ten or more people, the stack of media you'll be juggling can get unwieldy. It also means you end up missing out on spending time with your family.

We have tried to move past the great rush, the belief that more rides in a day is a better experience. We try several times a day to notice something we have always missed. Also, unless there is a crush of people between us and the fastpasses, we try to stay together and work out a plan that doesn't force us to cross the park every ride. I still hate waiting in a long line, so I do suggest watching your clock, just be sure you don't miss your vacation in the process.