Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Fueling During Long Runs

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fueling During Long Runs

When I've trained/done 1/2 marathons before, I used the sports beans as my fuel of choice. The big thing for me in liking them was that the guidance said to take a package every hour (or whatever it was) and to prevent sugar highs/crashes, I would spread the package over that whole time period. Easy to do with sports beans. A bit harder to do with gu or those sorts of things, since proportioning it out evenly is difficult, as is putting a partly consumed pack of gu in a pocket!

Unfortunately, I now have braces, and the sticky sports beans just aren't going to work for me this time around. I really don't want to go the gu route, because that'll be harder to portion out (and store between portions!)

What are my other options? I thought maybe shot blocks - but I don't recall if they were sticky like gummy bears, or more like jello. And I know since the first time I tried them, they've repackaged so they're actually easier to portion out over time, so I'm hopeful.

Thoughts?

I've got a bit of time before I'm going more than 6 miles (which is basically my cut off for fueling) in prep for my next 1/2 marathon - but I am doing a 10K at Easter (with over 15K of my closest friends) - so I may do some longer than 6 miles before the summer heat fully sets in.

Cathy

2. # ADS

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Shot Bloks are essentially gummy candy - if you can't eat sports beans, you won't want to eat these.

Personally I don't portion my Gu - I take the whole thing in one serving every hour or so.

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    When I've trained/done 1/2 marathons before, I used the sports beans as my fuel of choice. The big thing for me in liking them was that the guidance said to take a package every hour (or whatever it was) and to prevent sugar highs/crashes, I would spread the package over that whole time period. Easy to do with sports beans. A bit harder to do with gu or those sorts of things, since proportioning it out evenly is difficult, as is putting a partly consumed pack of gu in a pocket!

Unfortunately, I now have braces, and the sticky sports beans just aren't going to work for me this time around. I really don't want to go the gu route, because that'll be harder to portion out (and store between portions!)
    My heart is broken for you. Seriously. Shot Bloks are worse than Sports Beans. They're giant gummy blocks. Very sticky. Stickier than jelly beans. Shot bloks are my fuel of choice for exactly this reason - portion control!
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries

That's what I was thinking - but I tried them and liked the sports beans better, so after that first couple of packets, I didn't buy any more, so I was hoping my memory was flawed.

AVP, you don't have issues with spiking/cratering after a Gu? Do you have a favorite flavor?

I have one other thing to look into - and maybe I'll stumble on something else, too. I did like that the sports beans had a small amount of electrolytes, too - so I didn't have to worry as much about that. Also, with spreading them out, I didn't have to worry about drinking water with the fuel - and I could keep my 'fuel' and my 'hydration' two separate things.

One of the TNT coaches I THINK used small packets of honey for her fueling. I just need to look into the types of sugars there and in the Gu and sports beans and amounts. (I was just hoping to be able to avoid thinking about what types of -oses are in all the options!)

Cathy

As previously stated, if you don't like gels, you might be out of luck. Everything else is chewy candy. You could mix up your own sport drink with electrolytes and use that instead if you carry a fuel belt. Honey Stinger gels are good, and taste like honey, nothing else. I've used the plain ones with no ill effects; they also have ones with ginseng.

If you want to portion your gels, you can buy a gel bottle like this one to keep on your fuel belt.

Loving my sweet pea.

Steph beat me too it, but yes, those gel sports bottles are becoming more and more common. The belts I've seen come with two water bottles and two fuel bottles. I use GU. I really like vanilla bean. I've not had a problem with them. I don't enjoy shot blocks or anything else I have to chew. For my last race and training, I moved my intervals to one GU every 30 minutes. I don't use any other electrolyte. I used to, but really determined I prefer just water last training round.

I think I really got my energy and hydration down this last time. For some they think a GU every 30 minutes is too much, but I think for my weight it is the perfect interval. I'd be afraid of not portioning out my gu very well with a fuel bottle.

Blog Entries

I already carry a water bottle during training in a hand-holder, so I need something I could put in my pocket (thank goodness for sparkle skirts!) and that bottle looks a little big. Last weekend I drank 24 oz in 3 miles and had to refill before I finished the 4 - and I drink on it throughout the walk, so the belts and having to futz with them to get a drink doesn't work well for me.

I sweat too much/it's too warm here to not do electrolytes of some level for more than 4 miles. When I 'trained' for the DL half a few years back, I really figured that out - I got to where I could really tell when I needed electrolytes and not just water. (And crystal light has changed their formulations since then - so I have to figure out THAT change, too!)

Cathy

Try Nuun. I like the grape, citrus punch, and Kona cola flavors.I actually found it was better to use Nuun the day before my race to get my levels up, then drink after I'm done.

The gel flask only holds 6 ounces, so it's not as big as you think. There are some other alternatives I found online, but I haven't tried them personally. This GelBot bottle might work well for you, since you could pop it into your water bottle holder you already own. Here's a video review.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Try Nuun. I like the grape, citrus punch, and Kona cola flavors.I actually found it was better to use Nuun the day before my race to get my levels up, then drink after I'm done.
    We like Nuun a lot. Fruit Punch, Citrus Punch, Orange & Strawberry Lemonade. (I'm not a strawberry lemonade person but I like it.)

I can't remember Tri-Berry. Either I like it or I really don't. But now I don't remember. I think I wanted to like it but don't.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries

Thanks! I think I'd read about Nuun a while ago. I found one place in town that carried it but never made it there - I'll have to look again.

That bottle looks perfect, Steph! Except I can't imagine only drinking that little water with 2 gel packs, like the reviewer - but that's ok - - I already know I'm 'special' when it comes to hydration. HOPEFULLY the shape will work with my holder (since it's a full, insulated holder - not just the strap/pocket arrangement.

Cathy

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Nunn, too, Cathy. I buy mine online at RoadrunnerSports. Often you can find their VIP membership on for $1.99 with a coupon code and that gets you free shipping for a year.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Blog Entries

I did get some Nunn last week, and although I didn't go for a long walk as initially planned, I DID mow the lawn, so I tried some when I was on one of my cool-down breaks. (Found out later it was record highs, and the humidity was pretty high as well, so it wasn't JUST early-season non-adjustment that I needed as many cool-downs as I did!)

I just put it in a cup of cold water (from the refrigerator) and it seemed to take a while to dissolve. Now I wasn't shaking it up, like I would in a bottle, but I did stir it, so I would thought that would function about the same.

Do you all have issues with the Nunn dissolving in a reasonable time period? Or was it mostly just the combo of stiring vs shaking and being refrigerator cold?

(AND the store I found them at had a couple of gu to try -- AND they have gu bottles - so I may get one and use the handy-dandy=pockets on my sparkleskirt to hold it - or I find a small one. I do have a little pouch on the side of my water bottle holder that I'd put my beans in that they might fit in!

(I'm just thinking the dual-use bottle Steph linked to, although really cool looking, would be a pain to refill with water duirng a session.)

Cathy

Nuun dissolves within a couple of minutes. I wouldn't put it in the refrigerator until after it's dissolved.

Force is strong in this one

I've just been introduced to Honey Stinger http://www.honeystinger.com/, not so sure how it will work yet, but it should help you avoid the gummy problem with your braces. Lance Armstrong used it, I tried a sample of it and it tasted good to me. See if that works.

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    I've just been introduced to Honey Stinger http://www.honeystinger.com/, not so sure how it will work yet, but it should help you avoid the gummy problem with your braces. Lance Armstrong used it, I tried a sample of it and it tasted good to me. See if that works.
    I mentioned those above Tim. The waffles and protein bars are great too for after a workout.

Force is strong in this one

I guess I should have been more clear. I was actually talking about the waffles, not the gels which might solve Drince's problem with the braces. I just tried them for the first time today as the bike shop halfway through the ride sold them. I went through 2 and a half of those things in the next 2 hours. Good stuff!

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!