When I've trained/done 1/2 marathons before, I used the sports beans as my fuel of choice. The big thing for me in liking them was that the guidance said to take a package every hour (or whatever it was) and to prevent sugar highs/crashes, I would spread the package over that whole time period. Easy to do with sports beans. A bit harder to do with gu or those sorts of things, since proportioning it out evenly is difficult, as is putting a partly consumed pack of gu in a pocket!

Unfortunately, I now have braces, and the sticky sports beans just aren't going to work for me this time around. I really don't want to go the gu route, because that'll be harder to portion out (and store between portions!)

What are my other options? I thought maybe shot blocks - but I don't recall if they were sticky like gummy bears, or more like jello. And I know since the first time I tried them, they've repackaged so they're actually easier to portion out over time, so I'm hopeful.

Thoughts?

I've got a bit of time before I'm going more than 6 miles (which is basically my cut off for fueling) in prep for my next 1/2 marathon - but I am doing a 10K at Easter (with over 15K of my closest friends) - so I may do some longer than 6 miles before the summer heat fully sets in.