Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Questions about upgrading Park Hoppers to APs in May.

Questions about upgrading Park Hoppers to APs in May.

Hi! I will be going to Disneyland with my two daughters (15 and 8) on May 1-4. I want to buy 4 day hoppers to take advantage of Early Entry on our first day. I want to surprise my daughters and upgrade to Deluxe APs so we can go again in August to see Cars Land, and then again next spring. I have never held an AP before and have a couple questions:

~Should I upgrade on the first day we are there or wait until the last day? Does it make any difference?

~Do my daughters need to be with me or can I take their hoppers and upgrade without them present?

~If we happen to skip Disneyland for a day and go on Saturday, can I still upgrade that day even though it's a blockout day?

My most important question is whether they need to be with me or not. I would LOVE to line them up in some nice long line, have them give me their hoppers and say I'm going to get us a fastpass for something, and then go upgrade and surprise them :-). I just want to make sure I can plan that.
    Thanks for any advice!
    Kimberlee

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbopotamus View Post
    ~Do my daughters need to be with me or can I take their hoppers and upgrade without them present?
    Yes, when we have done it, I had to have my nieces with me. I would suggest putting them in a line, and simply going and ask if you can. Worst case, you miss a ride, and have to bring them out with you. You could also play a "something is wrong with the tickets" and need to go to the ticket booth, and have them wait within view of the booth (like at a light post on the side, or the bench). Then tell the ticket booth person what you are doing. They will usually work with you.

And yes, you can upgrade on a Saturday and be able to use your pass that day.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Will I have to go out of the park to a ticket booth then, or can I go to City Hall?

Blog Entries
    Will I have to go out of the park to a ticket booth then, or can I go to City Hall?
    No, all upgrades are now handled at the ticket booth.

~Should I upgrade on the first day we are there or wait until the last day? Does it make any difference?

~If we happen to skip Disneyland for a day and go on Saturday, can I still upgrade that day even though it's a blockout day?
    The difference of upgrading on the first day would be the dining and shopping discounts you receive. So it would really depend on how much you plan to eat at the park. The 10% is a nice deal as it covers the tax (plus a bit) so you are basically spending what it says on the menu.

As Mal said, they let you in on the day you update. So it really comes down to when you want to update and if you feel you need the discount.

We did this last summer when we visited to have our morning hour too. One thing to keep in mind is if you have an AP they will replace it if you lose it, if you have a regular pass they will not.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I will buy my 4-days and then when we take our mid-afternoon hotel break on the first day, stop by the ticket booths with my girls on our way back in. That way we can all go back in the Park with our APs for the first time together! Yay, I'm so excited!!! :-D

If you want to skip a day and go on Saturday, you will need to wait until the Saturday to upgrade if that is a block out date for Deluxe. Black out day tickets are I believe $60 each! If you stick to Tuesday through Friday and don't want to go on Saturday, upgrade Tuesday afternoon, after you use you EE/MM, and then take advantage of your discounts the rest of your trip.

Don't call me Grumpy! CMHusband's Avatar

Your daughters must be present to upgrade the park hoppers.
    If you upgrade on a block out day - you will be permitted to enter the park on that day without paying the block out fee- so take advantage of that if it matters.
    All upgrades are done at the ticket booths now.
    It doesn't really matter what day you upgrade, the AP will be back dated to the first the park hopper was used.

Check out my Walt's Apartment tour on flickr here http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7625183415995/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    Your daughters must be present to upgrade the park hoppers.
    What surprised me was when I was allowed to renew my adult daughter's pass without her there. I had bought APs before the price increase and waited til my daughter's pass expired. I went without her to get the APs from the ticket booth. When I explained my daughter would be back with it to renew, the ticket booth cashier said "Oh, I can do that for you" and renewed her pass and gave it to me.

Don't call me Grumpy! CMHusband's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    What surprised me was when I was allowed to renew my adult daughter's pass without her there. I had bought APs before the price increase and waited til my daughter's pass expired. I went without her to get the APs from the ticket booth. When I explained my daughter would be back with it to renew, the ticket booth cashier said "Oh, I can do that for you" and renewed her pass and gave it to me.
    you can "renew" a pass without the person there. But you can't "upgrade" a ticket to a pass without the person present.
    Check out my Walt's Apartment tour on flickr here http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7625183415995/