Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Parenting in the Parks: Planes, Trains or Automobiles, Part 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Parenting in the Parks: Planes, Trains or Automobiles, Part 2

Parenting in the Parks: Planes, Trains or Automobiles, Part 2 by Adrienne Krock

The Parenting Panel shares their experiences driving to the Disney Parks.

Read it here!

One trick we used when the kiddos were small: we would stop for lunch at a fast food place with a play ground, and DH and I would eat while the kids ran off some of their energy on the play equipment. Then, we'd purchase food for the kids to eat in the car while strapped into their car seats. We invested in little trays that hooked onto the back of the front seats, so the kids had a flat surface kind of like an airplane tray table. Of course, that also meant an extra potty stop after they'd eaten, but we more than made up for that with pleasantly tired kids who would take a decent nap after lunch. (it also works with a packed picnic and a city park...they're just a little harder to find. Easier now, tho, with GPS)

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DL Mama View Post
    We invested in little trays that hooked onto the back of the front seats, so the kids had a flat surface kind of like an airplane tray table.
    OH OH OH!!

Ok, that reminded me of what WE did when we took an amazingly long trip, and we've done it for shorter trips, too:

Cookie sheets with edges. We used these as lap desks. They're magnetic so magnetic toys stick right to the trays.

They have the edges so crayons, pencils, etc, don't roll off as easily. (We also used triangular crayons when the boys were younger which helped a lot!)

And with the edges small snacks don't fall off as easily (goldfish, pretzels, etc.)
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    OH OH OH!!

Ok, that reminded me of what WE did when we took an amazingly long trip, and we've done it for shorter trips, too:

Cookie sheets with edges. We used these as lap desks. They're magnetic so magnetic toys stick right to the trays.

They have the edges so crayons, pencils, etc, don't roll off as easily. (We also used triangular crayons when the boys were younger which helped a lot!)

And with the edges small snacks don't fall off as easily (goldfish, pretzels, etc.)
    LOL Those would easily turn into weapons in my car. Girls are vicious!
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    LOL Those would easily turn into weapons in my car. Girls are vicious!
    They would have turned into weapons once in my car....

We did a lot of car travel, and it was before DVDs in the car. The kids learned to play the typical car games. They each had their baggies of snacks. Their car seats had a spot for their juice boxes and snack. I could usually get 2 hours of driving in before they needed a break to run. As a single parent driving, that was usually a good time for me to stretch, reload snacks, run the kids, then back on the road. I also tried starting in early AM so they would snooze a couple hours.
    Planning 3 trips at once...