Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MA DATP/ Basic/Advanced Thoughts from MA Card Games

MA DATP/ Basic/Advanced Thoughts from MA Card Games

[Moderator Note: As the game is over, all teams are welcome to post answers, questions and comments about Basic, Advanced or Day at the Park]

A great big THANK YOU to the MA staff--you guys really outdid yourself this time!! A huge improvement was the way you grouped the teams and had them exit the ballroom--I doubt you will hear any complaints about that any more. Well done. I can't believe you had 52 things for us to do! Amazing! We could easily go back and spend the same amount of time working on all of the ones we didn't have time to finish. I loved getting out of the ballroom earlier--it was nice to have Downtown Disney all to ourselves and my SIL said it was great to have Fantasyland and Toontown empty as their first location. Speaking of the DD section--I was just plain giddy when I found that painted MA board with the names on it--how cool was that?! Really, really neat and so completely unexpected!!

I'm still trying to decide if I like this format better or the old way better. I have decided that if anybody truly liked the old way better they could simply forfeit all of the A-10 cards and only work on the J, Q, K cards and that would pretty much be "old style". Having figured that out, and realizing that we didn't do any of the K quests, even though we got them, I suppose we really liked the new style better. Our only serious hiccup which caused some angry team members was that at 3:50 we had a choice--turn in the cards that we had finished to get the J, K to work on or do the Q quest (that we had in our hands). We had 100 points ready to turn in and the Q quest was 60. In hindsight, it would have been smart to turn in our cards. However, I had specifically asked Andrew before the presentation what would happen at 4:00 and he was pretty clear (to me) that we would NOT get the J, Q, K quests after 4:00 but that we COULD turn in anything else after 4:00 and we would get still get credit for the points. So we did the Q, and of course, did NOT get the credit for the rest and we didn't have anything else to work on after that either since I thought we could work on more 20 point cards and we couldn't. But, after finding out that my main competition didn't get credit for their points either, I felt a lot better! lol

We had fun working on the Queen quests--I especially liked the charades. So those were a welcome addition to the game.

I think the only thing that I actually missed was that in past MA, quests were limited to a much smaller area. My only suggestion for improvement would be to make the J items in Critter Country, the Q items in N.O. Square and the K items in Frontierland, for example. There were some that we could have done and would have liked to do but it meant going way out of the way and then going all the way back to turn in the cards. I think we entered and exited the security line on the DD Disney quest three times. We definitely did a LOT more walking this time from all of the walking back and forth to the same places over and over again.

I was very surprised at how how much information the staff gave us this time. We NEVER would have been told that we had the wrong answer in the past. I felt like we were cheating by having the chance to figure out what we did wrong and fix it. I discovered that the other teams were given the same opportunity, so of course, it was fair but it felt funny. lol I'm not complaining, however! It was nice and we appreciated it! Made for a lot less aggravation! It was nice having "free hints", too. The staff was plentiful in the right areas, too.

The eye spies were really fun this time, too--we found the majority of them and had fun determining which one was the right one. I'm amazed that you not only had 52 unique cards but that the backs of the cards were all unique, too.

Really, really well done guys (and girls!)!!!!! THANK YOU!!!
    Last edited by Andrew; 04-01-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: editing title

2. # ADS

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

[SPOILERS AHEAD] MA Basic/Advanced Thoughts from MA Card Games

Hey teams,

You are welcome to post your comments here ... but remember the Day at the Park folks are playing in two weeks.

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

I agree, the deck of cards was genius! And I loved the format of this game. We strategized to skip a few of the lower point cards in order to get the face cards. But the fact that each card was it's own mini quest was so creative. Of course, some of those 'mini quests' were nigh impossible for us - but we just decided to skip them and go on to the next.
    The eye spys were amazing and so fun to find.

We thought the instructions of having to turn in anything that counted towards the face card quests by 4 o'clock was very clear. By four o'clock we knew that the only thing we should be working on was face card quests, or trivia or eye spy because all we would be able to turn in after that was our yellow (orange?) answer sheet and scan tron.

Thank you so much for such a fun game! I hope you do this format again.
    The Green Boa Divas had a mah-veh-lous time.

MouseAdventure - DIS Diva

I'm too brain dead to post meaningful comments on the quest, so let me just say, really, ON daylight savings time? Our babysitters were NOT impressed! We dragged too, but at least we had MouseAdventure to look forward to I really did feel that showing up on time was the first quest. Were any teams an hour late?

Thank you for giving us the Pens/Pencils. I know that you tell us to do this, but given the nature of the game, it would have been hard for a team who didn't read the instructions. I know you don't have to care about that, but it is nice that you did. It really felt like you were going the extra mile. Thank you also for not requiring that we mark up our cards when we used our cardsleeves. We marked the first one because we thought we might have to turn it in, but once we were told that we could keep the cards we just marked our sleeves. One station asked us to pull the card out of the sleeve and we would have done so and transferred our answers, but once she saw what we had done it was not required. So now we have a nearly new deck of cards. Anyone have a Jack of Bears that they didn't write on that they want to trade for one with writing?

It was also nice to finally introduce myself to Adk. *waives hi again*

Our favorite moment was the "find my twin" quest (Queen of crowns?) I had pretty much talked my team out of bothering with the quest so that we could move on to Downtown Disney. But as we were walking down the train station steps, we spotted him so got the points and got to move on.

Someone else mentioned that they thought they could get partial credit after 4:00 for the A-10 quests. We had that in our heads too, but it was clearly spelled out in the rules that you couldn't. Was this misspoken in the morning or was it a collective bad memory. We knew we couldn't get any new quests after 4:00, but we lost at least 100 points by mismanaging the last hour thinking we could get some of the smaller quests done.

We had a great time yesterday and our heads sure did hurt at the end of the day! Once again we found ourselves wishing for at least 8 more hours!

One big question...Can anyone tell me where they found the sign in downtown disney that had Alice, chip, max, etc on it? It seriously drove us bonkers that we did not find it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Detectateers View Post

One big question...Can anyone tell me where they found the sign in downtown disney that had Alice, chip, max, etc on it? It seriously drove us bonkers that we did not find it!!
    It was on a kiosk not too far from the World of Disney store. Have you seen the one where you can have your name painted where the letters are cool Disney characters? They had a specially painted one for MA on it with each of those characters names and it was right there on display. Amazing!!

(reposting to the right thread)

Thank you, MA Staff!!

A great big THANK YOU to the MA staff--you guys really outdid yourself this time!! A huge improvement was the way you grouped the teams and had them exit the ballroom--I doubt you will hear any complaints about that any more. Well done. I can't believe you had 52 things for us to do! Amazing! We could easily go back and spend the same amount of time working on all of the ones we didn't have time to finish. I loved getting out of the ballroom earlier--it was nice to have Downtown Disney all to ourselves and my SIL said it was great to have Fantasyland and Toontown empty as their first location. Speaking of the DD section--I was just plain giddy when I found that painted MA board with the names on it--how cool was that?! Really, really neat and so completely unexpected!!

I'm still trying to decide if I like this format better or the old way better. I have decided that if anybody truly liked the old way better they could simply forfeit all of the A-10 cards and only work on the J, Q, K cards and that would pretty much be "old style". Having figured that out, and realizing that we didn't do any of the K quests, even though we got them, I suppose we really liked the new style better. Our only serious hiccup which caused some angry team members was that at 3:50 we had a choice--turn in the cards that we had finished to get the J, K to work on or do the Q quest (that we had in our hands). We had 100 points ready to turn in and the Q quest was 60. In hindsight, it would have been smart to turn in our cards. However, I had specifically asked Andrew before the presentation what would happen at 4:00 and he was pretty clear (to me) that we would NOT get the J, Q, K quests after 4:00 but that we COULD turn in anything else after 4:00 and we would get still get credit for the points. So we did the Q, and of course, did NOT get the credit for the rest and we didn't have anything else to work on after that either since I thought we could work on more 20 point cards and we couldn't. But, after finding out that my main competition didn't get credit for their points either, I felt a lot better! lol

We had fun working on the Queen quests--I especially liked the charades. So those were a welcome addition to the game.

I think the only thing that I actually missed was that in past MA, quests were limited to a much smaller area. My only suggestion for improvement would be to make the J items in Critter Country, the Q items in N.O. Square and the K items in Frontierland, for example. There were some that we could have done and would have liked to do but it meant going way out of the way and then going all the way back to turn in the cards. I think we entered and exited the security line on the DD Disney quest three times. We definitely did a LOT more walking this time from all of the walking back and forth to the same places over and over again.

I was very surprised at how how much information the staff gave us this time. We NEVER would have been told that we had the wrong answer in the past. I felt like we were cheating by having the chance to figure out what we did wrong and fix it. I discovered that the other teams were given the same opportunity, so of course, it was fair but it felt funny. lol I'm not complaining, however! It was nice and we appreciated it! Made for a lot less aggravation! It was nice having "free hints", too. The staff was plentiful in the right areas, too.

The eye spies were really fun this time, too--we found the majority of them and had fun determining which one was the right one. I'm amazed that you not only had 52 unique cards but that the backs of the cards were all unique, too.

Really, really well done guys (and girls!)!!!!! THANK YOU!!!

The Max, Alice, Chip, Gus picures were on a painted sign (the ones where they paint your name decoratively) The letters were
    M A C G (to stand for the characters and Mouse Adventure Card Games) They raffled off the sign at the post game event.

Very cool! We never even started any of the Star quests, (or the rockets for that matter) so we never looked for that.

Although we only attempted half (and did not successfully finish all of those) we really enjoyed this event. We really appreciated the fact that we had finished, CONFIRMED points along the way. We were able to feel better about our progress.

Niwel (Shana sp?) was asking before sign-in, "Have you played before? (yes) Well have you played an ALEX game?" I wasn't sure if we had, but as soon as we opened the King of Bears, I knew. Ah, the cutting and folding. I even remembered where we had sat, scoring the paper the last time (there may have been some not Disney appropriate language at that time!) but I was so glad I had done it before!

Again, thanks to all the people who worked so hard to put this event together.

You are geniuses of the most evil variety!

I just wanted to say, having played MA for the past 5-6 years, this was by far my favorite game! We are a family team, and probably more of the mid-range scoring team, so we aren't a "competitive" team, but that said, we love to strategize and search for answers. This year's format was perfect for us! I also loved the "Q" challenges, and loved having so many different choices when it comes to strategy. AND...loved having nice long game time.

And....thank you Adrienne, for my private tutorial on the difference between awnings and umbrellas... yeah, I know, read the question .

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    And....thank you Adrienne, for my private tutorial on the difference between awnings and umbrellas... yeah, I know, read the question .
    It wouldn't be a MouseAdventure if you didn't have to have a 'read everything' moment, now would it?
    Cathy

I play for the Naboombu All-Stars LavenderBlue's Avatar

Wow! That was a game!

Wholehearted thanks to the whole MA team for such a well-crafted event. There's really nothing like playing this game... one minute anxious and excited, the next overwhelmed and dumbstruck, followed by confusion, frustration, jubilation, and every emotion in between. For us it ended with shock and pure, unadulterated JOY! Beyond thrilled to have won first place in Basic Returning... AMAZING!!! Again, thanks MA team... the Naboombu All-Stars think you rock!!!

Our team had a great time... but the day was one big blur. We loved the format, especially the physical challenges, they were a nice addition and something our team hadn't experienced before in a MA event. The one quest that gave us fits was the Jack of Crowns (?), the population quest. We'd like to blame it on the midday lull in brain functionality, but whatever the reason... that one was killing us. Even at our post-game dinner, we could not stop talking about it... we were so frustrated, but that's what it's all about, isn't it? The highs and lows of MA? It's just plain addictive!

I always think it's so funny how we drag our bodies back to the ballroom at the end of the day, completely wiped out, and not soon after we sit down, we find ourselves pondering when the next game will be announced, if maybe it will be announced during the post-event ceremony. Addictive!

Congrats and thanks to my fantastic teammates... Cary, Michael and Frank! It was a great team effort and a whole lot of fun, the Jack of Crowns notwithstanding.

The countdown to MA Fall 2012 begins...

No shilly-shallying, no dilly dallying, let's have a drink on it now!

Mouseadventure Musical - Naboombu All-Stars - 1st place (Basic Returning)
    Mouseadventure Card Games - Naboombu All-Stars - 1st place (Basic Returning)

Thank you so much, MA Team!! Death by Monkeys had a great time, and we LOVED the format. I agree with those who have said it was nice to actually know that you had some answers correct as you went -- made us feel satisfied we were making progress. Plus then we were able to time how long we were taking to gain points doing the A-10 quests vs. the J/Q/K quests to see which was a better use of time. I also agree that the way the ballroom was done was AMAZING. It was the most fair and organized thing ever, and we were really happy with that.

My only gripe was about the Q of Bears quest -- there was a bit of a line and some confusion between the MA organizers over there (that was our first area, so it was earlier in the day), and our team was told to "wait to be called" without being told that we were supposed to be sending a team member across to the island. We waited a good 10 minutes or so waiting to be called, before asking again and having them clarify that we should be sending a team member over there. I think that could have been clearer, because we definitely wasted time there and were frustrated about it when we realized what had happened.

That said, we loved the idea of the Q quests in general. The TT memory quest was really fun for me (despite the fact that I memorized them backwards initially... doh! READ CAREFULLY, I know )

Our favorite quests were the decoding and puzzle type quests, and I loved that some of the A-10 cards required the use of an answer from another A-10 card to complete. We also really liked the twist on the Eye Spy quests this time! And like with any MA, I learned something new -- I had never before paid enough attention to the Shooting Gallery to know that some of the gravestones rise up when their targets are hit! Wow. I feel like I should have seen that before, but better late than never??

Can't wait to see the full recap! We never made it to Stars, so we're thinking of making another (far more leisurely) day out of figuring out those ones. Great game, MA! Already looking forward to the next one

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    It was also nice to finally introduce myself to Adk. *waives hi again*
    I can't tell you how happy that made me. You were sitting in the PERFECT place for that to happen, LOL.

AND I got kid cuddles. How awesome is it when a little person just completely, on his own, walks up to me and hugs me? Hmm?

Our favorite moment was the "find my twin" quest (Queen of crowns?) I had pretty much talked my team out of bothering with the quest so that we could move on to Downtown Disney. But as we were walking down the train station steps, we spotted him so got the points and got to move on.
    Queen of Rockets! (My station.)

Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post

I'm always worried at MA because sometimes teams ask me questions and I just blurt out responses without a lot of filter because I want to give good information without wasting a lot of time. I'm always worried that I come off as condescending or patronizing when I say things like "Why are you asking me that? Let's read the question..."

Thank you to all the teams who are so veteran that they "Get" me and appreciate that I'm really trying to be helpful and friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    Wow! That was a game!

Wholehearted thanks to the whole MA team for such a well-crafted event. There's really nothing like playing this game... one minute anxious and excited, the next overwhelmed and dumbstruck, followed by confusion, frustration, jubilation, and every emotion in between. For us it ended with shock and pure, unadulterated JOY! Beyond thrilled to have won first place in Basic Returning... AMAZING!!! Again, thanks MA team... the Naboombu All-Stars think you rock!!!
    Congratulations on your win!!!!
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Quote Originally Posted by BlewByYou View Post
    It was on a kiosk not too far from the World of Disney store. Have you seen the one where you can have your name painted where the letters are cool Disney characters? They had a specially painted one for MA on it with each of those characters names and it was right there on display. Amazing!!
    DOH!!! And that in a nut shell is what I both LOVE and hate about his game! LOL! Thanks!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The countdown to MA Fall 2012 begins...
    Congratulations on your finish!

Did they announce dates for any of the fall events? If there was going to be two fall events, even?
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Congratulations on your finish!

Did they announce dates for any of the fall events? If there was going to be two fall events, even?
    Thanks so very much!! I was pretty exhausted... but I remember hearing that there would be a Fall event at Disneyland and one at WDW, and that it wouldn't be on Labor Day... OH, and there was some discussion of a possible LEAP YEAR event when it rolls around in four years. 24-hour MA... should we start training now???

Blog Entries

I have a mysterious large bruise, three broken nails, and only half my voice. And all I did was take the shortest volunteer shift and stamp score cards! I can't imagine how tired the players were.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Niwel (Shana sp?) was asking before sign-in, "Have you played before? (yes) Well have you played an ALEX game?" I wasn't sure if we had, but as soon as we opened the King of Bears, I knew. Ah, the cutting and folding. I even remembered where we had sat, scoring the paper the last time (there may have been some not Disney appropriate language at that time!) but I was so glad I had done it before!
    That was it I knew it would come back to you!
    Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

24-hour MA... should we start training now???
    I'm both intrigued and frightened by this prospect...

The Squirrel Squad had a great time once again at our 3rd MA! Unfortunately, we did not do nearly as well as we were hoping to. We wasted a tremendous amount of time in Downtown disney working on the Stars quests. We solved most of them quickly, but unfortunately for us, we didn't read the instructions for one quest very carefully, and ended up having to go back to the jazz kitchen 4 times!!

We were the team wearing the GoPro cameras. And I will be posting up the pictures and video we took sometime today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for a fun time MA staff! We are looking forward to the fall event!

MouseAdventure Luau - Ladies & The Tramp - 6th Place
    MouseAdventure Zone - The Squirrel Squad - 5th Place
    MouseAdventure Card Games - The Squirrel Squad - 7th Place

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Detectateers View Post
    DOH!!! And that in a nut shell is what I both LOVE and hate about his game! LOL! Thanks!
    While we were doing the A-3 cards in DTD I noticed the top of the artwork said "Read everything, assume nothing" and thought "That's a really odd thing to put on a wall plaque!" but didn't even notice the MouseAdventure 3/12 on the bottom or what letters were on it. Then while doing the quest I literally smacked myself on the head after we found it!

Best MA so far!

It was so rewarding to know you were getting things right along the way! And everyone was so much more spread out! Absolutely loved it!

Team "The Good, The Bad and The Kronk!" loved it and can't wait for the next one!

Happily ever after

Just wanted to add-

my favorite moments of the day- 1. Watching my 15 year old son across the Rivers of America trying to act out "Ariel" SO amusing!

2. We were sitting down outside RiverBelle, J was workining on a puzzle, Mom was working on trivia, and I was doing something else. C (who is 11) was just sort of waiting for few minutes and was looking around. He randomly said, "Hey, I never noticed that that fireworks sign is the same company name as the pin cart at DCA!" That ended up being the solution to the problem J was working on! It isn't very often that things fall together like that, but I sure appreciate it when it happens!

My least favorite moment of the day- knowing for a fact (FROM A PREVIOUS MA!!!!) that a certain piece of information was on a shipping crate, and NOT BEING ABLE TO LOCATE said crate. I just kept saying, "I KNOW IT'S ON A CRATE!!!!" I was getting SO frustrated, and I was SO glad when we finally found it!

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wonderful event! I continue to be floored by the knowledge and creativity of those who write these games.

Our first impression was a wonderful one on Saturday morning. Starting out knowing that we would be dismissed in a much more geographically organized manner was awesome. However, that really sort of put us in position to do the Bears quest first and OH MY GOSH did that one have us doing a lot of running back and forth. We spent WAY too much time on that quest. We finished the Jack quest and washed our hands of the rest when we saw the Queen and King quest. It was just time for us to move on. We chose Crowns next and we REALLY enjoyed that one. We made it through fairly quickly compared to the Bears and had some time to move on to the Stars quest. While we didn't finish it, we really enjoyed it and wished we could have spent more time on it. I hate that we didn't even have time to peek at the Rockets quest! All in all, we made some mistakes that we've definitely learned from. We ran into lots of road blocks and never lost our cool. We are still talking and laughing together and looking forward to being a team again. So, all in all, I'd say it was a success. I won't be sorry if I never see and NOS or Critter Country quest again, ever!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post

Congratulations on your win!!!!
    Thanks so much! We appreciate all that you and the team do!