Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Please help me decide where to stay!

Please help me decide where to stay!

Hi!
    A little background....we have a 6 year old and a 1.5 year old, and we have been going to Disney 1-2x a year for the past few years. We have stayed onsite at the Polynesian and Caribbean Beach, and offsite at the Ritz Carlton (2x) and Reunion.
    I have my plane tickets booked for April, and I am having the most difficult time deciding where to stay. Originally, I was booked at the Beach Club on the concierge level (that was all they had left), and after reading reviews, I learned that only guests can enter the pool area. My in-laws live in Florida and will be visiting us over the course of our stay and that is all I need is to have them watching us enjoy ourselves through the gate! I just don't need to give them any more material on me to add to their list . So, I am currently booked at the Animal Kingdom (Concierge level because it was less expensive than the regular room with the current promotion). My question is, is it worth though staying at the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian for the same price, yet without the Concierge floor, which I have really grown to like the idea of! Even though we stayed at the Polynesian last year, it was cold, so I think I wasn't ecstatic about it because we couldn't enjoy the amenities. Is the Animal Kingdom worth the longer bus rides?

Also, does anyone know if Disney offers only the most expensive rooms in their promotions first? There is no more room at at the Boardwalk either and I am surprised as we are going in a slower season.

Thanks so much!

2. # ADS

Where to stay??

Hi!
    A little background....we have a 6 year old and a 1.5 year old, and we have been going to Disney 1-2x a year for the past few years. We have stayed onsite at the Polynesian and Caribbean Beach, and offsite at the Ritz Carlton (2x) and Reunion.
    I have my plane tickets booked for April, and I am having the most difficult time deciding where to stay. Originally, I was booked at the Beach Club on the concierge level (that was all they had left), and after reading reviews, I learned that only guests can enter the pool area. My in-laws live in Florida and will be visiting us over the course of our stay and that is all I need is to have them watching us enjoy ourselves through the gate! I just don't need to give them any more material on me to add to their list . So, I am currently booked at the Animal Kingdom (Concierge level because it was less expensive than the regular room with the current promotion). My question is, is it worth though staying at the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian for the same price, yet without the Concierge floor, which I have really grown to like the idea of! Even though we stayed at the Polynesian last year, it was cold, so I think I wasn't ecstatic about it because we couldn't enjoy the amenities. Is the Animal Kingdom worth the longer bus rides?

Also, does anyone know if Disney offers only the most expensive rooms in their promotions first? There is no more room at at the Boardwalk either and I am surprised as we are going in a slower season.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by rplugs; 02-26-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Please delete this duplicate.

Mmm, just getting used to this site

You are on the Disneyland Trip Planning forum. You want WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by rplugs View Post
    Hi!
    A little background....we have a 6 year old and a 1.5 year old.....

.....So, I am currently booked at the Animal Kingdom (Concierge level because it was less expensive than the regular room with the current promotion). My question is, is it worth though staying at the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian for the same price, yet without the Concierge floor, which I have really grown to like the idea of! Even though we stayed at the Polynesian last year, it was cold, so I think I wasn't ecstatic about it because we couldn't enjoy the amenities. Is the Animal Kingdom worth the longer bus rides?

Thanks so much!
    To answer your question as to whether or not Disney offers only the most expensive rooms first in their promotions, to the best of my knowledge, the answer is no. Also, the Boardwalk - with it's quick access to Epcot and the Studios - is a very popular resort.

That being said, rooms open up at the different resorts all the time - it's important to keep checking back if you want a particular resort for a particular vacation.

With two young children, plenty of animals to see (both at AKL and AK), as well as concierge services for you (it's your vacation too) AKL is a fine choice. As you said, there are definitely transportation considerations from AKL, but it's what you have now and you're happy about concierge services, so you should definitely keep AKL up your sleeve.

However, keep checking, and if a good price for a room at the Poly shows up, I would reconsider my choice of rooms. I think the Poly, with it's monorail access to the MK (and Epcot) is the best choice for families with children in strollers and the pool at the Poly is very nice. I would not, however, exceed the budget to stay at the Poly, especially since you have a few minor hesitations about staying there again.

Another choice - if concierge level is important to you - might be the Wilderness Lodge. I have read excellent reviews of the Concierge level rooms at the WL for several years now. Reviews of Concierge Level resorts can be found at All Ears - the WL ones are here: http://land.allears.net/reviewpost/s...php?product=36

Another plus about the WL (and often overlooked by park stormers because of transportation across the lake) is that the WL is close to the MK and yet is isolated from the hustle and bustle of resorts on a monorail (whose restaurants often draw a significant number of guests from the parks). If either or both of your children get easily overstimulated, the WL provides a wonderful counterpoint as it is often quite peaceful and tranquil at the beginning and end of the day.
    “When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

I would say if the price is the same for AKL concierge as for the Poly or GF your choice is about what will add most value to your trip? AKL (food, animals to view), Poly/GF (monorail to MK and Epcot and great hotel based table service choices). I have children who love to swim but at 6 a pool is pretty much a pool. They will love any big hole filled with water.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

I'd say keep your room at AKL. Although the bus rides will definately be longer, you're also staying at a hotel which is an attraction in and of itself. Add to the fact that you've already got the room, I say it wouldn't be worth the hassle to switch to the Poly shorter ride regardless. AKL is beautiful and the fact that you got the concierge level room just sweetens the deal. What many a Walt Disney World visitor would do to be able to stay at the conciege level at AKL I don't want to know. Who knows when you'll be able to get a deal like this again? The Poly will always be around this deal won't be. I 100% would stay with AKL. I think your kids will love being able to animal watch at their own hotel!

Karibuni, welcome aboard!!!!!!!!
    http://disneyworlddetective.blogspot.com/

I love the AKL, and I think you and your kids will too. I had the opportunity to stay there twice, both times concierge with a savannah view. Not only do you get food in concierge, the food comes from either Boma or Jiko, the amazing restaurants on the site. In other words, the food in concierge is scrumptious. The pool is quite lovely. And the animals, of course, are just amazing. My folks were with us on the trips, and AKL was perhaps their favorite part of both visits. My two cents is that your in-laws will GIVE YOU POINTS for allowing them to visit you at such a cool hotel, swim in the pool, and see the animals!

Re distance to the parks - I don't know that it's really that awful, however to be completely honest we did a bit of hotel hopping so perhaps I'm not qualified to comment. I don't know how long your trip is going to be, but if it's longer you might consider staying at the AKL for part of the trip, and staying somewhere else for the rest of it. It's a bit of a hassle to check out/check in, true, but on the other hand it's very fun to be able to experience a couple of the Disney hotel properties and pools. Each one is it's own special world. Oh, and it turns out that you get certain goodies (like $10 in arcade tokens) whenever you check into each hotel, so when you check into multiple hotels you get multiple sets of goodies (i.e. a second set of arcade tokens at the second hotel). Nothing too huge or anything, but it was a surprise bonus you get for changing hotels (which we wanted to do anyway).

I think most of the Disney properties are pretty great, you'll have a good time wherever you decide to go. But to me, young kids and animals are a great match, so I think you'll be especially thrilled at AKL. Have fun!

First, you can't go wrong with either resort. You have many votes for the AKL - but I'm going to cast one for the Poly.

AKL has the animals, as everyone has already noted, and I agree with prior posts that you and the kids will probably love the animals there. It has a better lobby than the Poly as well.

The Poly has the beach with a view of the Magic Kingdom, and you can see Wishes right from the resort. I've done this many times and it is great to be able to watch wishes and then walk right back to your room. It also has the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. The TTC is right next door where you can catch a monorail to Epcot, or a bus to just about anywhere else.

If pricing was the same, and I had young kids, I would take the convenience of the Poly over the animals at AKL. For me, a big part of this decision would be because I would spend more time at the Magic Kingdom with young kids. In the interest of full disclosure, another part of this decision for me is the nostalgia I feel for the Poly because my parents used to take my sisters and I there every year when we were kids.

Tony S.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/][/url]

Quote Originally Posted by rplugs View Post
    Hi!

Thanks so much!
    For younger children, I prefer the convenience of the Polynesian over...well, pretty much anyplace else at WDW. I love being able to see the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom from the beach. I love the self-serve Dole Whip at Capt. Cooks any hour of the day. I love love love the volcano pool.

Given that you already have a reservation through a promotion and that you would lose concierge amenities if you made a switch, staying at AKL might be your best option because it is really a beautiful property (and, as another poster said, an attraction unto itself). Sanaa is my favorite restaurant onsite; big plus! But I'm not a fan of the distance to get out there, though. With little ones and a stroller, that makes it harder than the Poly.
    Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

AKL but I think you would be happy with either resort but AKL is just a personal favorite of mine.

Poly.....I am a Beach Club regular and if I was going to stay somewhere else it would be the Poly. GF is outstanding but we visit every trip and just feel it is too stuffy in there. I am in NY and we live with stuffiness all around and on vacation I like to be more relaxed. The Poly is so beautiful and has a great location with childcare on premises as well if you need that. Good food too! Just my two cents..

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Voting here for the AKL for personal reasons. We love the balcony and watching the animals...Love the pool and the food court. I'm a big animal lover, and giraffes are my favorite. The Lobby IMHO is much nicer than the Poly's. The oversized sofas and ample seating is a great way to just kick back and relax or by the fire pit. LOVE IT!

Now, the Poly is not a bad choice at all. It's a monorail resort, close to the MK and all the action, whereas the AKL is farther out and some people feel it's disconnected.

I just loved the bunk bed rooms with the Savannah view at the AKL when my kids were around that age. The first time we stayed at AKL, we used the busing system and felt it was just fine.

Although the Poly is beautiful, AKL gets my first vote!

Stephanie