Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Marathon Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Mooshu View Post
    I'll be on the lookout! I'm not sure where I'll be cheering yet, but I'll make sure I have a mouseplanet sign!
    A MousePlanet sign would be great! I wrote an article last year about spectating on WDW marathon weekend. That might help you decide where to stake out a spot.

2. # ADS

I think I will be sittting this one out. The wife did give me a green light for 2014 to do the Goofy! Some friends of ours want to do the marathon then and want us to go along. If missing 2013 will allow me to do the Goofy, I will see you all in 2014 then!

Goofy is at 61% and I'm registered!

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Woohoo! Go Team MousePlanet!
    --
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

Runners to Race Around the “High Banks’’ and “Bases’’ As Part of 20th Anniversary Walt Disney World Marathon Course

2013 Disney Marathon route to go through baseball stadium and speedway; course tweaks build on list of new 2013 enhancements

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - (May 16, 2012) - Runners in the 20th anniversary Walt Disney World Marathon in 2013 will have the unique experience of running along a speedway and through a baseball stadium - in addition to Disney’s four theme parks - as part the latest enhancements designed to celebrate the event’s two decades of existence.

The 2013 Disney Marathon course will again start at Epcot. But runners will go through the Magic Kingdom and then, for the first time ever, run through the high-banked Walt Disney World Speedway where stock cars, Indy cars and exotic supercars typically roar around the one-mile tri-oval track. And later the course will take runners to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and through the complex’s Champion Stadium, a major-league style ballpark that’s the Atlanta Braves’ annual spring training home.

“Running through the speedway and the ballpark should provide quite a thrill for the runners,’’ said veteran race director Jon Hughes. “These very creative enhancements should make for a pretty memorable 20th anniversary marathon that people will probably be talking about for 20 more years.’’

The marathon’s commemorative route changes add to the new enhancements recently announced, including enhanced entertainment along Mile 20, a specially-designed 20th anniversary Mickey Mouse medal and a new post-race party at Downtown Disney.

In addition to the 26.2-mile marathon, the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna (Jan. 10-13) will feature events for the entire family such as Kids’ Races throughout the weekend, including the Mickey Mile, a Family Fun Run 5K on Friday, the Half Marathon on Saturday and the Marathon on Sunday. There is also Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge which involves running the Half Marathon and the full Marathon - 39.3 miles! The Health and Fitness Expo runs throughout the weekend at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and features the latest in running technology and fashion, as well as renowned running experts like Jeff Galloway, the official training consultant for runDisney.

Wishes he could be watching Wishes. RunninDisney's Avatar
    Sweet! Is this your first Goofy?
    Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
    -1 Corinthians 9:24

Quote Originally Posted by RunninDisney View Post
    Sweet! Is this your first Goofy?
    Yes, my first (and probably last)!

Goofy's up to 84% now!

Southwest Airlines is having a 40% off sale with the code BIGDEAL40 right now, and it applies for dates that include marathon weekend. I just rebooked my same flights and saved $150!

Force is strong in this one
    Southwest Airlines is having a 40% off sale with the code BIGDEAL40 right now, and it applies for dates that include marathon weekend. I just rebooked my same flights and saved $150!
    Urrrghhhh. I wish I saw this yesterday. No matter, as SW doesn't fly out of my nearest airport anyways.
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Actually, it might help to get my brother out there that weekend, but he's having trouble wiht it online.
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    Actually, it might help to get my brother out there that weekend, but he's having trouble wiht it online.
    The promotional period for the discount has expired.

The promotional period for the discount has expired.
    He was trying it last night when it was still valid, but apparently the "regular fare" was already lower than the discount fare ?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    He was trying it last night when it was still valid, but apparently the "regular fare" was already lower than the discount fare ?!?!
    Weird. Sorry you had trouble. When will you be arriving?

If we do a meetup, would people prefer to meet before the runs, or on Sunday or Monday after it's over?

Weird. Sorry you had trouble. When will you be arriving?

If we do a meetup, would people prefer to meet before the runs, or on Sunday or Monday after it's over?
    I'm arriving Friday evening, around 5 PM so I probably won't be able to meet before the 1/2 marathon, though I'll try to get out and cheer Saturday morning.

Waivers are up for WDW marathon weekend events.

http://www.trackshack.com/disneyspor...ver/verify.php

You can view corral assignments for Goofy here, full marathon here, and half marathon here.

Last edited by stan4d_steph; 12-14-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Waivers are up for WDW marathon weekend events.

http://www.trackshack.com/disneyspor...ver/verify.php

You can view corral assignments for Goofy here, full marathon here, and half marathon here.
    I'm in Corral D. Considering this is my first (AND ONLY) full marathon, I'm surprised I'm that far up the ranks!
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Hmm... I think I need to swap shirt sizes and ask for a different corral assignment.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Hmm... I think I need to swap shirt sizes and ask for a different corral assignment.
    They had a nice little shirt swap table at the Wine & Dine expo; hopefully they will have the same in January. If they have the size you need, they can take care of it there.
    RunningFool

It looks like they stuck a lot of Goofy runners in the back corrals. We'll be going slowly, so I know I shouldn't stress, but I really don't want to deal with sweepers. If I have to, I'm going to leave my group.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I talked to a Goofy runner this morning who is in Corral F (she is normally in B or C for the other runDisney events). None too happy and will be asking for an upgrade to an earlier corral.

RunningFool

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As someone who 'belongs' in the last (or so) corral based on speed, I hope you can all get moved where you belong. It is so frustrating to have all the gazelles have to weave their way past people who can make the 16 minute mile pace, barely. Though it is nice to have them add cushion to the sweep pace by padding the ranks behind me!

There were even people at the W&D stating 'Runner coming through' after we started -- as if they were more important and those of us who were going to make pace barely should get out of their way. I appreciate 'On your left' (or right) but 'Runner coming through' is just rude. My sister and I had already separated and she asked me if they were doing that when they went past me, too.

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    As someone who 'belongs' in the last (or so) corral based on speed, I hope you can all get moved where you belong. It is so frustrating to have all the gazelles have to weave their way past people who can make the 16 minute mile pace, barely. Though it is nice to have them add cushion to the sweep pace by padding the ranks behind me!

There were even people at the W&D stating 'Runner coming through' after we started -- as if they were more important and those of us who were going to make pace barely should get out of their way. I appreciate 'On your left' (or right) but 'Runner coming through' is just rude. My sister and I had already separated and she asked me if they were doing that when they went past me, too.
    Unless you are walking hand-in-hand down the middle of the road with a small army of friends and family just ignore them. Stay to the right of the road and keep on trucking. As long as you started in the best corral for your current abilities and you get to the finish line healthy and happy that is all that is important!
    RunningFool

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I did just ignore the 'Runners coming through' group. And frustrated maybe isn't the right word for the gazelle passing. It's just shy of a safety thing, for both of us. And I know the gazelle's expend a lot more energy then they should if they have to pass a bunch of walkers/slower runners, and that's not fair to you alll, either.

I TRY to stay to one side, but inevidably there's someone who wants to pass inside me, so I've found it's safest to stay almost all the way to the side, leaving room for one person to pass on that side. Fortunately, for the W&D, I didn't experience much of the 'small army in a clump' behavior, so that was nice.

I guess my point for posting here is to emphasize to those of you put in the last corral for the WDW marathon weekend, when your time would indicate a C or D placement, that you really SHOULD go through the effort to get your correct corral.

Cathy

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Bolding is mine...

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Unless you are walking hand-in-hand down the middle of the road with a small army of friends and family just ignore them. Stay to the right of the road and keep on trucking. As long as you started in the best corral for your current abilities and you get to the finish line healthy and happy that is all that is important!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I guess my point for posting here is to emphasize to those of you put in the last corral for the WDW marathon weekend, when your time would indicate a C or D placement, that you really SHOULD go through the effort to get your correct corral.
    What Drince said. Here's the thing: When the entire field is going about the same pace and the course is crowded, it's not going to help to stay to the right because there isn't enough "right" space...
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

We're down to single digits until WDW Marathon Weekend begins! I can't believe it!

I'm leaving next Thursday!