Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney Mobile Magic [for iPhone]

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar

Disney Mobile Magic [for iPhone]

Finally! It's here for the iPhone (Verizon only). I've been searching periodically ever since I got my iPhone (leaving behind Mobile Magic on my Blackberry) always just coming up with threads started by other people asking when it was coming. I even shot an email to Disney asking the status, since the last post in the Disney Blog indicated it was expected out last fall. I got a generic response indicating that they were still working on it and that I could still use the mobile website. It appears that whoever sent me the response wasn't up on the latest since it was sent about a week ago and the release date on the app was 2/10. Oh well, all that really matters is that it's finally here.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/disne...500000336?mt=8

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

2. # ADS

That's funny. The Disney Parks Blog posts an article about it at the same time I was writing this post. Wonder why they waited so long since the iTunes store shows a release date two weeks ago. Actually, now that I look again, it's showing updated 2 weeks ago and now in version 3.1.0. Maybe it was just released today and I just had great timing. <G>

Now I know what caused me to wake up at 0-dark-thirty today. My disney senses were tingling!

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!

I think when my phone contract is up, I am finally going to Verizon. I am SOOOO Jealous!

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

One of the things I will find most useful is the Downtown Disney map for WDW. I can't always remember where different shops are located. I'm not a Verizon customer though, so I'll have to see how it compares to the other apps I use regularly with the more limited functionality.

If you have an iPhone With another carrier you might try downloading it and see what it does. The post on Disney Parks Blog makes me think this version may work for everyone, with some special features that are only available to Verizon users. I was sad to see that it isn't compatible with the iPad 1.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!

Unfortunately I am with one of carriers that don't even carry Iphones. I have to wait until August 2013 until I can change carriers though, hopefully it will be worth the wait!

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

Quote Originally Posted by quackinup View Post
    Wonder why they waited so long since the iTunes store shows a release date two weeks ago. Actually, now that I look again, it's showing updated 2 weeks ago and now in version 3.1.0. Maybe it was just released today and I just had great timing.
    My guess is that Apple either lists the app's submission date (before it gets approved) or Disney just published it today. On the Android Market, I can upload an app and leave it there while I work on it, then publish it when I'm ready (so it could technically be on the Android Market for weeks or months before anyone can see it other than me). Not sure if Apple works the same way but it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by quackinup
    If you have an iPhone With another carrier you might try downloading it and see what it does. The post on Disney Parks Blog makes me think this version may work for everyone, with some special features that are only available to Verizon users.
    Again, I'm not sure how Apple's AppStore works, but in the Android Market, you can specify which carriers are even able to see it. I can tell the Market that only users on Verizon can even see the app in the market, much less download it. Sure, there's ways to get around that, but on iPhone, I'm pretty sure it requires jailbreaking it.

Derailing my own thread <G> After waking up at 4:30 this morning to discover this app I was up all day and now I am working a 7pm-7am shift at work. Should be a good warmup for Wednesday!

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!

With this new version, both the iPhone and Android versions are now compatible with all carriers with only a few relatively minor features (looks like mainly some extra games) exclusive to Verizon.

-Jeff

"You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

Cool, that's what I thought it might be based on the blog post.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!

Im loving the app so far. I've watched ALL the featured videos, played all the games, and cant wait to give it a try at the park in about 10 days.
    One thing I was wondering and maybe someone here can help me; can you see the park hours for future dates? I haven't been able to come up with that yet.

Has anyone else seen a feature that they particularly like?

Ooooh! Off to the app store! Is it bad that my next trip is over 200 days and I'm excited about this?

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Well, if it is bad for you, then it is bad for me. I just downloaded it as well for my android phone! I might not have verizon, but now I have THIS!

Shelley

Since I am not one who wants to pay for a data plan, I am curious,
    Does it give any information that is more recent than what I can see in the morning (on my laptop) before I leave the room for the day?
    Something like a map, I can download and use without having an internet connection to read all day.

Has anyone written a pal mickey program, that will pick up the same signals they send out for pal mickey to pick up, but on a mobile phone.
    Do any of the mobile phones have an infra red reader?

I do not mind buying expensive devices, but I try to avoid services that are per-month-expensive.

Without a data plan, I don't think the app would give you much of anything that you can't find in the guide maps that they hand out in the parks.

I've never heard of any phone apps that worked with the Pal Mickey transmitters and IR receivers are now pretty rare on phones (they were more common in the days when Palm OS and the older Windows Mobile were dominant). I'm not sure the Pal Mickey transmitters are even still operational anyway.

-Jeff

"You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry