Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever use RCI points at a Disney resort?

Wishes he could be watching Wishes. RunninDisney's Avatar

Anyone ever use RCI points at a Disney resort?

I have a few questions, if so.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
    -1 Corinthians 9:24

2. # ADS

Anyone ever used RCI to book a Disney resort?

I have a few questions, if so.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You might want to take a peek at these somewhat recent threads:

Thread 1
    Thread 2

Feel free to post your specific questions as well. Those who have done it will be more than happy to chime in.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I did it last fall and would b happy to answer any questions!

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Most of my questions were answered in those previous threads. Thanks! Can you book the dining plan if you go through RCI?

I don't own an RCI timeshare, but I have used family members points. That being said, I am close to purchasing a timeshare that is already converted to points and I was just wondering how easy it is to use your points on Disney. To me, it looks like if you already own the RCI timeshare, then its a much cheaper option than actually booking a Disney resort normally.

Yes you can get the dining plan. It is much cheaper than booking it on your own. The biggest hassle is if you aren't flexible with your dates, also not all timeshares are equal and some have to trade two of their weeks to get one week at Disney. We lucked out and got 2 consecutive weeks at the BCV last September. We don't own IN RCI, but another company like DVC where you can trade into RCI. It's actually a better use of our points to do DVC than our own timeshare in Orlando. Not counting extra expenses like rental car and parking, but it is actually less points for the week.

Shannon

We always go to WDW around the middle of January, so I don't think that dates would be too bad of a problem. At least I hope not. How far in advance can you make your reservation through RCI? If I'm going in January 2013, when can I book?

Quote Originally Posted by RunninDisney View Post
    We always go to WDW around the middle of January, so I don't think that dates would be too bad of a problem. At least I hope not. How far in advance can you make your reservation through RCI? If I'm going in January 2013, when can I book?
    Most availability I've seen has been summer through September. RCI has 2 categories: Points and Weeks. Points (where most DVC units are deposited) can be booked 10 months out I think. Weeks is up to 2 years in advance but remember a DVC unit cant be deposited until their own booking window opens. Your best bet is to put in a search request now and hope for the best.
    Shannon

Seeing how I haven't bought the timeshare yet, would you mind checking availability for the 2nd or 3rd week in January?

Seeing how I haven't bought the timeshare yet, would you mind checking availability for the 2nd or 3rd week in January?
    The only current availability is in July, August and September.
    Shannon

Will it let you check in January?

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you planning on often using your timeshare for Disney visits? If so, I think it might be more of a sure-thing to go ahead and purchase DVC directly. I know with DVC you can bank and borrow points between years, such that you could basically do an every-other year vacation by purchasing the lower number of points. Does the system you're looking at allow that as well? Then you could purchase half with DVC and half with the other, for the same (aprox) total cost and still get a vacation every year.

Cathy

Will it let you check in January?
    Points system isn't open for January until next month. It's a 10 month limit.

And I agree with Cathy, don't buy a TS with hopes to get Disney World via a trade. If you want Disney, buy Disney.
    Shannon

Visiting WDW Since 1982

I had very good luck with putting in an ongoing search. When weeks become available the ongoing searches that meet the criteria will be satisfied before the weeks ever appear in the general listing. Also, if you want to trade into Disney be careful to NOT buy a TS close to Orlando, as they are prohibited from trading into the Orlando DVCs

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by stan2u View Post
    I had very good luck with putting in an ongoing search. When weeks become available the ongoing searches that meet the criteria will be satisfied before the weeks ever appear in the general listing. Also, if you want to trade into Disney be careful to NOT buy a TS close to Orlando, as they are prohibited from trading into the Orlando DVCs
    Even if you use points, you can't do Disney? The timeshare I'm looking at is in the Orlando area.

We do Disney about every 3 years, so I don't want to do DVC. I like the freedom to travel to different places with RCI.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We do Disney about every 3 years, so I don't want to do DVC. I like the freedom to travel to different places with RCI.
    You can still trade outside of DVC as well. So if you want to mix it up, DVC may be the better choice. It might be worth a closer look and compare the options.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Even if you use points, you can't do Disney? The timeshare I'm looking at is in the Orlando area.

Yes. If you own within 30 miles of Disney you can't trade into DVC. It's a rule put forth by DVC, not RCI.
    Shannon

Visiting WDW Since 1982

The PRO of buying DVC - you could buy fewer points (on resale) and go every third year by banking the first and going in the second with borrowing from the third. The advantage is that you get a much better chance of getting what you want (date and location) by trading within DVC.

The CON of buying DVC is that it is usually much more expensive to buy and own DVC than other RCI resorts.

A second PRO of DVC: resale. It is MUCH easier to sell your DVC points than any other timeshare in the world!

A second CO of DVC: If you are using DVC points for trading into non-DVC resorts you are paying much more than if you had a non-DVC resort.

Stan

Another thing to keep in mind when buying a different timeshare is that Disney does not promise that they will always be exchangeable with any other timeshare. Now, they use RCI but they previously used a different service, if I recall. I have no idea if any people were affected who bought a different timeshare that suddenly was no longer tradeable or if most of the timeshares who used the other service also now use RCI.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    Yes. If you own within 30 miles of Disney you can't trade into DVC. It's a rule put forth by DVC, not RCI.
    I'm really glad that y'all told me this. I'm basically getting the timeshare for nothing, and its a lot of points, so I'll probably still get it. I would have been shocked if I would have gone to book and been told no. Can you still use your RCI points at Disneyland if your deed is in Orlando?

Thanks y'all!

I'm really glad that y'all told me this. I'm basically getting the timeshare for nothing, and its a lot of points, so I'll probably still get it. I would have been shocked if I would have gone to book and been told no. Can you still use your RCI points at Disneyland if your deed is in Orlando?

Thanks y'all!
    Yes, but don't plan on getting grand Californian. I've only ever seen it in RCI once. There are a few other timeshares in Anaheim though.
    Shannon

Ok, last question(maybe). If I buy a timeshare that is weeks, not points, how much does it cost to convert it to points?

Visiting WDW Since 1982

you need to contact the resort itself for that information

Stan

Ok, last question(maybe). If I buy a timeshare that is weeks, not points, how much does it cost to convert it to points?
    I honestly don't know if you can.
    Shannon

Visiting WDW Since 1982

OUR resort had a program to do that conversion. But if your resort doesn't offer it I don't believe you can convert. That's why you need to contact the resort and ask them that question. And don't be put off because you're buying resale - they encourage it, as they would much rather have active owners (paying dues) than not.

Stan