Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: Invasion of the Large Family: Being the Pack Mule

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: Invasion of the Large Family: Being the Pack Mule

Invasion of the Large Family: Being the Pack Mule by Contributing Writer

Contributing writer Joe Needham talks about strategies for toting stuff around the parks with you.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

We have rules about "stuff" in the parks -- first, if you buy something early in the day, you have to carry it yourself all day. We encourage everyone to wait to make purchases until later in the day. Not only does this stop impulse purchases and encourage thought about what each person wants, it also keeps the amount of toting down to a minimum. We (the adults) also won't carry anything deemed "unnecessary" for the children. We'll carry water, snacks, sunscreen, hats, umbrellas, etc., but we won't carry electronics, stuffed animals, books, or anything else like that.

We've been at WDW with family groups as large as 17, and, on those occasions, a locker rental is a must. Yes, it's inconvenient having to trek all the way back to the park entrance to retrieve stuff, but it beats having to deal with back-breaking backpacks and tote bags. When using a locker at the Magic Kingdom, a trip on the train to the Main Street Train Station makes for a nice mid-afternoon break, both for our feet and for the snack that awaits us in the locker.

I am usually the sherpa of the family, and once the kids finished using strollers (oh, they were so convenient to carry stuff...and, um, kids), we began using lockers regularly. It was easy to come to the park in the morning with sweatshirts, some snacks, extra water bottles, and offload it into a locker for later in the day. I really REALLY appreciate the electronic lockers that allow access whenever you want.

As far as purchasing stuff goes, we tend to not do it unless the stuff goes directly into the locker or right before we leave the park for the day. Or...we send stuff to our hotel. No sense toting it around!

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

One bag I have found to be super helpful, is created by camelback. It is one of their larger ones and contains a 3 liter bladder in it. People give me weird looks as I start drinking from the straw over my shoulder, but I can't believe how many people have never heard of these! My answer to the I am thirsty and WANT something sweet, is take a hit of this. The water stays cool and because it is kept close to your body, is not terrible. I usually do not fill up all 3 liters. My bag has plenty of space and even a stuff compartment with no zippers for bulky items like a sweatshirt. Yes it does take some time to go through security, about 10 seconds longer than a 2 section bag.

As for souvenirs, we are allowed 1 item per trip, we only purchase after the park has closed. You know the drill, might as well enjoy our time if we must wait anyways strategy. And yes, massive plush Mickeys are not allowed to be purchased.

We actually still use our stroller, even though the kids are a little too big to sit in it. I stuff that sucker with the extra clothes/jackets/hat bag, the snacks and water bag, etc. Then we leave it parked in a central area in whatever land we are in and retrieve it when we move on. Very handy, kind of like a locker on wheels.