Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: So long "Little Red," hello zebras! Kilimanjaro savanna is expanding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So long "Little Red," hello zebras! Kilimanjaro savanna is expanding

I was very pleased to see the news on the Disney Parks Blog this morning that Disney World will be removing the "Little Red" animatronic toward the end of the Kilimanjaro Safaris in favor of an expanded savanna area watering hole. I've always found the fake poacher storyline tiresome after repeated rides, but endure it in order to be able to see the animals and savanna. It's great that they will be expanding the real stuff in place of the fake.

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Hey, that's great! It's past time for that to go bye-bye.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

This is a great change. I always thought the poacher story was kind of lame and it got more so after multiple rides.

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

From an adult perspective I agree. But my daughter has loved this age 5, 7 and 9....... She will ask where Little Red is next August!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ha ha! I can hear the looped track over and over..."Simba 1, come in Simba 1"....I'm glad it's going to be updated, it's time for something new.

Stephanie

Visiting WDW Since 1982

I did notice on our last visit that the cars were actually stopping in places so that pictures could be taken without the effect of the bumpy ride. Most passengers thanked the driver for those stops. Maybe there should be a separate kids version, but most people we talked to would greatly appreciate a longer ride with more real animals. That park is just too fantastic a place to waste it on Little Red and the like.

Stan

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It makes me if the whole "watch out for poachers" backstory is going to have to be changed or removed because of this change as well. And if so, how will it be changed?

Personally, I think this sort of change is good... not minding it at all.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

^ Yes, hopefully they will expand the themed stories beyond the investigation & enforcement "poacher" story. Perhaps they could rotate an information & education themed story, an inspection & monitoring story, etc. you know - like that. All very low-key of course (remember how intrusive the Big Red story was when it was first introduced?)

As long as it's not a cowboy and a gangster story...they've already done that.

“When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    From an adult perspective I agree. But my daughter has loved this age 5, 7 and 9....... She will ask where Little Red is next August!
    He grew up, possibly he got a job working the Jungle Cruise.

Wandering lonely as a cloud...
    Quote Originally Posted by palmickey View Post
    He grew up, possibly he got a job working the Jungle Cruise.
    That is funny!
    The mosquito's food of choice, primitive humanoid lifeforms, have colonies all over that planet.

"some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"-311

I agree that this is a very positive change. I didn't like the whole poacher story the first time I went to AK, or the many times I've been back since. I look forward to seeing the new watering hole for the zebras!

Tony S.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/][/url]

Blog Entries

I enjoy just hearing Simba 1! My fianc always says that to get my attention when we are in WDW.

I am excited for the change though. I secretly hope they keep Simba 1 somehow...

Kristin

Wishes he could be watching Wishes. RunninDisney's Avatar

Changes to Kilimanjaro Safari

Sorry if this was already posted, but I just saw where Disney is making changes to Kilimanjaro Safari. I'll like seeing the extra animals, but I did kinda like the whole catch the poachers thing.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
    -1 Corinthians 9:24

While I didn't mind the toned down version of the poacher storyline they've run in recent years, seeing the fake baby elephant in the truck at the end of a great 'safari' was always jarring. I do believe that it confused some of the younger children.

Anyhow as a tradeoff, there will still apparently be a conservation theme and we'll now get to see live zebras. More animals are always a good thing.

“When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Has it started yet? I don't care much for seeing Zebra's as we have tons at our zoo but a toned down storyline and one that focuses more on conservation would be nice.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Quote Originally Posted by Barberella View Post
    While I didn't mind the toned down version of the poacher storyline they've run in recent years, seeing the fake baby elephant in the truck at the end of a great 'safari' was always jarring. I do believe that it confused some of the younger children.
    Do you? I think it was perfect for younger children. Did zero for me but I have taken younger children for the last 5 years and they were not at all confused by this. I'm not sure why you would think it confused them. It was designed for them. JMHO of course.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Changes to Kilimanjaro Safari

Rode today. Poacher storyline is gone and that area is being turned into savannah. Our driver talked about a re-introduction project and said the new animals were migrating and would arrive by August.

Is there absolutely no storyline now? Just a tour thing talking about the animals we see? Thanks for the answer.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

I hated the poacher storyline. After hearing it over 30 times it gets to be a bit much.

Just give me one more day at Disney magicalmoments's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmkeech View Post
    Rode today. Poacher storyline is gone and that area is being turned into savannah. Our driver talked about a re-introduction project and said the new animals were migrating and would arrive by August.
    Cool, so by the time I go in September, hopefully the new story line will be in place
    Cristabel

Quote Originally Posted by RunninDisney View Post
    ...but I did kinda like the whole catch the poachers thing.
    From what I've read online you're one of the few that liked the poachers element of the ride. I didn't mind it, but I'm not really sad to see it gone.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

My kids liked the poacher storyline and "saving Little Red." I didn't have strong feelings about it either way, but I did think it was a good reminder that these amazing animals are still in danger from poachers and more needs to be done to protect them.

And part of why I thought it was "good" was that it was well integrated into the ride and not too heavy-handed.

Visiting WDW Since 1982

The problem I had with the ride was that they would rush us through the animal viewing areas - most of the time not stopping long enough to get a picture or even a good look, and then dwell on the "poacher" story. Quite frankly, most of the people to come to the animal viewing areas come to, well, view the animals (DUH!!). But the last two times we went they made a switch and began to stop for a while at each animal area so we could see, and take pictures of, the animals! What a welcome change! And now this - dropping the story line in favor of more animal viewing. BRAVO!!!!

Stan

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

We went on the ride a couple days ago. I get what they were trying for with the poacher storyline and I didn't mind it, but I prefer it without it. And I disagree that it needs a story. Yes, Disney is about theming, but that's the theme here - these are live animals. It's not a zoo so there's no guarantee you'll see any particular animal. Even with the rest of the park, they generally have enclosures, not cages, which isn't as good for the paying guests but much better for the animals, which I prefer.

There is one section where the driver finds a local radio station and the music plays for a bit but that's really the only radio interaction.

The savannah story is that it's land they recently got back from farmers who had pushed the animals out. No animals were there yet, but they said maybe in a few more weeks.

We had pretty good luck with seeing quite a few giraffes and rhinos and elephants. The lions were scarce - we only saw the head of one lionness. I did see 2 cheetahs, so I was happy about that.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...